Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Purging Regret (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/purging-regret-285929/)

awolfe 02-26-2019 03:21 PM

Purging Regret

Moving to TV this summer. Based on advice on TOTV I am getting rid of most of my stuff in my 30 year old house. Was there anything you ‘left behind’ that you wish you brought along? Eg card table, coolers, fans?

fw102807 02-26-2019 03:26 PM

Honestly I wish we would have gotten rid of more.

BK001 02-26-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1628377)

You read my mind and beat me to the punch! My sentiments exactl.

Dan9871 02-26-2019 03:28 PM

Same thing here. Wish we had gotten rid of more....

vintageogauge 02-26-2019 03:32 PM

We brought very little and it was still too much. We do mow our own lawn so bringing the mower etc. was a winner.

NotGolfer 02-26-2019 03:44 PM

We purged A LOT of "stuff" and I regretted only not saving some of the Christmas items (not many just a few) as well as the winter clothing I got rid of. When it gets cold here (we learned the hard way) you can't find the jackets and sweaters that "might" be needed. Once here though, we still had a HUGE amount of items that we got rid of right away due to not having the room for it. Amazing the items we accrue over the years of "non-essentials". We're still purging nearly 10 yrs later.

DeanFL 02-26-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awolfe (Post 1628375)
Moving to TV this summer. Based on advice on TOTV I am getting rid of most of my stuff in my 30 year old house. Was there anything you ‘left behind’ that you wish you brought along? Eg card table, coolers, fans?

...Was there anything you ‘left behind’ that you wish you brought along?

only thing that comes to mind is...the wife. tried to, but she found her way down to my new place in The Villages eventually...

fyi> complete tongue-in-cheek.

BK001 02-26-2019 04:19 PM

Since none of us are able to come up with things we regret not taking, here are some tips I used to help me purge a little deeper.

1. I took pictures of all those "sentimental" tchotchkes, souvenirs, wedding favors and other similar "treasures" which made it easier for me to part with them.

2. I gave away all my books and bought a Kindle.

3. I uploaded my extensive CD collection into itunes.

4. I mercilessly purged through the family photos and discarded the pictures of cakes, backs of people dancing on wedding floors, duplicates, scenery/people that I no longer recognize, etc. and sent the rest out to be put onto a couple of DVDs. This was so worth the relatively small investment!

5. As someone whose weight has fluctuated quite bit, I found I had clothes in every size. I am determined to only keep clothes that fit me now! Also, I brought way too many pairs of shoes -- many of which I will never, ever use down here! So I gave them to Good Will (just recently) -- after almost 3 years here in TV, I am still purging. LOL.

6. Cooking and Baking items continue to be a problem -- it appears I own every kitchen gadget known to man. I am not yet emotionally prepared to discard a lot of them but it is on my list to tackle soon. I wish I had done it before we moved -- out of sight, out of mind. But we all have our secret vices I guess.

I hope this little list helps you. Good luck with your move --you are going to love it here!

retiredguy123 02-26-2019 04:31 PM

I liquidated a 5 bedroom house and got rid of everything I owned, except clothes and a computer. Moved in to the Comfort Suites for a month before buying a house. I was amazed at how easy and inexpensive it was to replace it all, and how free I felt. After living in my new house for a month, I realized that I didn't have any salt and pepper shakers. Had to go to Publix.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-26-2019 04:36 PM

My husband is going to keep all our record albums. The vinyl ones. I told him we should just get rid of them. We haven't used our stereo system since 1998, give or take a year, and I think we should get rid of that too. To someone who would actually use it and appreciate it, instead of all this equipment and milk crates full of albums sit unused and forgotten, filling up space in our pickup that could be better used for maybe an end table or bedroom furniture.

Taltarzac725 02-26-2019 04:41 PM

Got rid of most of my art books in one move, lost the law text books in the next, and out went the textbooks in the last move. And the libraries would not take these old text books so that got the last of my fancy books. I just buy more. They are a lot more expensive then there were in the 1970s though.

pdgerl 02-26-2019 04:48 PM

My woodworking tools. Gave all to my son in NY. I was expecting to join woodworking club. Good luck with that.

BK001 02-26-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1628415)
My husband is going to keep all our record albums. The vinyl ones. I told him we should just get rid of them. We haven't used our stereo system since 1998, give or take a year, and I think we should get rid of that too. To someone who would actually use it and appreciate it, instead of all this equipment and milk crates full of albums sit unused and forgotten, filling up space in our pickup that could be better used for maybe an end table or bedroom furniture.

Oh no. I went through that with my DH's extensive collection of VHS Boxed Sets - The Complete John Wayne, StarWars, Twilight Zone, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum - none of which he ever watched. I finally convinced him that they were worth nothing (who uses VHS anymore?) and we gave them away - even that was not easy since most didn't want them. And forget about selling. But I promised if he ever wanted to watch something, I'd buy it for him on DVD. He's never taken me up on my offer.

But, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still, so we need to wisely choose our battles.

Rapscallion St Croix 02-26-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdgerl (Post 1628420)
My woodworking tools. Gave all to my son in NY. I was expecting to join woodworking club. Good luck with that.

Metalworking here. Had a full fabrication shop out back. I miss it big time.

Topspinmo 02-26-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1628377)

Honestly, I wish I could of kept it all. :duck: