Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Best place for batteries? Install myself? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/best-place-batteries-install-myself-285971/)

luperona9 02-27-2019 08:10 AM

Best place for batteries? Install myself?

What is currently the best place to buy batteries? How much can you saving with self installation?

Need six 8 volt batteries for a club car. Is it worth it to change to eight 6 volt?

Much appreciated.

raynan 02-27-2019 08:17 AM

We found Battery Boys were the best but they install too.

leftyf 02-27-2019 09:05 AM

We use Ken Spano and I would never change my own batteries

thetruth 02-27-2019 10:43 AM

The battery confusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by luperona9 (Post 1628525)
What is currently the best place to buy batteries? How much can you saving with self installation?

Need six 8 volt batteries for a club car. Is it worth it to change to eight 6 volt?

Much appreciated.

Most current golf carts are 48 volts. Each cell of a lead acid battery is two volts. Thus if you look at a 6 volt battery it will have three fill caps-3 cells x 2 is 6 volts. Common ways to achieve 48 volts is 4 12 volt batteries, 6 8 volt batteries or 8 6 volt batteries. It is more than the voltage that gives you the range-run time. It is also how much current the batteries can hold ampere hours. You can think of it as the size of the bucket or perhaps the size of the gas tank.

The question of using 6 8v or 8 6v is not a simple either or.
Assuming you now have 6 8v, installing 8 6v batteries may require expensive modification. More wiring, perhaps a new battery holder etc. Some batteries have more ampere hours than others. This is done by modifying the plates. Everything is a trade off. They must use thinner insulation between plates and that can make the battery more subject to shock and vibration.

It is worth the cost? Only you can decide. The longevity, useful life of a 12v,8v,6v lead acid battery will all be about the same.

Lithium Ion batteries are now becoming available for golf carts.
They cost more, have a longer life than lead acid batteries and store more current in the same space.

Arctic Fox 02-27-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

We have used Battery Boys and have been pleased with their work.

It may be cheaper to buy elsewhere and self-install but remember (1) batteries are very heavy, so take it slowly, and (2) you have to dispose of the old ones.

While the shop you buy from may take them, that's a lot of lugging around of batteries, and you'd need to make good notes of how they are installed in the cart from a wiring perspective.

stan the man 02-27-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftyf (Post 1628546)
We use Ken Spano and I would never change my own batteries

I used to use ken spano but have not used him after three bad experiences

N44125 02-27-2019 11:25 AM

Another vote for Battery Boys.

PaulDenise 02-27-2019 12:29 PM

If you want to try to do it yourself, Rural King has good prices on average batteries.

Joeint 02-27-2019 06:05 PM

Be careful DC won't let go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rollie 02-28-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1628600)
I used to use ken spano but have not used him after three bad experiences

We were also Ken Spano customers, but after the last couple of times decided to go to Battery Boys, and have been happy ever since.

Rollie

JimJohnson 02-28-2019 06:26 AM

I used battery boys last time. My batteries are showing signs of weakening and their only 5 years old. I will use battery boys again and it looks like that will be within two more years.

DeanFL 02-28-2019 08:48 AM

I'm a DIY type of guy. 2 electric carts since moving to TV 6 years ago. Each required repl batteries.

Both times, after much research decided to go with Battery Boys. Both times - the install was very professional. Our Yamaha a few years ago needed rust-cleaning and painting in the battery bay - BB guy took a long time to clean and restore before batt install - beautiful. Our Tomberlin just required batt removal and new install.

They perform testing afterwards and good instruction, warranty.

Would never try DIY for batt repl myself. Too risky, too difficult in order to possibly save a few bucks.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 02-28-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Much appreciated.

I believe that if you want to change to eight 6-volt batteries that some modifications involving welding to the battery compartment are necessary.

Brawnwy123 02-28-2019 11:13 AM

Batteries

Quote:

Much appreciated.

Best ti call Battery Boys or Par Car guys on 441. they are very good on advice, they are honest and seem to be very professional and good to deal with.

:bigbow: