Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Best place to sell silverware set? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/best-place-sell-silverware-set-286504/)

CharTalk 03-05-2019 10:14 AM

Best place to sell silverware set?

I need to sell a complete set Oneida Tudor Plate silverware. I’ve never done this before. Any advice on how to get the best price?

bluedivergirl 03-05-2019 12:50 PM

I went through a phase where I collected vintage flatware. Sadly, silverplate as a precious metal has little value. The value is in the beauty of the piece.

A good starting point is E-Bay. You can search for your pattern, and get a feel for what others have paid. I have purchased many pieces from E-Bay. If you choose to sell on E-Bay, be careful of shipping charges. I assume your set is fairly heavy.

Another possibility is Replacements.com. If your set is desirable, they will buy it.

You could check into consignment at an antique shop, but they will take a bite out of the sale.

Good luck!

ETA: After a little research, there are several Tudor patterns. This link should help: How to Identify Oneida Tudor Silver Plate Patterns | Our Pastimes

PaulDenise 03-05-2019 01:37 PM

Doesn't look like it is worth much if it is this type:

Vintage Set of Oneida Community, Tudor Plate Silverware, Flatware--47 Pieces | eBay

If the 'plate' in the description means silver plated, then there is very little silver in the 'silverware'.

When silver was double and triple the current price, I sold some to a company that melted it down. They would only take real 'sterling' silver. After subtracting the 10% of weight that was not real silver and their 10% commission, it was funny how little a set was worth. Seemed a shame to melt it down.

An additional problem is that 'the young people' don't really want real silverware. It has gone the way of china sets and things like that.

Do let us know what you find out about your set.

Bogie Shooter 03-05-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedivergirl (Post 1630191)
I went through a phase where I collected vintage flatware. Sadly, silverplate as a precious metal has little value. The value is in the beauty of the piece.

A good starting point is E-Bay. You can search for your pattern, and get a feel for what others have paid. I have purchased many pieces from E-Bay. If you choose to sell on E-Bay, be careful of shipping charges. I assume your set is fairly heavy.

Another possibility is Replacements.com. If your set is desirable, they will buy it.

You could check into consignment at an antique shop, but they will take a bite out of the sale.

Good luck!

ETA: After a little research, there are several Tudor patterns. This link should help: How to Identify Oneida Tudor Silver Plate Patterns | Our Pastimes

Buyers on EBay pay the shipping.

retiredguy123 03-05-2019 03:08 PM

Who are these young people? I'm not young, and have always hated any type of silverware that tarnishes and you can't even wash it in the dishwasher. It never made any sense to me. What is the point?

Challenger 03-05-2019 03:09 PM

Give it to someone who really need flatware . Sold two similar sets before leaving Maryland for $35.00. Sold two full 8 place settings of Narataki china @ $35 apiece. Had to give away stamp collection to get it out of house. Hummels went for $2.00.

Hope you can do better but !

asianthree 03-05-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1630237)
Who are these young people? I'm not young, and have always hated any type of silverware that tarnishes and you can't even wash it in the dishwasher. It never made any sense to me. What is the point?

In our home it’s about tradition. We still use Christmas dishes that must be hand washed. I hand wash all of my wine glasses. It’s 15 minutes out of my day, not a big deal.
When kids and grands put their I Want stickers on our things, my dishes, crystal and silver, were wanted by all. They are now in negotiations on who gets to pick first.
For them it’s about memories, I was pleasantly surprised and glad to see family time at the table is as important now as it was when they were living at home. They still talk about everyone sitting around cleaning the silver talking about things and passing on stories from the past.

Retiring 03-06-2019 11:22 AM

As you might have guessed by now silverware has more sentimental value than monetary. If you are unable to sell it perhaps you would consider donating the set to your favorite charity and taking the tax break.