Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Softball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/softball-335/)
-   -   Afternoon Softball? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/softball-335/afternoon-softball-286573/)

Polar Bear 03-05-2019 09:11 PM

Afternoon Softball?

Riding past Buffalo Softball fields today around 2:00 or so, I saw plenty of activity on the softball fields. It could have been practice or something casual, but it looked like league play, with uniforms and such. It got me to wondering...

Are there afternoon softball leagues in TV? Or even some sort of non-league but regular play? I'm one of those rarities in the senior community who's not a morning person. I'd love afternoon or even evening play. And yes...I'm aware of the heat in the summer...bring it on! I have my father's genes...heat is no problem!! :) But I'm talking about any season of the year.

Thanks in advance for your input.

beachbound577 03-05-2019 10:09 PM

Pick up games (open play) every Wed and Sunday 2pm, Saddlebrook Softball Complex. Just bring a glove. Bats are provided. Check the weekly Rec Guide for more info.

VillageIdiots 03-06-2019 06:12 AM

There is a softball "open play" that is advertised often in the recreation news. However, there is a league called the CFL (central florida league) and I believe they play on Tuesday afternoons, so that is likely what you were seeing.

John_W 03-06-2019 08:43 AM

spring_chicken 03-06-2019 10:14 AM

It is RBL. They play at 2 and 3:30 on Tuesday afternoons. They don't play summer season because of the heat. They do not allow D1 men to play in this league any longer. They grandfathered the ones who were already playing and there is only 1 left. Divisions 2-5 comprise the league now.

Polar Bear 03-06-2019 12:47 PM

Does anybody have a person I could contact with a few questions about the RBL? It sounds very interesting to me. Only one potential issue. I was evaluated at level 1 in 2013 and played one season in D1 before knee replacement surgery. I've only played Neighborhood D1/2 leagues since then. Due to greatly reduced speed and agility, I highly doubt I would be evaluated as D1 any longer.

Is there somebody I could ask about this? (I went to the website given, but there is no contact information. Some officers are listed, but no phone numbers or email addresses.)

John_W 03-06-2019 01:31 PM

spring_chicken 03-06-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1630515)
Does anybody have a person I could contact with a few questions about the RBL? It sounds very interesting to me. Only one potential issue. I was evaluated at level 1 in 2013 and played one season in D1 before knee replacement surgery. I've only played Neighborhood D1/2 leagues since then. Due to greatly reduced speed and agility, I highly doubt I would be evaluated as D1 any longer.

Is there somebody I could ask about this? (I went to the website given, but there is no contact information. Some officers are listed, but no phone numbers or email addresses.)

You are allowed to be re-evaluated any time you want. Tuesday mornings at Buffalo.

Bosoxfan 03-06-2019 03:00 PM

The Central Florida league is now playing Tuesday afternoons

Polar Bear 03-06-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 1630558)
The Central Florida league is now playing Tuesday afternoons

Do you have any info on that league?

Bosoxfan 03-06-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1630614)
Do you have any info on that league?

I know they play Tuesday afternoons at Sadlebrook. They get the fields after division 5 recreation league is finished. John Wyks is the commissioner the last I knew