Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Beware of Sunscape Landscaping (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/beware-sunscape-landscaping-28662/)

Catalina34 03-05-2010 08:13 AM

Sunscape landscaping

Once again I used SUNSCAPE LAWN & LANDSCAPING to give my lanai a little more privacy. Jeff Revis and his crew did an awesome job on enhansing my lanai. The professionalism and workmanship is just the best. You will not find any better - and I'm fussy. His number is: 352-223-7850
Regards -
Jim Rose

BB14616 03-05-2010 08:16 AM

Do you have anypictures to post? We've been thinking of doing some landscaping out back and need some ideas. thanks!

Army Guy 03-05-2010 08:47 AM

I will second the recommendation of Jeff and crew at Sunscape. You may find cheaper, but none better. Remember you get what you pay for. The biggest thing about Sunscape is their, "service after the sale". They routinely ride by to see how things are coming along, and if it doesn't look right they will correct it for no cost, with a smile.
Sunscape is THEE only choice for quality landscaping in TV.

Army Guy

k2at 04-19-2010 08:29 AM

Beware of Sunscape Landscaping

On the advice of people on the blog, I contacted Jeff from Sunscape Landscaping to landscape my house for a cost of almost $5,000. I specifically told him to only plant freeze resistant plants. I said he was the expert and I would leave it to him. He totally disregarded my request for freeze resistant plants and actually planted tropical plants. The result was that 33 out of 37 plants died. As a side note he planted everything in December after telling me there would be no problem planting that late in the year. I am from up north and so I treated him as the expert. Since the latter part of January, I have left Jeff too many emails and too many phone calls all of which have gone unanswered. He refuses to talk to me AT ALL. Short of going to small claims court I am at a loss as to how to get ahold of this gentleman. When he is initially doing a project he is accessible, but once he gets ur money in his hands, he becomes a phantom.

I would not recommend Sunscape Landscaping to anyone and if u are foolish enough to use them, I would recommend highly you prepare an iron-clad contract.

I repeat, USE SUNSCAPE LANDSCAPING AT YOU OWN PERIL!! The owner IS NOT an honorable individual.

Jeff, I look forward to your rebuttle as there is no other way to contact you.

l2ridehd 04-19-2010 11:40 AM

I had him come to my home to give me an estimate for some work. I spent time talking to him, which plants he recommended, cost, and ongoing work taking care of shrubs and lawn. Something just did not feel right. He bugged me for a while, but finally gave up. Sorry about your experience, but I am not really surprised.

champion6 04-19-2010 12:20 PM

Wow! These reports are quite contrary to those given by many others in this forum. Confusing and interesting.

Barefoot 04-19-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 260430)
Wow! These reports are quite contrary to those given by many others in this forum. Confusing and interesting.

Double wow. This is really bizarre. A lot of people have raved about Sunscape Landscaping. I had Jeff to my house for an estimate but haven't used them as yet. And of course, now I would be hesitant.

K2at, I feel extremely sorry for you. Being from up north, a lot of us just give landscapers free rein as experts. It just doesn't seem that there could be a good excuse for the lack of communication you are experiencing.

I think Sunscape was advertising on TOTV. Hopefully Jeff will read this thread and respond.

redwitch 04-19-2010 01:12 PM

I've had friends and clients who have absolutely loved Sunscape. I've had others who spit when they hear the name. Guess it depends on what they wanted done. Those who wanted the tropical landscaping seemed to be pretty happy. Those who wanted something other were highly dissatisfied.

Sadly, hiring a landscaper seems to be one of the riskier undertakings in TV -- you really don't know what you're getting until the job is done. No matter how good of a job they did on your friend's or neighbor's is no guaranty that you're going to be happy with the job on your lawn. On top of that, you frequently have to pay at least a portion up front because their costs are so high.

The best thing you can do is try to educate yourself as much as possible as to what you want. Learn about local plants if you possibly can. Talk to as many people who do their own gardening or are master gardeners as possible. Definitely talk to several landscapers and ask LOTS of questions.

I'm sorry you had such a miserable experience. Jeff's attitude towards you is inexcusable. At the very least, it seems he could have offered some sort of compromise to replace at least some of the dead plants. While I understand (and sympathize) that no one expected such an extreme freeze as we had and that standard planting didn't have a chance of survival because of that freeze, at least Jeff could offer to replace the tropical plants. The hardier plants should have been fine given a normal Florida winter, so I could see him not being willing to replace all of the plants.

k2at 04-19-2010 01:16 PM

I am really a very easy going guy and far too trustworthy. I assume a professional is a professional. I would have preferred if Jeff simply left me an email or a phone message saying the problem is mine. I could have then come to closure in my own mind. But to refuse to communicate with a concerned customer is inexcuseable. After 3 months of grief, I just hired another contractor for an additional $1200 to redo the job.

BEWARE OF SUNSCAPE LANDSCAPE.

actor 04-19-2010 02:12 PM

Thanks for the warning

I'll scratch Sunscape from my list.

Xavier 04-19-2010 02:27 PM

Word of mouth is the best advertising or your worst nightmare. No Sunscape on my property.

X

graciegirl 04-19-2010 02:29 PM

I hope it is not a total loss. Some of my frosted bushes are just now sprouting from the ground. It was an usually cold winter here.

MelZ 04-19-2010 02:32 PM

This is the Landscaper version of the Ponzi Scheme:

Landscaper does good work at reasonable price:MOJE_whot:

Landscaper builds up his business reputation:blahblahblah:

Landscaper uses good references to screw new customerschilout

Since I will be in the Market for a landscaper this summer I am at a loss :grumpy:

coloradoavs 04-19-2010 04:46 PM

Sunscape Landscaping

We also had a horrible experience with Sunscape. We hired Jeff for lancscaping of flower beds and curbing. His curbing was the worse we have ever seen. Your are correct, you never hear from him on warrantry issues. Our last correspondence with Jeff was on January 7, 2010 when he even admitted in writing that his curbing was "sub par" work and he accpets full responsibility and will take care of the problem accordingly. We have given him a date on our next return(in several emails + phone calls) in order for him to correct his poor workmanship. Of course we have not heard from him since.

Sincerly,
Coloradoavs

njbchbum 04-19-2010 05:53 PM

i'd be tempted to put a sign in my lawn or window [within the parameters of your covenants, of course] to the effect that the landscaping was poorly done by sunscape...or put a sign in your cart or car and park it in spanish springs or sumter landing on market nites...maybe that would get him to call you back.