Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Proposed new rental laws in Florida? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/proposed-new-rental-laws-florida-286886/)

Blacke00 03-10-2019 10:16 AM

Proposed new rental laws in Florida?

As a new member to this forum I have a question.

What impact will the proposed change in "rental law"( state vs local control) have on renting in the Villages, if any?

Ron_Ski 03-10-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacke00 (Post 1631466)
As a new member to this forum I have a question.

What impact will the proposed change in "rental law"( state vs local control) have on renting in the Villages, if any?

Could you post a link to what the changes entail.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-10-2019 07:04 PM

Found this on google, pretty sure this is what he's talking about: Two bills seek state preemption in regulating vacation rentals | Florida | watchdog.org

Toymeister 03-10-2019 08:21 PM

The answer is simple, if the oversight/regulations become too burdensome there will be fewer rentals available. The question is will the oversight amount to much of anything or is it merely a revenue grab by the state. I have my suspicions that too much revenue, the the form of occupancy tax, has gone unreported and this is a way to curb that.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-10-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1631618)
The answer is simple, if the oversight/regulations become too burdensome there will be fewer rentals available. The question is will the oversight amount to much of anything or is it merely a revenue grab by the state. I have my suspicions that too much revenue, the the form of occupancy tax, has gone unreported and this is a way to curb that.

That's all probably true but I honestly don't think it'll affect most rentals in The Villages. These are *mostly* not Airbnb rentals, and most of them are longer than "short term" rentals. People typically stay two weeks to a year or more. The two-week ones might be subject to the new rules, but the longer ones would not.

Blacke00 03-11-2019 08:42 AM

Thanks for the input. Similar law changes were enacted in Wisconsin and I'm not sure if it's in all the property owners best interest. We'll have to see.

Laker14 03-11-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacke00 (Post 1631694)
Thanks for the input. Similar law changes were enacted in Wisconsin and I'm not sure if it's in all the property owners best interest. We'll have to see.

Would you expect it to be in the property owners' best interests?

Topspinmo 03-11-2019 12:35 PM

IMO retirement HOA shouldn’t allow rentals. Like 55 and over community like this one. And they shouldn’t allow our amenities to be passed out like candy that we pay for monthly. :boom:

stan the man 03-11-2019 01:01 PM

Retirement communities such as the villages should not allow rentals what we need now is vigilantes in a golf cart with a clipboard--- maybe just a word to the IRS to see if the income properties being reported

Two Bills 03-11-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1631786)
IMO retirement HOA shouldn’t allow rentals. Like 55 and over community like this one. And they shouldn’t allow our amenities to be passed out like candy that we pay for monthly. :boom:

If they stop rentals, the owners not here all year round should get discount on amenity fees for months not here, and full timers should make up the deficit with their amenity fees!
Snowbirds still pay a full years fees, why should they not be able to pass on their ID to Renters?
They pay the same fees as you.

trichard 03-12-2019 12:04 PM

Bull

Vikingjunior 03-12-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1631786)

The Villages is not a 55 and over community.

Two Bills 03-12-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trichard (Post 1632044)
Bull

Of course!

SouthOfTheBorder 03-12-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingjunior (Post 1632060)
The Villages is not a 55 and over community.

Taken from The Villages Sales website:

"The Villages is a 55+ active adult retirement community located in central Florida, and is ranked number one in the United States for active-adult retirement communities."