Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Hey dopey! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/hey-dopey-287249/)

fishon 03-15-2019 09:12 AM

Hey dopey!

Learn to walk on the correct side of the street.
If there is a sidewalk, use it!

Chellybean 03-15-2019 09:24 AM

I am not sure what you are talking about or what you consider the correct side of the street?
But with all the adult consumption of alcohol and poor driving skills and aging community, i would only feel comfortable with walking toward the traffic coming at me.
JMHO

vintageogauge 03-15-2019 10:06 AM

For every person walking there is one less car, bike, or golf car on the roads so why complain about how they are walking, how bad can they be?

Rango 03-15-2019 10:42 AM

:popcorn:

thetruth 03-15-2019 12:24 PM

These threads always turn stupid

Even the term,"an accident," is incorrect. Almost every,"accident,"
is avoidable.

All you can truly control is what you are doing. You cannot control what the other person is doing.

As my long departed father used to say-expect them to do the stupidest possible thing because that is exactly what they are going to do.

dewilson58 03-15-2019 12:38 PM

Okay Grumpy.

Love, Sneezy.

pklein9747 03-15-2019 12:45 PM

I know what you're talking about. There has a been a woman running on Odell Circle in the golf cart lane facing traffic. But there's a sidewalk that runs the entire length of Odell on the other side of street. Why is she putting her life...and those of the people in the carts...in danger?

Arctic Fox 03-15-2019 12:49 PM

I was running along the multi-model by 466 this morning around 08.45, facing traffic, when a woman barrelling along in a gas cart (estimated speed 25mph) failed to move over, forcing me on to the grass (luckily it wasn't a hedge at that point).

Other times I have been on the split section of that path and carts have moved over but continued at 25+mph

Most people move over AND slow down but there are always some idiots who forget they have a steering wheel and brakes.

In some circumstances (usually if I would have no place to escape to) I run with the traffic - it gives the driver much more time to see me and take evasive action. In 40 years of running I have never been hit from behind whereas, if I hadn't jumped out of the way, I would certainly have been hit from the front on many occasions.

So, while I try to obey the "law" I adapt to take account of the (thankfully) few selfish idiots that are out there.

dewilson58 03-15-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1632855)
I was running along the multi-model by 466 this morning around 08.45, facing traffic, when a woman barrelling along in a gas cart (estimated speed 25mph) failed to move over, forcing me on to the grass (luckily it wasn't a hedge at that point).

Other times I have been on the split section of that path and carts have moved over but continued at 25+mph

Most people move over AND slow down but there are always some idiots who forget they have a steering wheel and brakes.

In some circumstances (usually if I would have no place to escape to) I run with the traffic - it gives the driver much more time to see me and take evasive action. In 40 years of running I have never been hit from behind whereas, if I hadn't jumped out of the way, I would certainly have been hit from the front on many occasions.

So, while I try to obey the "law" I adapt to take account of the (thankfully) few selfish idiots that are out there.

ALWAYS run (or walk) facing traffic.............It only takes on idiot and unfortunately, there is more than one.

Be Safe!!

Topspinmo 03-15-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1632855)

I don’t take no chances, I step off on the grass or up on the curve. Ever since I had some idiot swerve over and try to hit me. I don’t give them the chance.

Topspinmo 03-15-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1632857)
ALWAYS run (or walk) facing traffic.............It only takes on idiot and unfortunately, there is more than one.

Be Safe!!

Don’t forget about the blind spots and sun glare in mornings and evening

fishon 03-15-2019 01:28 PM

Hey dopey!

Use ya blinka!

Villagevip 03-15-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1632802)
Learn to walk on the correct side of the street.
If there is a sidewalk, use it!

This why, we can't have nice things....

trichard 03-15-2019 03:24 PM

This thread is really taking off! Time to mention “dog poop” and get everyone really agitated.

New Englander 03-15-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1632860)
I don’t take no chances, I step off on the grass or up on the curve. Ever since I had some idiot swerve over and try to hit me. I don’t give them the chance.

I do the same thing.