Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   ParCar battery issues (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/parcar-battery-issues-287378/)

Arctic Fox 03-16-2019 03:33 PM

ParCar battery issues

I have been reading some old threads on this but would appreciate some up-to-date comments in case things have changed.

We have just bought a 2014 ParCar. The owners replaced the batteries after three years, so the current 8x6v T105's are exactly two years old.

They seem in good condition - I have checked water levels, voltage and pH - but a full charge is lasting only around seven miles before the meter swings towards the red area. Once home, it takes only around one hour for them to be fully charged using the on-board charger.

The batteries on my 1999 ParCar (no regenerative braking, and external charger) usually lasted five years offering good mileage, than another year or two of reduced mileage, so it is a shock to be looking at a THIRD set of batteries on a 5-year old cart. Plus, a full recharge from 50% down would take several hours, so one hour seems unusually speedy.

If you have experienced a similar short battery life, did switching to an external charger help?

Thank you

EastCoastDawg 03-17-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1633173)
The owners replaced the batteries after three years, so the current 8x6v T105's are exactly two years old.

Have you checked the charger's algorithm?

If the cart originally came with batteries other than T105's then the algorithm may need to have been changed.

villagetinker 03-17-2019 10:49 AM

Try this, fully charge the cart, go out for 7 miles, park the cart, and leave the switch on and the lights on, then measure the voltage across each individual battery, it is possible you have a single battery going bad. Having the load (headlights) on I believe will give you a better reading as I have seen automotive batteries give "normal" voltage reading immediately after not being able to start the car. The battery had a bad cell that had no capacity, but still had normal voltage.
Hope this helps.

Arctic Fox 03-17-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1633337)
Try this...

Thank you, VT

I was trying to think of a way to load test the batteries without having Mrs Fox run alongside the cart with the voltmeter, so hopefully your headlight trick will be sufficient drain

Mikeod 03-17-2019 11:49 AM

We had a Par Car years ago and had the same problem. Left Caroline with a full charge and the meter showed 50% gone before we got to 466. Turns out the meter was bad. Replaced the meter and no problems after. VT’s advice will let you know if it’s a bad meter since if all batteries check out under load, the meter may be giving you bad info.

Arctic Fox 03-17-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1633359)
Turns out the meter was bad.

That's an interesting one, Mikeod. Will post results here once tested.

Have never liked the ParCar meter - showing battery drain rather than how much juice is actually left.

Arctic Fox 03-17-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg (Post 1633265)
Have you checked the charger's algorithm? If the cart originally came with batteries other than T105's then the algorithm may need to have been changed.

Just checked, and the algorithm is correctly set to 1.

Just as well, as I didn't fancy trying to change it and maybe mess things up even more!

TechGC 03-17-2019 05:20 PM

If the car has the original LED battery indicator, chances are good, its bad. If that is how you are judging the battery voltage, then you really cant go by that. Also, if the charger is shutting off and showing a green light, that too could show, that the gauge is bad. Using the cart, and then testing the batteries is a good why to test them and get an accurate reading on battery voltage, however on a par car, the suggestion to leave the lights on, is not a good idea, as on a par car, they run there lights on 2 batteries.
Id be surprised also that after a 7 mile usage, the charger shuts off after an hour.

Arctic Fox 03-19-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1633173)
We have just bought a 2014 ParCar. The owners replaced the batteries after three years, so the current 8x6v T105's are exactly two years old, but a full charge is lasting only around seven miles before the meter swings towards the red area. Then it takes only around one hour for them to be fully charged using the on-board charger.

BatteryBoys have tested and found charger to be working well, but one battery with a dead cell.

Hopefully, once that one is replaced, this set will last at least five years in total.