Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Dispose of oil from oil change? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/dispose-oil-oil-change-288718/)

MamaD 04-01-2019 05:59 PM

Dispose of oil from oil change?

We changed our own oil in golf cart....now we need to know where we can dispose of the old oil?

retiredguy123 04-01-2019 06:22 PM

I think you can just take it to a gas station where they do oil changes.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-01-2019 07:03 PM

Not all gas stations will take oil from outside sources. But if there's an AutoZone nearby, give them a call. Many of them will accept it for you. Motor oil is considered hazardous waste and only certain places will take it, because they have to pay for its eventual disposal.

drpepper 04-01-2019 07:16 PM

Walmart takes used oil. Go to the auto service counter. I take it in plastic jugs. Sign a booklet and drop it off.

villagetinker 04-01-2019 08:55 PM

Some of the auto parts stores will take the used oil also, what bugs me is they will not take the used filter (for cars), and these should never be put in the trash....

Topspinmo 04-02-2019 07:48 AM

Most sell the used oil have big container in back. I usually buy my oil at autozone and return the used oil there, put it back in the container I brought it in. 1 quart for golf cart and 5 quart container for the car. Just call the closest store to you and ask about used oil policy. When I got here I wasn’t going to do routine maintenance, but after when to deal and got POOR results and had to crawl under the car and drain out quart of oil cause they grossly over filed it decided I wasn’t going to pay premium price and get poor results, after all if the can’t change oil and check dip stick what else can the can’t do. Got cart glorified lawn mower engine so it’s very easy for 6 bucks quart oil. IMO most don’t have clue what service business do cause the don’t verify there work, they just get in and drive off thinking cause it dealership they going to do good job. Trust after verifying.

Number 10 GI 04-02-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1638110)
Not all gas stations will take oil from outside sources. But if there's an AutoZone nearby, give them a call. Many of them will accept it for you. Motor oil is considered hazardous waste and only certain places will take it, because they have to pay for its eventual disposal.

Used oil is sold to companies that reprocess it for use again in motor vehicles.

photo1902 04-02-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaD (Post 1638080)
We changed our own oil in golf cart....now we need to know where we can dispose of the old oil?

The Sumter County Landfill will accept it for no fee, as well as oil filters.