Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   World Cruise vs Independent Living Pros/Cons and Cons (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/world-cruise-vs-independent-living-pros-cons-cons-289082/)

Bleudeturquoise 04-06-2019 12:00 PM

World Cruise vs Independent Living Pros/Cons and Cons

Who has gone on World Cruise in lieu of going into Assisted Living

Your experience - cost etc

Single vs double occupancy

Thank you

asianthree 04-06-2019 12:16 PM

I think a travel agent could give you exact examples. Our friend went on one, only would say cost was over $100,000. But not exact amount. Independent living is different.

But if you need assisted living who would take care of you.

jane032657 04-06-2019 12:17 PM

I have had a lot of discussions about this with friends. I used to be an Assisted Living Administrator so know the business well. I think the cruise idea has a lot of value if you are healthy, have great mobility, do not need care of any kind, can afford the extras like laundry, like to be moving on the water all the time, do not want visitors too often, do not need medication management, physical therapy, support with any of the functions of daily living, don't need care if you get sick and someone to help you to washroom, etc. The entertainment, food, alcohol, pools, fitness, new and diverse people are all great on a cruise ship. If you are in need of Assisted Living, you may need more than a cruise ship can offer day to day. It is an interesting discussion. Financially, a cruise ship can be half the price of Assisted Living. You could use the other half of the money to hire help to be on the ship with you. But stay relatively healthy or you could end up in an obscure location needing a serious procedure.

retiredguy123 04-06-2019 12:25 PM

The title of this thread is about independent living, not assisted living. These are two entirely different things. If you are talking about assisted living, I don't think a cruise ship would be an adequate substitute at all. People go into assisted living because they need daily care.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-06-2019 12:25 PM

The title of this thread refers to Independent living. The text of the first post of the thread refers to Assisted living. It makes me wonder which one the OP is asking about. The answer to each is vastly different from the other.

jane032657 04-06-2019 12:31 PM

Exactly, there is reference to both. Independent living is like a cruise ship on land. If you are independent, you can go anywhere, do anything you want, you have all the options.

retiredguy123 04-06-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane032657 (Post 1639376)
I have had a lot of discussions about this with friends. I used to be an Assisted Living Administrator so know the business well. I think the cruise idea has a lot of value if you are healthy, have great mobility, do not need care of any kind, can afford the extras like laundry, like to be moving on the water all the time, do not want visitors too often, do not need medication management, physical therapy, support with any of the functions of daily living, don't need care if you get sick and someone to help you to washroom, etc. The entertainment, food, alcohol, pools, fitness, new and diverse people are all great on a cruise ship. If you are in need of Assisted Living, you may need more than a cruise ship can offer day to day. It is an interesting discussion. Financially, a cruise ship can be half the price of Assisted Living. You could use the other half of the money to hire help to be on the ship with you. But stay relatively healthy or you could end up in an obscure location needing a serious procedure.

The average cost for assisted living is $3,700 per month. Are you saying that I can live on a cruise ship for $1,850 per month? Can you provide an example? Thanks. Most people I know spend more than that for a 7 day cruise.

ColdNoMore 04-06-2019 02:34 PM

When I get to that point, I'm going the Howard Hughes route and buy a hotel...living on the entire top floor.

:D

CFrance 04-06-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1639380)
The title of this thread refers to Independent living. The text of the first post of the thread refers to Assisted living. It makes me wonder which one the OP is asking about. The answer to each is vastly different from the other.

///

kathyspear 04-06-2019 06:15 PM

This woman spends most of her time on the Crystal Serenity:

Amazon.com: I May Be Homeless, But You Should See My Yacht eBook: Mama Lee Wachtstetter, Joe Kita: Gateway

k.