Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   smoking in restaurant patios (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/smoking-restaurant-patios-289183/)

ctreick 04-07-2019 07:05 PM

smoking in restaurant patios

We just moved to The Villages and love it here...the weather is wonderful and we love eating outside and enjoying the fresh air...UNTIL we smell SMOKE.... How is it possible that the restaurants don't have a non-smoking section in their outdoor eating area? Most states have a law against smoking in restaurants. Isn't the outside patio/eating area part of the restaurant?

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-07-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctreick (Post 1639758)
We just moved to The Villages and love it here...the weather is wonderful and we love eating outside and enjoying the fresh air...UNTIL we smell SMOKE.... How is it possible that the restaurants don't have a non-smoking section in their outdoor eating area? Most states have a law against smoking in restaurants. Isn't the outside patio/eating area part of the restaurant?

I don't have an answer to that, but I will say that people walking past the outdoor area, on the sidewalk, are not prohibited from smoking. So, if you didn't actually notice anyone inside the patio area smoking, it might just be someone outside it, walking by (or loitering near).

ctreick 04-07-2019 07:59 PM

definitely smoking inside the patio area!

wisbad1 04-07-2019 08:15 PM

wait till you have someone feeding their dog next to where your eating, really sick

Chi-Town 04-07-2019 09:50 PM

The area where I lived up north banned smoking at outdoor venues that served food. Any seat that was vacated by smokers that stopped going was quickly taken up by people who wouldn't go there because of the smoke. The same would happen here. It's about time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-07-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1639790)
The area where I lived up north banned smoking at outdoor venues that served food. Any seat that was vacated by smokers that stopped going was quickly taken up by people who wouldn't go there because of the smoke. The same would happen here. It's about time.

I'm an ex-smoker. I'd definitely not enjoy sitting outside at a restaurant patio while someone is blowing smoke near me. I never enjoyed that even when I was a smoker! But now I'm more sensitive to it.

kaydee 04-07-2019 10:31 PM

I am more bothered by the overuse of perfume. It seems wherever I go, shopping,eating out, grocery store etc.

JimJohnson 04-08-2019 01:50 AM

The restaurant/bars here need alcohol sales to meet profit goals. Many heavy drinkers would not sit and buy drinks for hours without a smoke. I can gag through a cigarette, but as I live and breath, (no pun intended), I cannot comprehend where the mind of anyone can be that fires up a cigar. Cigars are nasty and offensive.

dewilson58 04-08-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1639802)
The restaurant/bars here need alcohol sales to meet profit goals. Many heavy drinkers would not sit and buy drinks for hours without a smoke. I can gag through a cigarette, but as I live and breath, (no pun intended), I cannot comprehend where the mind of anyone can be that fires up a cigar. Cigars are nasty and offensive.

There are all types.............I can't stand cigarette smoke, but I enjoy the smell of pipes and cigars.

:popcorn:

Mortal1 04-08-2019 06:57 AM

Ask a simple question and get a ton of unrelated tales of woe...ask the restaurant manager...having a non smoking outside section won't help if the wind is coming from the wrong direction...

photo1902 04-08-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctreick (Post 1639758)

No. An outdoor area (like the bar at Cody's, for example) you are allowed to smoke. Mind-boggling, but it's the way the law is written.

ColdNoMore 04-08-2019 07:10 AM

People should not have to be assaulted with second-hand cigarette smoke, from inside or outside...while they eat.

While I'm all for 'individual rights,' your right to smoke ends...when it adversely affects 'the rights' of others.

It really IS...as simple as that.
:shrug:

ColdNoMore 04-08-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1639802)

It's been my personal experience, that a lot of cigar smokers know exactly how "nasty & offensive" their actions are, but instead of it making them pause about what they're doing...it is actually the impetus for them to do it. :oops:

Might as well hang a sign around their necks that says... "Of course I know it bothers/offends you...why do you think I do it?"
:ohdear:

Chi-Town 04-08-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1639828)

It's been my personal experience, that a lot of cigar smokers know exactly how "nasty & offensive" their actions are, but instead of it making them pause about what they're doing...it is actually the impetus for them to do it. :oops:

Might as well hang a sign around their necks that says... "Of course I know it bothers/offends you...why do you think I do it?"
:ohdear:

And they smoke the cheapest smelliest cigars.

karostay 04-08-2019 08:12 AM

Im non smoker at the restaurant outside bars the seat are always full of smokers
Hence i don't patronize these establishments
Why would they change their smoking policy seats are full open to close?.
Im sure someday their will be a legal action like asbestos laws suits.
Have you ever dined out side and have been exposed to second hand smoke
Call the offices of Dan Newlin