Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water issues (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-issues-289667/)

DianeM 04-13-2019 02:42 PM

Water issues

Looking for advice. I have a careless neighbor behind me who obviously has a leak in her irrigation system as I have puddles in my yard that do not drain and that have destroyed my lawn. I spoke with her directly to no avail. A call to Community Standards got me the response that they do not get involved. Public Safety has been here twice and spoke with her but again, to no avail. Even a call to the water company got me no more than "tsk tsk". I have standing water 24/7 and I'm worried about mosquitoes breeding and what this water will do if it gets as far as the foundation of my home. My lawn is totally shredded and has eroded the topsoil to the point that I have sand patches. I'm at my wit's end. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to retain an attorney? Do I call a TV station? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

retiredguy123 04-13-2019 03:04 PM

If you have an existing area drain close by, you could have a second drain installed near the puddles and connect it to the existing drain. It seems like a heavy rain would cause more standing water than an irrigation leak, unless the leak is very bad. I would at least have someone dig a hole and see if it fills up with water. But, you really need an expert opinion from someone who does grading and drainage work.

DianeM 04-13-2019 03:09 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. No drains to tie into and it has not rained in a week. Hole was dug yesterday and it's full today. I fear that I will need to go the attorney route and I really don't want to do that because that will create even more animosity. I can't even sell the place if I wanted to in this condition. SIGH but again, thank you.

HiHoSteveO 04-13-2019 03:29 PM

Seems like a lot of water. I'd be curious to know if the usage is actually excessive.

You can learn that at this link below.

https://bsaonline.com/OnlinePayment/...ransition=true

>Then enter the name of the street on bottom line. Just the street name, not "Ave" or "Loop", etc.

>Click your neighbors address and where it says (in blue) "View additional Information" click that and scroll to the bottom of the page.

DianeM 04-13-2019 03:53 PM

Yes she's way over the norm. 27,000 gallons last month. Thanks for the support idea

retiredguy123 04-13-2019 04:22 PM

I think I would go to Community Standards again and give them the water usage data and a photo of your yard damage. It seems like something they should address.

villagetinker 04-13-2019 04:29 PM

OP, you could also try going to your CDD supervisors and ask them for relief, and out side of using a lawyer, i do not have any other ideas.

Villageswimmer 04-13-2019 04:30 PM

Have you contacted the Water Department? Part of their mission is to clamp down on wasting water.

Sorry this is happening. Must be very frustrating for you.

ColdNoMore 04-13-2019 04:38 PM

Small claims court to make her pay for the cost of re-sodding...your now ruined lawn?

With all of the contacts you've made and documented, plus a copy of the excessive water usage by her (go back a bunch of months if possible, to get an idea of when it started)...you may have a good/easy case.

While you wouldn't want to re-sod before she gets it repaired of course...get three estimates to bring with you to the judge.

If nothing else, maybe dragging her insolent butt into court...might finally get her attention?

If you don't want to go that route, is there a location on your shared property line, where you could set up your own hose to run full blast on your property (make sure to keep the hose outlet on your own property), but that all of it would drain onto her property (think short piece of gutter to act as a trough)...without damaging your lawn too much more? :D

Fight 'flood with flood'...I always say. :1rotfl:

Good luck. :thumbup:

thetruth 04-13-2019 05:02 PM

My opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeM (Post 1641619)
Yes she's way over the norm. 27,000 gallons last month. Thanks for the support idea

From your previous post, you said you've tried talking to your leaking neighbor and got no response such as thanks I'm getting it taken care of.

My opinion, I'm not an attorney. I do not like attorneys however
this may be the right time to contact one. A letter from an attorney should not cost you very much. It will put you in a much stronger position for damages in that you have formerly notified your neighbor that there is a problem. Assuming it is a leak, obviously it will not fix itself.

rjm1cc 04-13-2019 05:02 PM

Maybe the health department or the Water District will help.

DianeM 04-13-2019 05:31 PM

I will try again on Monday. Thank you.

DianeM 04-13-2019 05:32 PM

Thank you

DianeM 04-13-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1641645)
Maybe the health department or the Water District will help.

I had not thought of health dept. thank you

DianeM 04-13-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1641629)
I think I would go to Community Standards again and give them the water usage data and a photo of your yard damage. It seems like something they should address.

I will try again on Monday. Thank you.