Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Does Anyone Have Suggestions To Help Disabled Vet Tech Get Surgery For Her Dog (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/does-anyone-have-suggestions-help-disabled-vet-tech-get-surgery-her-dog-289905/)

GeoGeo 04-16-2019 09:03 AM

Does Anyone Have Suggestions To Help Disabled Vet Tech Get Surgery For Her Dog

Does anyone know of an organization that helps pet owners who need to travel a great distance with their pet to be seen by a vet?

At this time there is no vet in the U.S. that does a certain heart procedure and people have to travel out of the country to Japan and maybe a few other countries. A disabled vet tech is needing to take her dog there. Friends of mine are raising the money for the surgery. I'm trying to figure out how to get her a free round trip flight. This is new to me. I'm going to contact some airlines, but not too hopefully. I was hoping maybe someone else had some ideas or knew of an organization. I don't think the little dog can wait until University of Florida starts their open heart program.

Here is a newspaper article about someone else who had to travel to Japan with their pet to get the procedure done: NJ dog travels to Japan for heart surgery - Story | WNYW

Taltarzac725 04-16-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoGeo (Post 1642556)
Does anyone know of an organization that helps pet owners who need to travel a great distance with their pet to be seen by a vet?

At this time there is no vet in the U.S. that does a certain heart procedure and people have to travel out of the country to Japan and maybe a few other countries. A disabled vet tech is needing to take her dog there. Friends of mine are raising the money for the surgery. I'm trying to figure out how to get her a free round trip flight. This is new to me. I'm going to contact some airlines, but not too hopefully. I was hoping maybe someone else had some ideas or knew of an organization. I don't think the little dog can wait until University of Florida starts their open heart program.

Here is a newspaper article about someone else who had to travel to Japan with their pet to get the procedure done: NJ dog travels to Japan for heart surgery - Story | WNYW

That is a story from summer of 2018. Any new developments? How did they pay for the trip, etc. Local vets, animal doctors, and others might get involved.

GeoGeo 04-16-2019 11:07 AM

The news article is about someone else. They dipped into their 401k.

Taltarzac725 04-16-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoGeo (Post 1642596)
The news article is about someone else. They dipped into their 401k.

I got that. But what about this current pooch. Fund raising usually is local for something like this.

GeoGeo 04-16-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1642614)
I got that. But what about this current pooch. Fund raising usually is local for something like this.

Fundraising is going well for the surgery part. My friends' group does fundraising for dachshunds whose owner's cannot afford vet bills and they don't have to be local. They can be anywhere. One of my friends is in TN and the other is in the UK. Dachshund lovers are everywhere. Everything is checked out. They have to show proof with vet bills and that is all confirmed. They have been doing well raising money and I don't know if they have met their goal, but if not I think they are very close. Unfortunately,I have so much to do with fundraising for the rescue that I don't keep track of everyone else's efforts. But I do try to help the others as much as I can. It is all about helping each other out and making a difference in the world....even if it is for just one person or one dog at a time.

Taltarzac725 04-16-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoGeo (Post 1642635)
Fundraising is going well for the surgery part. My friends' group does fundraising for dachshunds whose owner's cannot afford vet bills and they don't have to be local. They can be anywhere. One of my friends is in TN and the other is in the UK. Dachshund lovers are everywhere. Everything is checked out. They have to show proof with vet bills and that is all confirmed. They have been doing well raising money and I don't know if they have met their goal, but if not I think they are very close. Unfortunately,I have so much to do with fundraising for the rescue that I don't keep track of everyone else's efforts. But I do try to help the others as much as I can. It is all about helping each other out and making a difference in the world....even if it is for just one person or one dog at a time.

Facebook with Go Fund Me and other tools can be a lot of use.

plimit56 04-16-2019 08:22 PM

What about Gainesville’s Small Animal Hospital. They almost do everything there!

GeoGeo 04-16-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plimit56 (Post 1642696)
What about Gainesville’s Small Animal Hospital. They almost do everything there!

The vet from Japan is going to be training them at UF in Gainesville to do that procedure. So it is coming to the United States and UofF will be the only place in the U.S. that does it. Apparently, this lady's dog can't wait that long, though.

graciegirl 04-16-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1642670)
Facebook with Go Fund Me and other tools can be a lot of use.

And they can be scams and often are.

Taltarzac725 04-17-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1642715)
And they can be scams and often are.

How to Determine if it is Safe to Donate to a Campaign – GoFundMe Help Center

If you do try the Go Fund Me route make sure you take into account these things so that people do not take it for a scam.

GeoGeo 04-17-2019 08:08 AM

I will pass that on to the ladies working on the funding for the surgery and they can pass it on to the lady needing help. I imagine they could post what they have from the local vet wanting to send the dog to Japan with contact info for that vet, so people can confirm themselves. I'm sure they will figure it out.