Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Gardens (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/florida-lifts-ban-front-yard-gardens-289990/)

NatureBoy 04-17-2019 01:56 PM

Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Gardens

Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Vegetable Gardens

Quote:

State lawmakers in Florida have told cities they must respect citizens’ property rights, and seemingly even more basic right to grow their own food.

They just passed a bill “prohibiting local governments from regulating vegetable gardens on residential properties.”

“Such regulations are void and unenforceable,” the new law says.
Anyone know how this would affect deed restrictions?

The clear exploitation of this law would be to plant corn or beans or other tall crops to create a privacy screen.

villagetinker 04-17-2019 02:08 PM

OP, I think the article you sited may have jumped the gun. I did a google search and found many confusing entries on this subject, but it appears this is still working its way through the legislative process. I could not find an article stating the bill had been passed and signed by the governor.

JerryP 04-17-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1642868)
OP, I think the article you sited may have jumped the gun. I did a google search and found many confusing entries on this subject, but it appears this is still working its way through the legislative process. I could not find an article stating the bill had been passed and signed by the governor.

Effective Date: 7/1/2019
Senate Bill 82 (2019) - The Florida Senate

Bogie Shooter 04-17-2019 02:35 PM

There has to be more important things State lawmakers could/should be working on.

graciegirl 04-17-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatureBoy (Post 1642863)
Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Vegetable Gardens

Anyone know how this would affect deed restrictions?

The clear exploitation of this law would be to plant corn or beans or other tall crops to create a privacy screen.

I am all for gardens. I have harvested and canned food in my past, but I really don't think this is a good idea for The Villages. It would destroy the beauty and I doubt it would be beneficial or really needed either.

kansasr 04-17-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryP (Post 1642873)

That would be the effective date IF it makes it through the house and IF it is signed by the governor....

sallybowron 04-17-2019 03:35 PM

I agree

JimJohnson 04-17-2019 03:50 PM

I like the idea of gardens. Better tomato’s and cabbage rather than tulips

NatureBoy 04-17-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansasr (Post 1642888)
That would be the effective date IF it makes it through the house and IF it is signed by the governor....

Senate Bill 82 (2019) - The Florida Senate

The FL Senate passed it 35Y to 5N. That would seem veto proof. But it does still need to be approved by the House.

(Ugh! And now this thread has descended into politics. :blahblahblah:)

Villageswimmer 04-17-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1642898)
I like the idea of gardens. Better tomato’s and cabbage rather than tulips

Tulips don’t grow here. :)

graciegirl 04-17-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1642909)
Tulips don’t grow here. :)

I was just going to say the same thing. They have to have COLD, COLD, weather.

Villageswimmer 04-17-2019 04:50 PM

This is a very interesting development. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

JoelJohnson 04-17-2019 04:51 PM

Good, now I can plant weeds, that's the only thing that I can grow anyway.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-17-2019 05:12 PM

Well anyone who's interested (for serious) can learn how to grow a good looking AND functional vegetable garden here:
Vegetable Gardening in Florida Series - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

and regardless of the law, the deed restrictions still do allow you to have potted plants. You can grow small quantities of edible plants in decorative pots, the same website has a page dedicated to it here: Harvest as You Grow Container Gardening - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

While some might catch a complaint from a neighbor if it was growing in the flower bed on the front lawn, I'm thinking a sunny spot on the lanai wouldn't violate anything at all for a pot containing a grape tomato plant, and a couple of flowering basil plants growing in pots beside it.

New Englander 04-17-2019 07:44 PM

A vegetable garden in the front yard of TV would not look too good. Plant flowers instead.