Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/age-prejudice-how-can-we-counter-real-paranoia-290238/)

graciegirl 04-22-2019 10:03 AM

Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia?

I didn't think age prejudice existed when I was younger. I do not think it is prevalent but it does occur.

I don't like judging whole groups of people and dismissing them. It isn't fair based on any criteria.

Do you see and feel age prejudice in real life or on this forum? How old are you?

I can't believe it but I am 79.

Mudder 04-22-2019 11:11 AM

I don't know how it happened but I am a month or two away from 79!
Anyway, I don't really feel any age discrimination in my life. We experience more fascination by younger people....they wonder how we do all that we do.
Yes, sure we may walk slower, drive a little slower.......but that's only in the bubble. When in Boston we drive faster, walk faster......it's survival of the fittest in the outside world!
I will admit we do have a granddaughter who calls us "the oldies".

graciegirl 04-22-2019 11:36 AM

One strange thing to me is the existence of some clubs here in The Villages that have age limits. Does anyone else think that is right...…….or wrong?

On another thread there was a "dude" who pointed out that there was some evidence of Villages and amenities nearby that were related to the predominant age of the people who lived close to them, both the lack of amenities and those not used as much. Any thoughts? Do you think that is economic or age related or neither or both??

I think it is possibly both. I know that almost everyone, regardless of their age are anxious to go to the squares at first and do it a lot the first couple of years and then it wanes as other activities replace this fun social thing to do. People make friends and share other activities rather than dancing and listening to music with them.

manaboutown 04-22-2019 12:17 PM

Well, I am now 77 years of age. What I recall is I needed to be six years old by the end of the calendar year to enter first grade, could obtain a driver's license at age 16, became eligible for the draft and had to register at age 18, could drink alcohol legally at age 21 in the the state where I resided at the time, became eligible to vote at age 21, obtained medicare at age 65 and so on. Oh, and I became "legal" to buy a home in a 55 and over community at...surprise...age 55! Were these requirements, 'age prejudice'?

Gee, so much in life is age related!

For me, life has been a journey through several phases. After becoming an 'official' adult at age 21 the phases have pretty much been decade by decade. In general during my twenties people expected me to conduct myself as a man in his twenties and I suppose I did. Similarly during my thirties, forties and so on my life played out on an age related path.

Our bodies and our brains grow, mature and decline with age. That is the way it is. Yes, people treat me differently at age 77 than they did at age 17, 27 or even 57, as they should. I accept my age. I take care of myself physically, mentally and spiritually and live in the present without resentment.

I do not feel people treating me as a 77 year old is 'age prejudice'. I would not want to fly on a commercial airliner captained by a 77 year old. Too, I am willing to get my eyes checked and submit to written and road driving tests to retain my driver's license when necessary.

anothersteve 04-22-2019 12:40 PM

Boy, you guys are old!
😉
Steve

Fredster 04-22-2019 12:45 PM

I did feel age discrimination a few years ago, when a younger (60ish) member of a club I belonged to,
offered to do a slightly physically demanding task for me.
And I graciously accepted his help!
I realized then, that I had entered senior hood, and there is such a thing as positive discrimination!

Bucco 04-22-2019 12:53 PM

Feel the same way about any prejudice.....it is stupid.

Skin, religion, ethnic origin, age.......it is plain stupid.

I will be 80 in June....never ever experienced, even once, age prejudice, and frankly not sure how to identify it if it did occur.

Folks who have any prejudice are mean spirited, hateful and obviously not very smart. If that sounds harsh, it is meant to be, because there are no sound reasons for "prejudice"

If I am excluded because of age, it better have something to do with my safety

Not sure why this is worthy of discussion......would prefer instead of trying to isolate yet another group, that concentration might be on REAL LIFE instead of perceived slights.

Velvet 04-22-2019 01:19 PM

Age to me means absolute unconditional love. What I remember about my grandmother is not her beautiful manicure, I can’t remember her nails. Nor her beautiful hair do, her hair turned white at 20 when she was hiding from the bombs with her cat. She never colored it, never cut it. It was a silky silvery mane, whenever I saw her. She never mentioned her croquet score etc. What I remember about her is that when I went to visit her at 18 years old, she wanted to sleep by the train tracks so she would not miss a minute seeing me and I was arriving by train. When I got there she went to the market a mile and a half away at 4:00 am every morning to get fresh baguette for my breakfast. When I tried to stop her from doing everything for me it was not possible. After I left to see my other grandmother in a different country, she had to stay in bed to recover for two weeks.

ColdNoMore 04-22-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1644067)
Feel the same way about any prejudice.....it is stupid.

Skin, religion, ethnic origin, age.......it is plain stupid.

I will be 80 in June....never ever experienced, even once, age prejudice, and frankly not sure how to identify it if it did occur.

Folks who have any prejudice are mean spirited, hateful and obviously not very smart. If that sounds harsh, it is meant to be, because there are no sound reasons for "prejudice"

If I am excluded because of age, it better have something to do with my safety

Not sure why this is worthy of discussion......would prefer instead of trying to isolate yet another group, that concentration might be on REAL LIFE instead of perceived slights.

An intelligent, well thought out...and dead-on post! :thumbup:

It's obvious that age often affects some of us...a lot different than others.

Some become more wise and tolerant.

Some become meaner and more devious.

Some imagine slights and use any excuse...to exhibit their own prejudices.

Some decide they're tired of pretending to be nice, and by golly, are going to finally speak up about how they really feel, ignoring those societal pressures/norms which have dictated until now...that they keep it to themselves.

And some dwell, focus and are petrified that we are all mortal and...on the last few holes of life.

And sadly, some fight that horrible, irreversible and debilitating disease (to one degree or another)...of dementia/Alzheimer's. :(

For me, it's being thankful for each additional day and living my life so that should it end tomorrow (or during my nap today :D)...I'll be going out with very few regrets.
:ho:

CFrance 04-22-2019 01:54 PM

79 is the new 69. We live in such an active community that keeps us young. We take better care of ourselves and have better healthcare. We look better. Maybe it keeps the age discriminators at bay.

I don't feel any age prejudice (I'm 71, the new 61 :icon_wink:), but we are living with a mostly like-age group. I haven't spent much time in large, busy age-diverse cities lately. Maybe it would be different there. People rushing down the sidewalk to get to work, jockeying for seats on buses & metros... that kind of thing.

I do miss being in a mixed-age group sometimes, but I think TV is the right place to "age out," and I for one haven't experienced any age prejudice.

ColdNoMore 04-22-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1644086)
79 is the new 69. We live in such an active community that keeps us young. We take better care of ourselves and have better healthcare. We look better. Maybe it keeps the age discriminators at bay.

I don't feel any age prejudice (I'm 71, the new 61 :icon_wink:), but we are living with a mostly like-age group. I haven't spent much time in large, busy age-diverse cities lately. Maybe it would be different there. People rushing down the sidewalk to get to work, jockeying for seats on buses & metros... that kind of thing.

I do miss being in a mixed-age group sometimes, but I think TV is the right place to "age out," and I for one haven't experienced any age prejudice.

Being 34, unemployed and living in my parents basement here in The Villages...I always try to show respect for my elders.

:1rotfl:

CFrance 04-22-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1644091)
Being 34, unemployed and living in my parents basement here in The Villages...I always try to show respect for my elders.

:1rotfl:

Your parents have a basement?????!!

Velvet 04-22-2019 02:07 PM

... lol

ColdNoMore 04-22-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1644092)
Your parents have a basement?????!!

Of course, doesn't everyone in TV have one?

:D

manaboutown 04-22-2019 03:32 PM

55 and over communities are by their very nature age discriminatory. Housing for Older Persons Act - Wikipedia The idea is to provide a peaceful and safe environment where senior citizens can live away from young whippersnappers who are so loud, stay up late, drive too fast and cause so much commotion and crime.