Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Just For Fun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/)
-   -   The Gospel According to St. Titleist (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/gospel-according-st-titleist-290251/)

Polar Bear 04-22-2019 01:22 PM

The Gospel According to St. Titleist

1. Eighteen holes of match play will teach you more about your foe than 18 years of dealing with him across a desk.-- Grantland Rice
2. Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become. This is proven by their frequent inability to count past five.-- John Updike
3. It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf.-- Robert Lynd
4. If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.-- Horace G. Hutchinson
5. They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.-- Gardner Dickinson
6. If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork as poorly as they do a golf club, they'd starve to death.-- Sam Snead
7. Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.-- William Wordsworth
8. If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.-- Dean Martin
9. If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up.-- Tommy Bolt
10. Man blames fate for all other accidents, but feels personally responsible when he makes a hole-in-one.-- Bishop Sheen
11. I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced.-- Arnold Palmer
12. My handicap? Woods and irons.-- Chris Codiroli
13. The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody would put a flag stick on top.-- Pete Dye
14. I'm hitting the woods just great; but having a terrible time getting out of them!-- Buddy Hackett
15. The only time my prayers are never answered is playing golf.-- Billy Graham
16. If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.-- Jack Lemmon
17. It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.-- Mark Twain
18. Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.-- Harry Vardon
19. Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at either of them.-- Jimmy DeMaret
20. May thy ball lie in green pastures, and not in still waters.-- Ben Hogan
21. If I hit it right, it's a slice. If I hit it left, it's a hook. If I hit it straight, it's a miracle.-- Anon
22. The difference in golf and government is that in golf you can't improve your lie.-- George Deukmejian
23. Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of a bagpipe.-- Lee Trevino
24. Reason they call it golf is cuz all the other four-letter words were taken.-- Woody Woodbury
Finally:
25. The No.#1 Golf rule you MUST follow: take the car keys out of your golf bag before you throw it into the creek.

CFrance 04-22-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1644076)
1. Eighteen holes of match play will teach you more about your foe than 18 years of dealing with him across a desk.-- Grantland Rice
2. Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become. This is proven by their frequent inability to count past five.-- John Updike
3. It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf.-- Robert Lynd
4. If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.-- Horace G. Hutchinson
5. They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.-- Gardner Dickinson
6. If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork as poorly as they do a golf club, they'd starve to death.-- Sam Snead
7. Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.-- William Wordsworth
8. If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.-- Dean Martin
9. If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up.-- Tommy Bolt
10. Man blames fate for all other accidents, but feels personally responsible when he makes a hole-in-one.-- Bishop Sheen
11. I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced.-- Arnold Palmer
12. My handicap? Woods and irons.-- Chris Codiroli
13. The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody would put a flag stick on top.-- Pete Dye
14. I'm hitting the woods just great; but having a terrible time getting out of them!-- Buddy Hackett
15. The only time my prayers are never answered is playing golf.-- Billy Graham
16. If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.-- Jack Lemmon
17. It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.-- Mark Twain
18. Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.-- Harry Vardon
19. Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at either of them.-- Jimmy DeMaret
20. May thy ball lie in green pastures, and not in still waters.-- Ben Hogan
21. If I hit it right, it's a slice. If I hit it left, it's a hook. If I hit it straight, it's a miracle.-- Anon
22. The difference in golf and government is that in golf you can't improve your lie.-- George Deukmejian
23. Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of a bagpipe.-- Lee Trevino
24. Reason they call it golf is cuz all the other four-letter words were taken.-- Woody Woodbury
Finally:
25. The No.#1 Golf rule you MUST follow: take the car keys out of your golf bag before you throw it into the creek.

That's hilarious!:1rotfl:

ColdNoMore 04-22-2019 02:15 PM

"The woods are full of long hitters."

"They're full of short hitters too."

Me - Just now. :D

CFrance 04-22-2019 02:21 PM

A month or so ago I hit a golf ball straight up into a palm tree five feet away. It stayed there.

Mikeod 04-22-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1644099)
A month or so ago I hit a golf ball straight up into a palm tree five feet away. It stayed there.

Might be afraid of you. I think that’s why my golf balls try to hide in the water or the trees.:1rotfl:

CFrance 04-22-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1644110)
Might be afraid of you. I think that’s why my golf balls try to hide in the water or the trees.:1rotfl:

Ha ha! I think I've scared off many a golfer/golf ball.

Bjeanj 04-22-2019 03:50 PM

So funny!

Tom C 04-22-2019 05:38 PM

I golf in the low 70's, I drink if it is warmer.