Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Do multiple ads sway your opinion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/do-multiple-ads-sway-your-opinion-290298/)

jebartle 04-23-2019 10:25 AM

Do multiple ads sway your opinion

We will be inundated with numerous ads in the coming year and a half. Would LOVE ads to be minimized but not sure how your accomplish this without a dvr.
What a waste of funds, thinking about many many charities that could use these funds!

raynan 04-23-2019 10:31 AM

They do not and are so annoying. I agree that the money could help so many in this world and serve a better purpose.

thetruth 04-23-2019 11:52 AM

We like to think we are immune

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1644348)
We will be inundated with numerous ads in the coming year and a half. Would LOVE ads to be minimized but not sure how your accomplish this without a dvr.
What a waste of funds, thinking about many many charities that could use these funds!

We like to think we are immune but, we are not.

When you say year and a half I believe you are talking about the election. As to ads your thought actually applies to all advertising.

As to using a DVR to escape advertising. You actually, even if you/I don't want to admit it see the ads as they race by. I will confess to doing a rewind to see what Home Depo, or Lowes is pushing in stuff I am interested in. This time of year garden stuff. I will tell the truth. Once they have you in the store, do you ever leave with only the item you responded to the ad for?

As to charities. You will be shocked as to what some charities eat up in overhead. What they pay to managers, trips to Vegas for the charity convention etc etc etc

Really old story. We for years bought TV Guide(television guide) through the boy scouts. We felt good giving to the boy scouts. It actually cost a little more than we could have purchased the same thing for elsewhere. After several years I checked, the scouts received a penny or two for allowing the subscription service to use their name.

Madelaine Amee 04-23-2019 12:06 PM

Absolutely dreading the next 18 months of political ads. About time to turn to streaming.

retiredguy123 04-23-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1644348)

I don't see the connection between multiple ads and money for charity. Most ads are paid for by companies who make a profit and pay taxes. They wouldn't buy the ads if it didn't increase their profits. I wouldn't be in favor of requiring profitable companies to divert their advertising budget to charity.

dewilson58 04-23-2019 12:11 PM

Less air time available for Morgan & Morgan.

Velvet 04-23-2019 12:17 PM

We have a saying in my old country; “Good wine needs no advertisement.” I use google and reviews to decide. If someone or something advertises a lot, I wonder why? What’s wrong with it?

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-23-2019 12:25 PM

I don't really watch much TV at all. I have an ad-blocker on my web browser, and I put any "card stock" that comes in the mail, directly into the recycle bin without looking at it. Since I'm registered as "unaffiliated," I rarely get any targeted ads, because they're looking to target mostly Democrats and Republicans - and I'm neither. Anyone knocking on my door looking to tell me about their campaign is sternly invited to get off my property before I call the police and press charges for trespassing. It keeps them from coming back for round 2.

JoMar 04-23-2019 12:26 PM

I submit we are not the demographic that the ads are directed to. Those generations behind us make decisions on sound bites and the shorter the better. They will look to their phones and tablets since they don't watch a lot of television but television will still be used just in case the target demographic is watching, especially at a sports bar or other group gatherings. We are just a casualty of their marketing....and that can be political or toothpaste.

Velvet 04-23-2019 12:30 PM

retiredguy123 04-23-2019 12:49 PM

There are lots of examples of how advertising works. At Walgreens, a bottle of 100 plain aspirin tablets will cost you seven times as much if you choose the Bayer brand instead of the Walgreens brand. But, apparently Bayer can charge that much because they spend millions on advertising.

Bogie Shooter 04-23-2019 01:02 PM

Is it really illegal? I could not find anywhere in Florida law that it was for political purposes.

Midnight Cowgirl 04-23-2019 01:16 PM

Alleve or ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1644410)
There are lots of examples." of how advertising works. At Walgreens, a bottle of 100 plain aspirin tablets will cost you seven times as much if you choose the Bayer brand instead of the Walgreens brand. But, apparently, Bayer can charge that much because they spend millions on advertising.

There are many people who will only buy the brand name or the "real" name of the product, i.e., "Bayer" or as you said, "Walgreen's aspirin" by name. I have a friend who will only buy "Alleve" while I spend a pittance of what Alleve costs for "Naproxen."

I'm not really sure that kind of mindset is a product of advertising, but I'm also not sure that advertising doesn't have something to do with it either. :shrug:

Why do many hospitals dispense only "Bayer?" It has to go beyond advertising and we -- the public -- are not privy to or aware of the "real" story. Even with some kind of "deal," the price they pay for Bayer still has to be more than what, say, Walgreen's aspirin would cost.

retiredguy123 04-23-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1644421)
There are many people who will only buy the brand name or the "real" name of the product, i.e., "Bayer" or as you said, "Walgreen's aspirin" by name. I have a friend who will only buy "Alleve" while I spend a pittance of what Alleve costs for "Naproxen."

I'm not really sure that kind of mindset is a product of advertising, but I'm also not sure that advertising doesn't have something to do with it either. :shrug:

Why do many hospitals dispense only "Bayer?" It has to go beyond advertising and we -- the public -- are not privy to or aware of the "real" story. Even with some kind of "deal," the price they pay for Bayer still has to be more than what, say, Walgreen's aspirin would cost.

It is interesting that a lot of people think that, if they buy Walgreens aspirin, they are buying a generic product, but, if they buy Bayer aspirin, they are buying a brand name. Not true. Bayer and Walgreens are both brand names and neither company holds a patent on aspirin. Any company can sell aspirin and put their name on it. I suspect that Bayer pays hospitals to use their aspirin as part of their marketing plan.

JackRussell 04-23-2019 01:29 PM

True. Companies cannot do good, unless they do well.