Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   There Are Good Hotels (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/there-good-hotels-290379/)

PennBF 04-25-2019 01:12 PM

There Are Good Hotels

My wife and I had a reservation at the Hampton Inn on Beach Blvd in Jacksonville Florida as my wife had appointments at Mayo Clinic. At the last appointment the Dr. decided on a different approach for her Cancer and as a result we did not have to stay overnight. It was long after the right to cancel but out of a concern for doing the right thing we called the hotel to tell them we could not use the room for that night and therefore it was open. We understood we would still have to pay for the room but in case someone was in need they could use that one. The hotel said it would forgive the late cancellation and they would not charge. What a wonderful consideration on their part and it shows there are good people out there. :ho:

BK001 04-25-2019 02:25 PM

So nice to hear a story like this with a very nice ending. Cheers to doing the right thing Hampton Inn!

chachacha 04-25-2019 07:54 PM

nice story! that should be a good suggestion for a hotel in Jacksonville for anyone reading this!! nice of you to post and show an attitude of gratitude!

mtdjed 04-25-2019 08:21 PM

And good people like you to make the call and offer.

ColdNoMore 04-25-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1644985)
So nice to hear a story like this with a very nice ending. Cheers to doing the right thing Hampton Inn!

:agree:

Particularly since in the last year or so, even the IHG/Honors groups of hotels have went from the 'no cancellation fee' policy that used to apply up until 6:00PM on the day of arrival...is now usually a minimum of 24 hours (and sometimes 48) advance notice for cancellation. :oops:

I have found though, that if you call the hotel directly and talk to the desk clerk on duty, instead of the general '800' number, when cancelling in the less than the stated cancellation period...you have a much better chance of success.

tophcfa 04-25-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 1644961)
My wife and I had a reservation at the Hampton Inn on Beach Blvd in Jacksonville Florida as my wife had appointments at Mayo Clinic. At the last appointment the Dr. decided on a different approach for her Cancer and as a result we did not have to stay overnight. It was long after the right to cancel but out of a concern for doing the right thing we called the hotel to tell them we could not use the room for that night and therefore it was open. We understood we would still have to pay for the room but in case someone was in need they could use that one. The hotel said it would forgive the late cancellation and they would not charge. What a wonderful consideration on their part and it shows there are good people out there. :ho:

Best wishes possible for your wife!

Number 10 GI 04-26-2019 10:02 AM

The wife and I always, when one is available, stay at Hampton Inn. Last month we were going to Tennessee and had reservations at Hampton Inn just outside of Atlanta. We checked in and brought our baggage to the room and something came up and we had to return to Florida. I spoke with the clerk, who turned out to be the manager, and explained our problem. She asked if we had disturbed anything in the room and I said no, we had just dropped our bags and got word we had to return home. She checked the room and cancelled our reservation and didn't charge us. We have always been treated well at Hampton Inn.

NotGolfer 04-26-2019 01:43 PM

A year ago we were to head back to our home state for a reunion. We had flight reservations (along with a car rental) and a hotel reserved as well...then I got sick and hospitalized. My best half phoned each of these and we got a free vouchure on the flight (I think the car rental was cancelled w/out an issue) AND the hotel also cancelled w/out an issue. We were totally amazed with this. The flight was through Aliegient and they have a policy that if a natural disaster happens within 30 days of the reservation...in our case it was Irma....they will allow for a vouchure. That has to be used within a year's time however to be honored. We felt very fortunate!!!