Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   What if... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/what-if-290414/)

ColdNoMore 04-25-2019 08:41 PM

What if...

...you could go back in time and choose/change to the career or industry (with guaranteed success)...that you dreamt about as a young adult?

Not saying that there aren't a lot of successful people here, some of who were fortunate enough to have had the exact job of their dreams (because I'm sure there are some of those living here), but even for those of us who were very successful in our business lives, I'm also guessing there might have been that 'perfect job/industry'...that some of us would sometimes daydream about.

Mine would have been to be a race car driver, in multiple series...and a plethora of types of cars and surfaces.

My racing hero has always been Mario Andretti, who's innate driving skills resulted in almost unparalleled success...across a broad swath of motorized racing. :thumbup:

While my dreams were fueled by a couple of winters successfully racing snowmachines in my late teens, the cold reality of life, a new wife and then children...quickly put that fantasy to bed forever. :(

Any other Walter Mitty types out there?

tophcfa 04-25-2019 10:07 PM

I had a really good career, but I don't feel like I helped enough people through my job. If I could do it all over again, I would have been an orthopedic surgeon, helping people fix injured and worn out knees, shoulders, elbows, etc... The number of years of school required (and associated debt) scared me away and into a different field. I still have reservations on choosing a different career path, but I can't turn back the clock. Oh well, time to enjoy retirement!

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-25-2019 10:46 PM

I would've been a court reporter or possibly a copy-editor at a daily newspaper. That was the plan when I went to and graduated from college. I lacked motivation and impetus. Wanting something and working for it, I discovered, are not always the same thing. So now I write as a hobby and look back on the past 40 years of work, primarily in retail, and think - I could've done better. No regrets, but I definitely could've done better.

Kenswing 04-25-2019 11:05 PM

Quality Control Inspector at Ben & Jerry's..

Inexes@aol.com 04-25-2019 11:12 PM

Funny this should be a topic tonight after I spent some time sitting by the hospital helopad watching ShandsCare load a patient for the flight to Gainesville. Brought back all the memories.... I left my hometown in 1980 and headed for Va Beach with the intent of becoming a trauma/flight nurse at Norfolk General Hospital. 2 nights after I arrived in VB, I met the man that I am currently married to. Quickly realized that being a flight or trauma nurse would not work well with a "new relationship", I chose the relationship. Certainly turned out to be the better choice. lol..... but those helicopters transporting patients still get me going......

Inexes@aol.com 04-26-2019 12:17 PM

I think this post had the potential to be interesting..... why do some of these get removed so quickly???????

Abby10 04-26-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com (Post 1645204)
I think this post had the potential to be interesting..... why do some of these get removed so quickly???????

Not sure what you mean by removed. It's still here, doesn't say it's a closed thread. It may have disappeared from the new posts or today's posts listing because it has had no responses in over 12 hours and other threads may have been bumped ahead of it on the list. For that matter, even closed threads are not removed, you just may have to search for them because they won't continue to appear in the daily rotation of threads. Not sure if this helps to answer your question or not..........

Bucco 04-26-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1645077)
I would've been a court reporter or possibly a copy-editor at a daily newspaper. That was the plan when I went to and graduated from college. I lacked motivation and impetus. Wanting something and working for it, I discovered, are not always the same thing. So now I write as a hobby and look back on the past 40 years of work, primarily in retail, and think - I could've done better. No regrets, but I definitely could've done better.

We share the same "dreams".

Nothing more interesting than journalism, and informing. I got into politics sort of by acident and had the privilege of meeting and working with the media a lot.

The integrity and "getting it right" attitude still stays with me.

Dream gone....journalist for The NY Times for sure

Rapscallion St Croix 04-26-2019 02:08 PM

Because our destinies are determined by pivotal moments, I feel like if I could go back in time, I would be limited to the date my family was completed. For example, my youngest came out of basic training with an assignment to Colorado but traded assignments so she could go to school on the base where I was undergoing extended training. Had she not done this impulsive thing, she would not have met her husband and therefore would not have presented us with two of our wonderful grandkids.

Career-wise, I wouldn't change a thing except for a couple of bosses, and I would like to have been two inches to the left at a specific moment in time.

CFrance 04-26-2019 03:07 PM

In my next life I will play the violin. I begged for that as a child, but was limited to the piano. (My fingers are short; I was never any good at the piano.) I think maybe there were two reasons for not being allowed to play the violin. Maybe three. 1. We had a piano, we did not have a violin. 2. I don't think my parents could afford a violin and the lessons. 3. It wasn't available in school the way it was for our kids.

There might be a fourth: I think the sound of me screeching on the violin would have driven my mother bats**t crazy. She had issues.:faint:

jebartle 04-26-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1645081)
Quality Control Inspector at Ben & Jerry's..

Giggle, snort, and I would have been your assistant after I won the LPGA US Open, me and James Patterson, miracle at St. Andrews!

New Englander 04-26-2019 04:31 PM

I wanted to be a GYN but my grade point average said no to med school. :cry:

redwitch 04-26-2019 05:48 PM

My dream was to become a child psychologist, set up a practice in Beverly Hills and work there three days a week. The other four would have been spent in a clinic in Watts. Life precluded me from getting the doctorate I needed for the dream but I pretty much used my degree every day of my professional life as a legal secretary.

Today, I would have gone a different route — artificial intelligence. The concept of getting a machine to think and possibly become self-aware would be truly amazing to me.

Trayderjoe 04-26-2019 06:52 PM

Interesting topic!

I would have liked to have become a marine biologist. My grandfather used to breed tropical fish back in the 60's and got me my first aquarium at 10 years of age. I also grew up on the shore, so I have always had an interest in marine life.

Nucky 04-26-2019 08:10 PM

I would have loved to have had a better direction in life shortly after High School. My Father passed away and we all lost our guiding star for a while. Fortunately, the entire family reconnected before some passed away from age & illness. Graduated High School in 1976 and was forced into College. It didn't go well as I am more Mechanically and Electronically inclined. If I had Mrs. Nucky at that time instead of on the Second Round I'm sure I would have been a successful business owner. I did own a Copy Machine Sales & Service business for about 7 years and made great money but my heart was never fully in it.

In the end, I'm Grateful For the Career I had in Concrete Manufacturing Business and miss it and the people badly. I consider myself fortunate. I could have all ended earlier a lot earlier.

I wish my Career was fully in Real Estate not just flipping houses. I'd be living in a beautiful house with a Palm Tree in the front. Hey, I am! Grateful!