Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Darrell's 996 Bichara Blvd, Lady Lake, FL 32159 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/darrells-996-bichara-blvd-lady-lake-fl-32159-a-290433/)

JoelJohnson 04-26-2019 08:37 AM

Darrell's 996 Bichara Blvd, Lady Lake, FL 32159

Been going to Darrell's for 4 years now 3-4 times a week, this past Thursday (4/25)I had a horrible experience. We also try to sit in front outside to enjoy seeing the people go by. A couple left the table by the door and I sat down, even though the table was not cleared yet, we've done this in the past. The manager on duty, Derik, came out and said there clean tables around the corner, I told that why I sat there. He said that there was a sign inside the door that "Please wait to be seated" (which could not be seen from outside). That sign has not been used since I've been going there and told him so, he got very rude and said "it's going to ne a long time before table got cleared", then he proceeded to go to the other two tables to get their orders and every time he went by the table he didn't bother to even take one dirty dish, like it was beneath him to clear a table. With that I told my friend that I was leaving, my friend said the Derik told him that he wasn't going to serve us until I apologised! All the other servers are always very pleasant and helpful.

I'll go back, but this experience has left me with a bad taste with me.

dewilson58 04-26-2019 09:47 AM

Unfortunate.

You never know what is going on in an individual's life.

No excuse, just you never know.

Tweety Bird 04-26-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelJohnson (Post 1645135)
Been going to Darrell's for 4 years now 3-4 times a week, this past Thursday (4/25)I had a horrible experience. We also try to sit in front outside to enjoy seeing the people go by. A couple left the table by the door and I sat down, even though the table was not cleared yet, we've done this in the past. The manager on duty, Derik, came out and said there clean tables around the corner, I told that why I sat there. He said that there was a sign inside the door that "Please wait to be seated" (which could not be seen from outside). That sign has not been used since I've been going there and told him so, he got very rude and said "it's going to ne a long time before table got cleared", then he proceeded to go to the other two tables to get their orders and every time he went by the table he didn't bother to even take one dirty dish, like it was beneath him to clear a table. With that I told my friend that I was leaving, my friend said the Derik told him that he wasn't going to serve us until I apologised! All the other servers are always very pleasant and helpful.

I'll go back, but this experience has left me with a bad taste with me.

So my question would be, why did you not sit at a clean table?

n8xwb 04-26-2019 10:44 AM

Some of my thoughts after reading your post.

1. I'm surprised as a primary rule for customer service is "the customer is always right"

That being said:

Why do you feel that you can avoid following their seating rule? Just because you think it isn't used doesn't make it so. Are you somehow special? Perhaps someone else had previously asked for the table you sat down at. Perhaps tables are assigned so wait staff have similar work loads. Who knows? I don't. You don't. Since I wasn't there, I don't know how this all went down, but I would like to point out that telling you, no, you can't sit at a table, is not being rude -- his table, not yours! And you certainly don't have the right to expect to sit where you want, when you want ( except of course at your own home).

For me, this feeling of privilege has run amuck lately. I see it with the examples of bad parking. I see it at our golf courses when my ball is embedded in someone's footsteps in a sand trap (oh no, what a lousy approach) that almost never gets raked. I see it when folks park using their "handicap" placards, then hop out of their Corvette or Miata and proceed with NO difficulty walking, at all. We all see it every single day. Another example -- how about the golfer ahead displaying a "reasonable accommodation ribbon", who then pulls up to within a foot or two of the green?

Over and over and over we all see it -- and as Florida gets more and more crowded we see it more and more.

Sure would be nice if EVERYONE backed off, and realized they are one of many, followed the rules, didn't complain when they don't get exactly what they want, etc. etc. etc.

We are all lucky to be down here, not working, enjoying the lifestyle, but no, we do not get special privileges, nor should we.

retiredguy123 04-26-2019 11:03 AM

I agree with the OP. Most restaurants will guide you to a table, but will let you sit where you want. I would not return to one that didn't. And, if the restaurant is not very busy, I don't like it when they try to seat people in one section instead of spreading them out. I try to go to restaurants when they are not busy so the noise level is lower. There is plenty of competition in the restaurant business, and I think they should be trying to satisfy the customers, not the servers.

Fredman 04-26-2019 12:00 PM

I eat at that restaurant several times a week and have always been treated with respect by that waiter (of course I don't sit at dirty tables). The op sounds like a privileged villager. Anyone with common sense doesn't sit at a dirty table because the servers are busy taking orders and cleaning tables is not a priority. He offered to take your order if you would have moved to a clean table. You were away out of line with your behavior and should be embarrassed for posting about the incident. 👎👎👎

bagboy 04-26-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1645197)
I eat at that restaurant several times a week and have always been treated with respect by that waiter (of course I don't sit at dirty tables). The op sounds like a privileged villager. Anyone with common sense doesn't sit at a dirty table because the servers are busy taking orders and cleaning tables is not a priority. He offered to take your order if you would have moved to a clean table. You were away out of line with your behavior and should be embarrassed for posting about the incident. ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿ ½ï¿½

Well said, and I might add, to call out a server/Mgr by name is quite out of line.

Kilmacowen 04-26-2019 03:14 PM

The sign said "Please wait to be seated"

JoelJohnson 04-26-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilmacowen (Post 1645278)
The sign said "Please wait to be seated"

The sign could not be seen from outside, and since it was never an issue before, there was no reason to look for it.

Topspinmo 04-26-2019 03:39 PM

Must not tip enough, at my previous location We dined at Tex mex restaurant, and had no problems finding seat I preferred. Naturally I wouldn’t go for seat that had not been busted yet. Maitre d knew us by name as asked where I would like to set. The waiters was more than happy to make us happy cause they knew they would get rewarded for good service.

PNaughton 04-26-2019 04:35 PM

:agree::agree::agree::bigbow:
Quote:

Originally Posted by n8xwb (Post 1645180)
Some of my thoughts after reading your post.

1. I'm surprised as a primary rule for customer service is "the customer is always right"

That being said:

Why do you feel that you can avoid following their seating rule? Just because you think it isn't used doesn't make it so. Are you somehow special? Perhaps someone else had previously asked for the table you sat down at. Perhaps tables are assigned so wait staff have similar work loads. Who knows? I don't. You don't. Since I wasn't there, I don't know how this all went down, but I would like to point out that telling you, no, you can't sit at a table, is not being rude -- his table, not yours! And you certainly don't have the right to expect to sit where you want, when you want ( except of course at your own home).

For me, this feeling of privilege has run amuck lately. I see it with the examples of bad parking. I see it at our golf courses when my ball is embedded in someone's footsteps in a sand trap (oh no, what a lousy approach) that almost never gets raked. I see it when folks park using their "handicap" placards, then hop out of their Corvette or Miata and proceed with NO difficulty walking, at all. We all see it every single day. Another example -- how about the golfer ahead displaying a "reasonable accommodation ribbon", who then pulls up to within a foot or two of the green?

Over and over and over we all see it -- and as Florida gets more and more crowded we see it more and more.

Sure would be nice if EVERYONE backed off, and realized they are one of many, followed the rules, didn't complain when they don't get exactly what they want, etc. etc. etc.

We are all lucky to be down here, not working, enjoying the lifestyle, but no, we do not get special privileges, nor should we.

Midnight Cowgirl 04-26-2019 05:04 PM

Regardless of all the comments stating pro or con thoughts, there is NO excuse for the way in which the CUSTOMER was treated.

bagboy 04-26-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1645320)
Regardless of all the comments stating pro or con thoughts, there is NO excuse for the way in which the CUSTOMER was treated.

But, you were not there, you don't KNOW exactly what happened.

JoMar 04-26-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1645182)
I agree with the OP. Most restaurants will guide you to a table, but will let you sit where you want. I would not return to one that didn't. And, if the restaurant is not very busy, I don't like it when they try to seat people in one section instead of spreading them out. I try to go to restaurants when they are not busy so the noise level is lower. There is plenty of competition in the restaurant business, and I think they should be trying to satisfy the customers, not the servers.

Satisfying customers doesn't always mean doing what the customer wants since there is usually a difference in opinion. I worked for several companies that had rules, procedures, staffing etc. that tried to focus on the customer but also on profits and expenses, you know, that PITA bottom line. I know it's sometimes hard to accept, but the customer isn't always right. I do agree that if where you go doesn't meet your expectations then you should go and find a place that does.....asking a place of business to change what works for them to suit your expectations....well, don't think that's going to happen. And to the OP, Derick evidently explained the situation and it puzzles me why you ignored it.

Midnight Cowgirl 04-26-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1645321)
But, you were not there, you don't KNOW exactly what happened.

No, I wasn't there and you weren't either, but you seem to not believe the OP. Why not?

I can only respond to what I've read -- to what the OP posted.

If what the OP has posted is exactly what happened, the manager had no right to talk and treat the customer in the way which was described. To be spoken to and then ignored? Sorry. The manager should be fired. You don't speak to or treat customers that way.