Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Meat Loaf, Can't go wrong... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/meat-loaf-cant-go-wrong-290628/)

monsegur 04-29-2019 06:22 AM

Meat Loaf, Can't go wrong...

1 lb. Chopped meat
1 8 oz. Can tomato sauce. Use half for meat loaf. Save other half for later.
1 small onion.
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumps.
Chop onion and mix above together to form loaf. Bake in oven at 350 for half hour.

Make sauce with other half of tomato sauce
2 tea spoons of vinegar.
2 tea spoons of mustard.
2 tea spoons of brown sugar.
Mix together and pour over meatloaf. Bake another half hour. :MOJE_whot:

Butterfly201 04-29-2019 08:03 AM

Will try this!

BK001 04-29-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsegur (Post 1645875)
1 lb. Chopped meat
1 small onion.
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumps.
Chop onion and mix above together to form loaf. Bake in oven at 350 for half hour.

2 tea spoons of vinegar.
2 tea spoons of mustard.

OK -- I am going to make this today. Exactly as written.* I'll let you know how we liked it.

janht 04-29-2019 02:16 PM

That's been our family recipe except we use a cup of Quaker Oats vs the bread crumbs (much healthier and GF!) The sauce is different though...might try that. It is a great recipe. My mother used to lay raw bacon over it the last 30 mins or so.

aninjamom 04-29-2019 02:18 PM

A variation my family enjoyed; mix taco seasoning into the meatloaf, and pour salsa over the top to bake. :icon_wink:

Garywt 04-29-2019 04:43 PM

We do not use the onion, we use pasta sauce, we put the second have of the pasta sauce on right away and cook for the hour. It is actually in the oven tonight and will be ready in 15 minutes.

BK001 04-30-2019 05:46 AM

Ok. Made it exactly as written. The meatloaf did come out very tender. If I were to make it again, I would cut back on the mustard since I felt it slightly overwhelmed the taste. (Slight overwhelm -- is that an oxymoron?)

Overall, I think I prefer meatloaf recipes with a brown gravy base as opposed to a tomato base. But that is just personal preference. I also think that if I made it again, I would gently simmer the onions rather than putting them raw into the meat.

But thank you. Always love trying different recipes and approaches to food preparation.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-30-2019 06:22 AM

I use the Lipton beefy onion soup mix recipe, but I swap out ketchup for barbeque sauce. I also have the butcher grind me up a nice chuck roast, so it's somewhere around 78-82% lean.

BK001 04-30-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1646130)
I use the Lipton beefy onion soup mix recipe, but I swap out ketchup for barbeque sauce. I also have the butcher grind me up a nice chuck roast, so it's somewhere around 78-82% lean.

Yes, I think we would have liked it better using Lipton beefy onion. DH is not a big fan of meatloaf so I don't make it frequently. But next time I will definitely try the Lipton's. I might even thicken it ever so slightly with flour or corn starch so that it has more of a gravy consistency. What do you think? Have you ever tried that?

Bay Kid 04-30-2019 07:59 AM

Sounds easy enough for even me to make!

logdog 05-02-2019 04:44 PM

Instead of a can of tomato sauce, try a can of sloppy joe or manwich sauce for more flavor.

Jima64 05-05-2019 04:08 PM

We cut back on the bread crumbs and add a cup of grated zuchini, also mix some pork in with the ground beef.

Taltarzac725 05-05-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsegur (Post 1645875)
1 lb. Chopped meat
1 small onion.
1 egg
1 cup of bread crumps.

2 tea spoons of vinegar.
2 tea spoons of mustard.

Meatloaf | Publix Recipes

What kind of meat? We use beef and pork which is often pre-packaged for meat loaf at Publix.

I have really messed up a meat loaf before.

bilcon 05-05-2019 05:47 PM

Skip the source and use Italian flavored bread crumbs.. Just saying ...

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-05-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1646132)
Yes, I think we would have liked it better using Lipton beefy onion. DH is not a big fan of meatloaf so I don't make it frequently. But next time I will definitely try the Lipton's. I might even thicken it ever so slightly with flour or corn starch so that it has more of a gravy consistency. What do you think? Have you ever tried that?

The soup mix just serves as the spice and flavoring, it doesn't do much in the way of consistency at all. You toss it in dry, with sauce (ketchup or bbq sauce), bread crumbs, a couple of eggs, and water. If you like to really spice it up you can add a couple or three drops of tobasco, or a pinch of red pepper flakes.

My secret for getting it to come out moist rather than dry, is I use warm water, and mix it with my hands, which I run under warm water before I start mixing (after washing them of course!).