Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Juicy Pork Chops (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/juicy-pork-chops-290634/)

TexasHoldEm 04-29-2019 07:47 AM

Juicy Pork Chops

GREAT juicy pork chops

4 cups cold water
1/8 cup salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 tbl. chopped fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tbl. black pepper
4 pork chops (bone-in or boneless)

SAUCE (optional):

2 tbl. maple syrup
2 tbl. dijon mustard

Make brine by combining first 8 ingred. Add chops and refrigerate for 8 - 10 hrs.

Remove pork from brine and pat dry.

Season with black pepper.

Heat 1 tbl. extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbl. butter. Sear chops for about 4 min. per side. (see sauce note below)
Let sit 5 min. before serving.

If using sauce, mix maple syrup and mustard, brush on chops on 2nd side before finishing cooking.

BK001 04-29-2019 07:56 AM

Looks interesting. I have never brined pork chops before so this will be a new adventure -- although since DH does not eat pork I usually only order them in restaurants. But I may just give this a try!

Butterfly201 04-29-2019 08:06 AM

The brining also interests me... I will give this a try as mostly my pork chops too well done...

BK001 04-29-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly201 (Post 1645911)
The brining also interests me... I will give this a try as mostly my pork chops too well done...

I know what you mean. That's why usually if I do make pork chops, I coat with egg and breadcrumbs and then fry. I think it helps to avoid the meat from getting too tough. But higher calories and carbs. So the above looks interesting.

CFrance 04-29-2019 02:32 PM

Saving this recipe. Thanks.

Midnight Cowgirl 04-29-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1645913)
I know what you mean. That's why usually if I do make pork chops, I coat with egg and breadcrumbs and then fry. I think it helps to avoid the meat from getting too tough. But higher calories and carbs. So the above looks interesting.

I never fry them.

I bake them in my toaster oven or if you don't have a good toaster oven (I have a Breville), then the regular oven. Coat them with your favorite choice. Set your oven to 425 and bake for 15-20 minutes depending upon the thickness of the pork.

They won't be dry and you will save yourself from frying in oil.

Carla B 04-30-2019 07:17 AM

I buy the very thin ones, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then sear them in a little olive oil just until browned, maybe 20 seconds each side (although I've never timed it). Voila! Cooked through but still tender.

dewilson58 04-30-2019 07:45 AM

If you purchase chops with bone-in (sometimes called an Iowa Chop, fairly thick), and if you grill..............What I like to dew is cook the chop up-right, with the bone on the grate.

It cooks inside, out thru the bone.

Mikeod 04-30-2019 11:43 AM

We’ve tried many ways to prepare pork chops with minimal success in getting tender results. Then we tried the pork chops from Pasture Prime at their Brownwood Farmer’s Market location. They’re expensive compared to grocery stores, but the result is always a tender, juicy chop.

I know the old warning was to cook pork well done to reduce the chance of trichinosis, but a lot of the current advice is to cook them similar to beef. So, I cook them to a medium on my food thermometer or sous vide. Delicious.

Henryk 06-08-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1646142)
If you purchase chops with bone-in (sometimes called an Iowa Chop, fairly thick), and if you grill..............What I like to dew is cook the chop up-right, with the bone on the grate.

It cools inside, out thru the bone.

This is intriguing. Can you elaborate? TIA!

dewilson58 06-08-2019 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryk (Post 1656294)
This is intriguing. Can you elaborate? TIA!

On the grill, Tower the Chops. Bone on grate, leaning against each other (two at a time).

Fixed my typo on original post................cooks inside out.............not cools.

Henryk 06-08-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1656301)
On the grill, Tower the Chops. Bone on grate, leaning against each other (two at a time).

Fixed my typo on original post................cooks inside out.............not cools.

I have got to try this!