Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   AC temp while on vacation (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/ac-temp-while-vacation-290952/)

frostola 05-05-2019 08:09 AM

AC temp while on vacation

What is a good temp to set the thermostat at while on vacation during the summer months?

dewilson58 05-05-2019 08:19 AM

OpusX1 05-05-2019 09:00 AM

When I was a snowbird I would set mine at 87 during the day and 84 at night, that way the ac would always come. On once a day to circulate the air. Never had a mold or mildew problem. This only works if you have a programmable thermostat.

retiredguy123 05-05-2019 09:15 AM

There is a de-humidify setting that will over-cool the temperature setting by about 3 degrees when the humidity is high. So, if you set the temperature to 82, it will cool the house down to 79 only when the humidity goes above the humidity setting.

anothersteve 05-05-2019 09:16 AM

And keep the ceiling fans on low just to keep the air circulating
Steve

Toymeister 05-05-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1647392)
And keep the ceiling fans on low just to keep the air circulating
Steve

I advise against this. First the enemy of a vacant home is mold. Ceiling fans do not inhibit mold, dry air does.

Your goal is 60% or less.

I have a humidity monitor, anything above 84 routinely trips the alarm.

Second point on the ceiling fans: if you run four at low you will consume 57.6 KwH of electricity. This is a 80% increase in your vampire electricity load. It is simply a waste of money. Use that money to run your ac an extra 23.5 hours in a month.

How do I know this? I have a electricity monitor which checks the draw 10,000 times a second. It has been helpful to discuss or decide the benefits of electricity usage, as well as identify problems.

anothersteve 05-05-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1647400)
I advise against this. First the enemy of a vacant home is mold. Ceiling fans do not inhibit mold, dry air does.

Your goal is 60% or less.

I have a humidity monitor, anything above 84 routinely trips the alarm.

Second point on the ceiling fans: if you run four at low you will consume 57.6 KwH of electricity. This is a 80% increase in your vampire electricity load. It is simply a waste of money. Use that money to run your ac an extra 23.5 hours in a month.

How do I know this? I have a electricity monitor which checks the draw 10,000 times a second. It has been helpful to discuss or decide the benefits of electricity usage, as well as identify problems.

I had my AC set on 81, with the ceiling fans (3), on low for six months at minimal expense. To each his own.
Steve

Arctic Fox 05-05-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostola (Post 1647363)
What is a good temp to set the thermostat at while on vacation during the summer months?

Install a humidistat. That way you can set your a/c to 80F and it will only kick in when the humidity is high (which is what causes mold). Leave the fans off.

HiHoSteveO 05-05-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostola (Post 1647363)

Cool "Hold" temp at 82

Humidity 58-60%

No ceiling fans

rjm1cc 05-05-2019 10:51 AM

Low 80's should work. The point of the AC being on is to reduce the humidity in the air and thus reduce the possibility of mold. I have read a few articles on setting the AC to the low 70's from say midnight to 6 am to dehumidify the air. Thus dehumidifying the air once a day.

Peterriess 05-05-2019 10:53 AM

I installed a Nest thermostat. It has a setting called "Cool to Dry". It controls both temp and humidity. So far it has worked like a charm. No mold, mildew or musty odors. Munns did the installation. programed the thermostat and my iPhone for remote setting.

Aloha1 05-05-2019 10:57 AM

Temp set at 80 and ceiling fans on low. Fans help to spread the air and humidity around the room, balancing the temp which means the a/c won't come on as often. We have 2 ceiling fans on our lanai which is enclosed with glass sliders. Temps and humidity can get up pretty high in the summer so those fans stay on 24/7.

dewilson58 05-05-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 1647435)
Temp set at 80 and ceiling fans on low. Fans help to spread the air and humidity around the room, balancing the temp which means the a/c won't come on as often. We have 2 ceiling fans on our lanai which is enclosed with glass sliders. Temps and humidity can get up pretty high in the summer so those fans stay on 24/7.

I've never left fans on when on Vaca........(the OP question)......do you leave them on for weeks at a time when away??

ColdNoMore 05-05-2019 11:29 AM

I leave my thermostat at 83 in summer and the heater at 67 in winter, so that it will hopefully come on at least a few times when I'm gone for more than a few days...but never run the fans.

The way I look at it, there is a finite number of hours on any fan...so why accelerate their demise?
:shrug:

Toymeister 05-05-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 1647435)
Temp set at 80 and ceiling fans on low. Fans help to spread the air and humidity around the room, balancing the temp which means the a/c won't come on as often..

With three temp monitors in the home I can assure you that the fans do not balance the temp. From one room to another the temp stays within one degree. I have been observing this remotely for three years. Day after day month after month season after season, one degree.

I can turn on the fans remotely, one degree diff, fans off same results.