Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lovebug Plague! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lovebug-plague-291190/)

EdFNJ 05-09-2019 10:43 AM

Lovebug Plague!

It's like something from the bible here. Now I know how the Egyptians must have felt back when the Pharaoh wouldn't believe. I just walked into our lanai and the swarm of lovebugs all around outside is like a dark cloud. Thousands upon thousands, We've gone through 2 previous years with virtually none. They are getting even with us, Never seen anything like it. From all the reading I have been doing there seems to be no way to stop them or keep them away. Is there?

Joeg180 05-09-2019 10:58 AM

I saw this on Facebook Village Insider group, I haven’t tried it, but others are swearing by it:

Put water in a bright white bowl. Add a couple spoonfuls of baby oil and sit it outside.

They show a disgusting picture of the bowl full of the bugs after 30 minutes.

dewilson58 05-09-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeg180 (Post 1648512)
I saw this on Facebook Village Insider group, I haven’t tried it, but others are swearing by it:

Put water in a bright white bowl. Add a couple spoonfuls of baby oil and sit it outside.

Check back into Facebook..........didn't work.

My Post 05-09-2019 11:06 AM

Article about it in USA Today this week:

Lovebugs are swarming Florida cars: Facts about the invasive bugs

EdFNJ 05-09-2019 11:06 AM

I have read they are attracted to the color WHITE from real sources. I can sort of vouch for that because where ever we park our all white car they seem to swarm. When we back out of the garage it's unbelievable. They seem to come out of nowhere and follow us until we are in the street with some speed. It's really gross. Best one I read was to spray your car with cooking oil so they slide off!

Joeg180 05-09-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1648515)
Check back into Facebook..........didn't work.

Two of the three responses are positive, the third state what lovebugs feed on.....

Haven’t seen any negative/failed comments?

EdFNJ 05-09-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeg180 (Post 1648512)

With zillions of them flying around our lanai & patio even if that worked it wouldn't make a dent. I tried videoing but they don't show because of our screen. It's remarkable how many there are. I "fog" them with some RAID so we can leave the house and the place is littered with F-Bug bodies. Used a leaf blower to blow 'em onto the grass. REALLY GROSS!

vintageogauge 05-09-2019 11:17 AM

I came out of Ace yesterday and my white car was covered with them, I couldn't get in the car without a few getting inside the car.

Bjeanj 05-09-2019 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Last week we drove back up from a visit to Miami. After unpacking, we took the car straight over to the car wash!

Yes, they’re terrible!

EdFNJ 05-09-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1648525)
I came out of Ace yesterday and my white car was covered with them, I couldn't get in the car without a few getting inside the car.

Our "go kit" includes a can of Raid, a white towel to fake surrender and swat them away and a bottle of dawn dish soap with water and a sponge to get them off the windshield. "They" say dawn is the best thing to remove their splattered remains from glass.

dewilson58 05-09-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeg180 (Post 1648519)
Two of the three responses are positive, the third state what lovebugs feed on.....

Haven’t seen any negative/failed comments?

Here are the responses:

Joeg180 05-09-2019 11:44 AM

Well Dewilson58 those are on a different post on FB. Is that a post not the same page? If so haven’t seen it.

Can’t please everybody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Post 05-09-2019 11:52 AM

FOX had a report that the idea was from U of Florida...

Hate love-bugs? A white bowl filled with baby oil and water could help - Story | WOFL

salpal 05-09-2019 02:08 PM

I have found a wet dryer sheet (like Bounce) helps remove them from my white car.

Bogie Shooter 05-09-2019 03:00 PM

This too shall pass...……………………….