Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Where have all the flowers gone??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/where-have-all-flowers-gone-29130/)

otherbruddaDarrell 05-13-2010 09:19 AM

Where have all the flowers gone???

It has been a couple years since TV has planted any flowers at the entrance to our Rio Grand Villas and was wondering if any others out there are experiencing that.
I did call and talked with the admin. today and hope to find out why ours has been passed by. The Villas across the street have nice planted flowers as do others in the area.................maybe because we live in an established area with no new homes to sell?
It appears to me that they are keeping the new areas planted real nice in order to sell homes and not doing as much for the more established areas.:mad:

graciegirl 05-13-2010 09:49 AM

I have noticed that the older areas don't look quite as spiffy as the newer ones in the flower department. You know I am a loyal cheerleader for all things villages but this just isn't right.

Bogie Shooter 05-13-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherbruddaDarrell (Post 264571)
It has been a couple years since TV has planted any flowers at the entrance to our Rio Grand Villas and was wondering if any others out there are experiencing that.
I did call and talked with the admin. today and hope to find out why ours has been passed by. The Villas across the street have nice planted flowers as do others in the area.................maybe because we live in an established area with no new homes to sell?
It appears to me that they are keeping the new areas planted real nice in order to sell homes and not doing as much for the more established areas.:mad:

What did admin. say?

Boomer 05-13-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherbruddaDarrell (Post 264571)

Hi obD,

Please let us know when you get your answer...or your flowers.

When we first looked at TV, in 2007, I was told that the flowers are changed 4 times a year and the cost was covered by the fees paid by the residents. (It might have been 3 times, but I think it was 4.) Anyway the flowers looked wonderful everywhere then. And I remember at the time thinking..."Where do all the flowers go?" -- after they are dug up.

At the time though, the TV real estate market was just starting to come down from the days when those who were ready to buy were often given a really short time to make up their minds or it was on to the next one on the list. But we were not ready to buy then anyway. But now, as a potential buyer of a second home, out here watching things closely, I hope your lack of new flowers was just an oversight and not a trend.

Thanks for letting us know, and please keep us posted.

Boomer the Flower Girl

graciegirl 05-13-2010 11:00 AM

Ah yes the flowers.

O.K. Boomer, sometimes you do this, but I won't be able to do it as well. I mean talk about the subject, just a little off the subject, but kinda on the subject.

It seems like the flowers are changed more than four times a year because they kind of evolve into different looks. In the Spring, they planted those ornamental cabbages and they were big and cabbagy at first and then the grew long skinny flowers and meanwhile the other flowers in the bed were eating up all their rapidgro and just filling out and blooming their little heads off, so that what was at first SOME yellow snapdragons became a LOT of yellow snapdragons and because they are all planted so precisely in diagonals and rows, they just keep looking better and better as the season progresses until............someone in the dead of night takes them away and gives us a whole new bunch of different flowers. I think Boomer that is because the flowers that disappeared weren't gonna be good for that time of the year...either the heat or the cold or something....ANYWAY, even during the cold they were showing off. The flowers I mean.

I was trying to show off just now. Trying to write like Boomer, Soaring Parsley Boomer, THE Flower Girl.

I will never do it , but every once in awhile I just have to try!!!:a20:

zcaveman 05-13-2010 11:01 AM

I do know that they replace the flowers at the Springdale/Piedmont entries and circle and the Glenview entry and circle. I will have to look at the other gates when I go to lunch today.

otherbruddaDarrell 05-13-2010 10:08 PM

When I called the admin. office this morning they took my name, address and phone number and said a supervisor would call me back.
It is now 11 pm and no phone call...................

Talk Host 05-14-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherbruddaDarrell (Post 264732)
When I called the admin. office this morning they took my name, address and phone number and said a supervisor would call me back.
It is now 11 pm and no phone call...................

Maybe the supervisor was out planting flowers.

graciegirl 05-14-2010 09:40 AM

Waiting to hear of something on your flower dilemma OtherBrudda....Do I need to come down there and take them on myself?:confused:

:shrug:I think ALL villages should have equal flowers. I feel strongly about this. What has happened here??:sigh:

zcaveman 05-14-2010 07:16 PM

I drove from Springdale to LSL and all of the entrances with signs had flower. Some needed watering because they looked very dry.

Try calling your CDD rep. They control the upkeep in your district. That is what you pay for annually on your tax bill.

SALYBOW 05-14-2010 08:56 PM

Flowers for Buttonwood

When I look at a home in Buttonwood that is on the new homes site, there is a beautiful, flower filled garden in front of the Buttonwood sign. When I went out yesterday to take pictures of my future new neighborhood, they were all dead. Buttonwood is one of the newest so it is at least equal opportunity garden neglect. LOL:shrug:

Bogie Shooter 05-14-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 264584)
Hi obD,

Please let us know when you get your answer...or your flowers.

When we first looked at TV, in 2007, I was told that the flowers are changed 4 times a year and the cost was covered by the fees paid by the residents. (It might have been 3 times, but I think it was 4.) Anyway the flowers looked wonderful everywhere then. And I remember at the time thinking..."Where do all the flowers go?" -- after they are dug up.

At the time though, the TV real estate market was just starting to come down from the days when those who were ready to buy were often given a really short time to make up their minds or it was on to the next one on the list. But we were not ready to buy then anyway. But now, as a potential buyer of a second home, out here watching things closely, I hope your lack of new flowers was just an oversight and not a trend.

Thanks for letting us know, and please keep us posted.

Boomer the Flower Girl

Hard to imagine that a few flowers would be a deal breaker.

Pturner 05-14-2010 09:47 PM

Back when there was an issue with golf course conditions, I seem to recall that it took a few tries before one of the TOTVers was able to find the right person-- someone who could and was willing to address the issue. Conditions improved.

I hope this will happen again. obD has not yet received a response. Here's encouraging others who see deteriorating Village entrances to make some calls. I'm not in TV now-- boo hoo-- or I surely would.

I think it works best when people report the issue respectfully, ask questions and let admins. know that we want and expect better for our community. Expressing anger might be less effective as it is often met with defensiveness.

TOTVers alerting each other to issues affecting our community is one of the things I love about this site! Much thanks to obD for calling this to our attention.

starflyte1 05-15-2010 11:01 AM

This morning, Saturday, I drove on Morse Blvd., north of 466. The plants and flowers that are there are not looking good-most need water, if it is not too late. The traffic circle at Morse and 27/441 has flowers that were planted just recently, and they are dying from lack of water.

Bogie Shooter 05-15-2010 11:01 AM

Biggest impact to golf course improvements was it warmed up and we got a lot of rain.