Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/do-you-have-regrets-after-moving-tv-291544/)

Mike3461 05-15-2019 06:41 AM

Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?
Will you move back home? Or, to another area?

If you got over your regret, how did you do it?

Thank you.

skip0358 05-15-2019 07:11 AM

Moved here in 2009. My regret wish I'd have done it earlier. Have NO desire to go back to Long Island period.

PennBF 05-15-2019 07:22 AM

Regrets

Yes. The biggest regret is that we did not move here sooner. Your life will change..you will be more active, you will enjoy all of the activities that are available. After about 2-3 years you will tell the family to come here as you don't want to take the trip back and miss a lot of things in The Village. Have been here going on 13 years and don't have any desire to live somewhere else. Spent 12 years on the Beach in southern Florida and it did not compare to the Villages. Would you stay where you are for someone else rather than making your life better. Hopefully you are not in some Co-Dependent relationship(s). If so, you are living for the other person not youself. As they say in the south: "Come on Down":coolsmiley:

Madelaine Amee 05-15-2019 07:29 AM

Never, ever have we regretted this move from Boston. In fact, quite the opposite .... wish we had done it 10 yrs earlier before we spent mega bucks renting for four months each winter on the Gulf Coast.

fw102807 05-15-2019 07:37 AM

I regret not leaving more stuff behind.

NotGolfer 05-15-2019 07:56 AM

Regrets are from "living in the past or for what-if's" and why waste your energy on all that. Be thankful for where you are in LIFE right now. IF you're relocating, then something drew you here and I would go with the excitement of change.

Do I miss where we once lived? Only elements of that---but wouldn't want to go back nor can one actually do that. IF you moved here today and then turned around and moved back again in 6 months to a year---LIFE would have gone on there and you wouldn't fit quite in the niche you once had "there". I've known folks who've done just that (not necessarily from here) but it was always mentioned on how there had been "change" and it wasn't
"like it used to be".

Carpe Diem

perrjojo 05-15-2019 08:01 AM

NOOOOOOOO REGRETS. Best advice I ever recieved...Happiness in not in any one place. Happiness is not with any one person. happiness is always within. You can be unhappy and have regrets or you can be happy with no regrets. It really is your choice. Yes, there are some stresses with a move such as making new friends, learning where to find the grocery store, missing your favorite restaurant. I could go on but think of it as an adventure. An adventure of your choice.

stan the man 05-15-2019 09:09 AM

Yes - every July and August when I think of the beautiful days and the great nights up north. The beauty of the spring green color of the trees. You will find out I say no more

graciegirl 05-15-2019 11:06 AM

Ohio will always live in my heart, the four real seasons and the memories of our little ones and our grands being little too. But now we love the vibrancy of this climate and the enjoyment of conversation with our peers and learning new skills and resting when we are done "working".

I love beautiful and clean and well ordered and well maintained and I love living in a safe environment and The Villages fill the bill. Hope for a continued gentle life.

rustyp 05-15-2019 12:15 PM

Pretty much a one sided survey by asking the question here. I equate it to asking 80% new Cadillac owners how do you like your new car. Ask a new Lincoln owner how did you like your last Cadillac. To be an truer representation you need to reach the people who moved away from here also. Believe it or not there is a fair population that have moved away.

Velvet 05-15-2019 12:51 PM

Can’t say yet for myself as I am just about to live in TV, but my aunt and uncle did not leave TV until they passed away, and my parents only left when a major illness forced them to.

Mikeod 05-15-2019 01:02 PM

I think it’s normal to miss some aspects of your previous residence. You know the most reliable mechanic, the best little restaurant, the nicest out of the way escape for a weekend. A lot of us Villagers moved here from vastly different climates.

But, after researching places to spend the rest of my years, this place fills more of my needs and wants than anyplace I saw, and definitely the place I left.

Midnight Cowgirl 05-15-2019 01:19 PM

Mike -- It sounds as though you aren't here yet. My advice would be not to second guess what will be in store for you when you get here. If you are married you will have the fun of seeking new things and people with your wife, so you won't be alone. If you are single, there are clubs you can join, even a singles club, and probably a club from the area where you are from. Just about every state has a club here! I can guarantee that no matter what your interests are they will be a club you can join where you will meet others who share your same interests.

Once you get semi-settled don't sit home and pine away. Go to the pool, talk to people when you go to get your mail, go to the squares at night . . . . . in short, get out and make yourself visible! Even reading and commenting on this site you can meet new friends and acquaintances. Chin up and smile. You've already made the decision to be here and now you can make the most of it and be happy!

jebartle 05-15-2019 01:43 PM

Regret we didn't move here sooner, might have avoided price hike, we moved here in 2006.

sallybowron 05-15-2019 02:42 PM

I regret moving here because at home I had so many friends, some for 40-50 years, and down here not so much. Mostly though I miss my family, watching my grand kids play sports and watching my son perform in plays and Cabarets. Many of my classmates still get together 2-3 times a month and I miss that. We are thinking of renting a place up there and going back and forth. We are going up to see Ryan in a Cabaret in June and will look around then. Just my opinion.