Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   What wine to bring to celebrate? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/what-wine-bring-celebrate-291591/)

Kuhaman 05-15-2019 03:31 PM

What wine to bring to celebrate?

Hello Everybody,

My wife and I have bought a house in Desoto and will be coming for the first time June 3. We are very excited to make this house a home! I need suggestions on a bottle of wine to bring with to celebrate our new home. Red, please. Maybe you know a great Cabernet Sauvignon or a delightful Pinot Noir?

dewilson58 05-15-2019 03:46 PM

Full Disclosure: I'm cheap, but I do like a tasty wine............Robert Mondavi Private Selection.

Don't get overly impressed with "Private Selection".......doesn't drive cost.

Good Luck.

raynan 05-15-2019 07:59 PM

Decoy Cabernet is good.

Fredman 05-15-2019 08:02 PM

Thunderbird

CFrance 05-16-2019 02:10 AM

Any red by Kendall-Jackson.

Kuhaman 05-16-2019 07:55 AM

I do like Robert Mondavi. My favorite is the Cabernet Sauvignon, private selection, aged in Bourbon barrels.

retiredguy123 05-16-2019 08:20 AM

I was once given a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne. I drank it, but I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Cooks that I usually buy.

valuemkt 05-16-2019 09:13 AM

So "bring" is the operative word. Unless you';re going for mass market, you'll find the selections close by to be limited. So buy it where you are and drive it down .. but dont put it in the trunk !! I have some vintage Italian wines I'm still figuring out how to move down ..
A nice intermediate red is Stag's Leap Artemis.

Everyone has their own taste, but I stay away from Pinots.. I look at them as Cabs that are too strong for the drinker, so they add water and poof there you have a social wine with no body or taste ..

If you want to go up a bit, you can't go wrong with Alexander Valley Silver Oak ..

If you;re going to have some fun and add some cheese and salami for example, try RUFFINO CHIANTI RISERVA DUCALE D'ORO (GOLD)
Also very nice and moderately priced.

Have fun !!

Kuhaman 05-16-2019 10:10 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, I may try the Stag's if I can find it. I plan to bring a few bottles, but we are bringing all of our "stuff", so it will be limited to a couple bottles. Some good Wisconsin cheese will be coming with for sure!

We can hardly stand to wait any longer to get there. Feeling like little kids before Christmas.

New Englander 05-16-2019 10:36 AM

It's not Cabernet, but I recommend Hahn Pinot Noir 2016. About $15 and excellent.

Velvet 05-16-2019 10:58 AM

Frog’s Leap, bit more expensive than Stag, and Rutherford’s cabs. The pinos have very mild - almost watery taste for me. A nice inexpensive mix with cabs is Ménage a Trois; but only Midnight, or Silk. I also find even one year older with cabs makes a difference in taste and price. If you love good wine in general Napa wineries like Rutherford, Sterling, etc have clubs and will send you their pick of wines regularly, sometimes introducing their special reserves, which are to die for, at their club prices.

Two Bills 05-16-2019 12:41 PM

Bridge Road, a Californian Cabernet Sauvignon.
Six bucks a gallon at Aldis.
Does the job!

Kuhaman 05-16-2019 12:48 PM

:coolsmiley:

photo1902 05-16-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuhaman (Post 1650255)
Thanks for the recommendations, I may try the Stag's if I can find it. I plan to bring a few bottles, but we are bringing all of our "stuff", so it will be limited to a couple bottles. Some good Wisconsin cheese will be coming with for sure!

We can hardly stand to wait any longer to get there. Feeling like little kids before Christmas.

Try ABC Fine Wine and Spirits. One is on 466a, the other on 27/441. The selection is out of this world, and they carry the Artemis (Stag's Leap). As far as the poster commenting on a limited selection down this way, perhaps he/she has never tried ABC.

luperona9 05-16-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1650293)
Bridge Road, a Californian Cabernet Sauvignon.
Six bucks a gallon at Aldis.
Does the job!

That's cheap. I thought Florida wine sales were limited to 3 liters per container. Never saw a gallon here. Will look for it.

Thanks