Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Good Lord, have you smelled the irrigation water lately? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/good-lord-have-you-smelled-irrigation-water-lately-291594/)

sunburn 05-15-2019 04:36 PM

Good Lord, have you smelled the irrigation water lately?

Always foul, but are they using straight sewage now?

vintageogauge 05-15-2019 05:47 PM

I was working with ours this morning and no odor.

EdFNJ 05-15-2019 05:53 PM

Depends on where you live and how long it's been since you last turned it on or how many people flush at once. :D Some areas use potable water some not. Ours NOT. We have the "sewer-poop-like" water here (Amelia). It's gross. When I get sprayed by it I have to take a shower. I find it's at it's worse when you haven't watered in a while.

Midnight Cowgirl 05-15-2019 07:52 PM

OMG. Yuk!!

Have you called anyone about it?

graciegirl 05-15-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1650107)
OMG. Yuk!!

Have you called anyone about it?

No need to. Bacteria grows in warm moist places and that stinks. Just run your sprinklers regularly and flush them out.

DonH57 05-15-2019 10:02 PM

It doesn't taste any worse!

Midnight Cowgirl 05-16-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1650125)
No need to. Bacteria grows in warm moist places and that stinks. Just run your sprinklers regularly and flush them out.

The OP said "always foul."
Always foul is not bacteria and the "always" indicates that the OP does run his sprinklers.

They have a problem beyond bacteria.

biker1 05-16-2019 12:58 AM

In case you are wondering, treated wastewater is not used for residential irrigation in The Villages. It is, however, used for golf course irrigation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburn (Post 1650058)
Always foul, but are they using straight sewage now?

graciegirl 05-16-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1650159)
Always foul is not bacteria and the "always" indicates that the OP does run his sprinklers.

When it is very hot, water that lays inside our sprinkler system smells very yucky until that water sprays out and is replaced with

A. The water from the same system used inside the home if one lives North of 466. OR.

B. The water from the network of drainage ponds used for irrigation and flood control on the South side of 466.

The grass and flowers do not seem to mind it. All bacteria does not harm. Some bacteria is stinky. Viruses are in the news, get vaccinated now against Herpes Zoster.

Bogie Shooter 05-16-2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1650159)

"Always" is kinda like "a million cars daily" over the Morse Blvd bridge.:1rotfl:

stan the man 05-16-2019 07:05 AM

:bigbow::bigbow:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1650152)
It doesn't taste any worse!

anothersteve 05-16-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1650175)
"Always" is kinda like "a million cars daily" over the Morse Blvd bridge.:1rotfl:

I caught that too. :icon_wink:
Steve

dewilson58 05-16-2019 07:39 AM

Let me know when it starts smelling better so I can re-start my front yard morning showers again.

DAVES 05-16-2019 08:17 AM

Does anyone KNOW?

We are on the southside and have two separate water systems.
One is potable water, used in the home, the other is used in the sprinkler system. As I understand it we actually pay more for water on the southside and the sprinkler water, less treated, should actually be cheaper.

Has anyone tested the sprinkler water? I would assume it includes stuff like insecticides, fertilizer etc. Is it safe to use on FOOD CROPS? Is it consistent quality? Is it monitored? The water definitely has IRON in it. Perhaps good for the lawn but it does leave brown stains where it hits the cement.

graciegirl 05-16-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVES (Post 1650213)
We are on the southside and have two separate water systems.
One is potable water, used in the home, the other is used in the sprinkler system. As I understand it we actually pay more for water on the southside and the sprinkler water, less treated, should actually be cheaper.

Has anyone tested the sprinkler water? I would assume it includes stuff like insecticides, fertilizer etc. Is it safe to use on FOOD CROPS? Is it consistent quality? Is it monitored? The water definitely has IRON in it. Perhaps good for the lawn but it does leave brown stains where it hits the cement.

If you have those they usually come from fertilizing your bushes with ferric sulphide. You can get rust remover at Lowes, comes right off.