Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Love Bugs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/love-bugs-291664/)

n8xwb 05-16-2019 07:55 PM

Love Bugs

Just got back from St. Augustine and of course the front of my car was COVERED with love bug remains (ugh).

I recently read a post about easy removal of said mess on a Miata Club forum -- panty hose! I bought a pair, wet the front of the car and the pantyhose, added a little car wash soap and in less than 5 minutes, all gone! It really worked better than any method I've tried to date and I've lived here since 2006!

stevebotts 05-16-2019 07:56 PM

I was a wet dryer sheet.

EdFNJ 05-16-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8xwb (Post 1650386)
Just got back from St. Augustine and of course the front of my car was COVERED with love bug remains (ugh).

I recently read a post about easy removal of said mess on a Miata Club forum -- panty hose! I bought a pair, wet the front of the car and the pantyhose, added a little car wash soap and in less than 5 minutes, all gone! It really worked better than any method I've tried to date and I've lived here since 2006!

Do you have to be in the pantyhose for it to work?

patball 05-16-2019 08:30 PM

Lol edfnj!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vintageogauge 05-16-2019 09:39 PM

Spray them with Bugs B Gone and wash them off, easy as that.

VillageIdiots 05-17-2019 06:14 AM

Many of the washing sponges you can buy have sort if a lightly abrasive mesh on one side. I find that if you spray the front of your vehicle down and then wipe it over lightly with the car wash soap suds, let it sit a minute or two and then come back and wash with the mesh side of the sponge, and most any bugs come off fairly easily. The front end of my vehicle got covered going to the airport 2 weeks ago and then sat in the sun daily in the airport parking lot baking what was left of the bugs on. I just got around to washing yesterday and they were not that difficult to get off using this method. Using that mesh side to go over your windshield before cleaning the windows with window cleaner makes that job much easier as well.

PennBF 05-17-2019 07:15 AM

Another Idea

The person at the Auto Store recommended using a Dryer Cloth used in your automatic dryer for static, etc and then when the bumper is clear of bugs spray it with Pam.??:ho:

vintageogauge 05-17-2019 08:15 AM

I think they have thinned out considerably over the last couple days.

photo1902 05-17-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 1650450)
The person at the Auto Store recommended using a Dryer Cloth used in your automatic dryer for static, etc and then when the bumper is clear of bugs spray it with Pam.??:ho:

Pam is pretty busy, and can't come over for a week or so.

dewilson58 05-17-2019 11:49 AM

Seeing fewer and fewer bugs.

:a040:

coffeebean 05-17-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1650417)
Spray them with Bugs B Gone and wash them off, easy as that.

Same with Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. The stuff just melts. No elbow grease is needed at all. Just wipe away.

coffeebean 05-17-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 1650450)

I read somewhere, (it may have been here) that if you do not remove the Pam right away, it bakes in. The guy had to have the Pam professionally removed because it impossible for him to get off. He learned the hard way.

crash 05-19-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1650507)
I read somewhere, (it may have been here) that if you do not remove the Pam right away, it bakes in. The guy had to have the Pam professionally removed because it impossible for him to get off. He learned the hard way.

The vegetable oil polymerizes and turns in to plastic. Think linseed oil (oil based paint).

Chi-Town 05-19-2019 07:19 PM

Thought they were just about through for the season until driving east on 417 from the Turnpike. It was pop-pop-pop for miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-19-2019 08:07 PM

We drove into a swarm somewhere north of Ocala on the way here. Washed the car and got the white splatters off the windshield once we got to the house. Since then, we've run into a few pairs here and there. We haven't encountered any swarms or infestations anywhere that we've driven between Orange Blossom, Silver Lake, Spanish Springs, Sumter Landing, or even a few spots south of that when we went on a "let's see where this golf cart path takes us" tour over the past several days.