Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Lowering Water Basins (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/lowering-water-basins-291685/)

JoMar 05-17-2019 11:15 AM

Lowering Water Basins

Saw that a couple execs are closed so the can lower the water basins....anybody understand that?

alwann 05-17-2019 11:44 AM

Lowering basins

I think it means the irrigation system will run constantly. You'd get wet; the course will be muddy. They keep the sprinklers running even during rain storms.

anothersteve 05-17-2019 01:32 PM

"To ensure adequate capacity of the storm water management system throughout the community, the District will be lowering certain water retention areas that are above recommended levels. The water level is being lowered to ensure there is sufficient capacity in the water retention area to capture water run-off from streets, yards and golf courses in preparation of future rain events. To lower the water level in water retention basins, irrigation systems will run along common areas and roadways throughout the community. The water being utilized through the irrigation system is storm-water resulting from rain events. "

Steve

Velvet 05-17-2019 01:36 PM

And at the same time we are being charged for using irrigation water on our lawns?

skip0358 05-17-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1650513)
And at the same time we are being charged for using irrigation water on our lawns?

It's been like that forever!

Bogie Shooter 05-17-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

So?

anothersteve 05-17-2019 03:01 PM

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.
Steve

Marathon Man 05-17-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

There is a cost to provide water to our homes. Electricity. Equipment maintenance. Etc. That's why we are charged.

Velvet 05-17-2019 03:44 PM

I’m just going by what I read on this forum. 1) there is a need to lower the pond levels so that when the rains come they can take the run off so as not to flood our streets 2) this seems to be done by running this irrigation type water to such an extent on the executive golf courses (the ones that are free) so they are too wet to use 3) the people with homes are charged in some of the villages a higher price for their irrigation water than their drinking water at the same time when this irrigation water is so available.
Am I correct so far or have I misunderstood something?

CWGUY 05-17-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1650548)
I’m just going by what I read on this forum. 1) there is a need to lower the pond levels so that when the rains come they can take the run off so as not to flood our streets 2) this seems to be done by running this irrigation type water to such an extent on the executive golf courses (the ones that are free) so they are too wet to use 3) the people with homes are charged in some of the villages a higher price for their irrigation water than their drinking water at the same time when this irrigation water is so available.
Am I correct so far or have I misunderstood something?

:ho: This wheel doesn't need re-inventing. They have been doing this forever. :)

Velvet 05-17-2019 04:32 PM

Yes, I’m new so as I said I’m trying to understand. We have a somewhat similar situation like this up north with food. The large chains throw day old stuff out by the tons as the homeless go hungry. And who benefits with this system, and who pays? The past does not justify the present... if there is a better alternative.

JoMar 05-17-2019 04:47 PM

Thanks to all for the answer.

Velvet 05-17-2019 04:57 PM

Because you guys are so great I’m resisting a smart response. I really do appreciate The Villages first and foremost.

asianthree 05-17-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1650556)
Yes, I’m new so as I said I’m trying to understand. We have a somewhat similar situation like this up north with food. The large chains throw day old stuff out by the tons as the homeless go hungry. And who benefits with this system, and who pays? The past does not justify the present... if there is a better alternative.

Sure if they don’t move the water to common areas, and the golf courses, then it would be in my house. System was designed to stop that issue, even during the hurricane our pond was up more than 10 feet, all trees were lost. But thanks to their system waterways moved to courses instead of invading homes.

Sending thousands of gallons of water to-already soaked yards is the only other place. The only time this system is in place is during heavy rains, and hurricane issues. In normal times the pond is at wading level. I am happy to pay for my water, instead of couple feet of water in my home

Velvet 05-17-2019 05:30 PM

Well, that makes sense.