Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Round-abouts again (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/round-abouts-again-291727/)

refeik 05-18-2019 10:04 AM

Round-abouts again

I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...

MorTech 05-18-2019 10:20 AM

No it won't.

The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.

Polar Bear 05-18-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorTech (Post 1650659)
...The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.

:22yikes:

That's wrong on so many levels I won't even go into specifics.

thomp679 05-18-2019 11:12 AM

Agree...signalling would help. I do it hoping it will catch the attention of the hurried driver who otherwise might cut me off.

Fredster 05-18-2019 11:32 AM

Best advice I ever ran across on TOTV was to never drive through or enter a roundabout next to another vehicle.
I always use turn signals to let other drivers know my intentions!

Topspinmo 05-18-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1650663)
:22yikes:

That's wrong on so many levels I won't even go into specifics.

:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow:

Topspinmo 05-18-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refeik (Post 1650658)
I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...

They think their going straight. There no straight thru roundabout, you must use you’re turn signal when exiting, but also supposed to stop behind stops signs also which happen as about as often as signaling when exiting roundabouts. Good point, but lost cause.

karostay 05-18-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomp679 (Post 1650672)
Agree...signalling would help. I do it hoping it will catch the attention of the hurried driver who otherwise might cut me off.

I signal ever time with my finger...No ones notices.:duck:

Polar Bear 05-18-2019 12:20 PM

Of course signaling is a good thing.

But to be honest, if you obey the two most important rules (imo) of roundabout driving...yield to both lanes of the roundabout before entering and never drive next to another vehicle within the roundabout...potential conflicts have already been minimized even without signaling your exit.

CWGUY 05-18-2019 12:44 PM

:ho: Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf

VApeople 05-18-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refeik (Post 1650658)
Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...

I don't signal because my hands are busy steering my car.

The only time I am in the left lane is when I am going 3/4 of the way around. In that case, my hands are busy steering left around the circle and then I have to steer right to make my exit.

Polar Bear makes a very good point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1650692)
if you obey the two most important rules (imo) of roundabout driving...yield to both lanes of the roundabout before entering and never drive next to another vehicle within the roundabout...potential conflicts have already been minimized even without signaling your exit.

vintageogauge 05-18-2019 04:52 PM

Painting the white lines would be helpful.

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-18-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1650705)
:ho: Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf

Not everyone who drives through roundabouts is a member of this forum, and would even know that rules were available from Sumter County. Not everyone who visits the Villages knows that it's the county that makes the rules of these roads, and not the Villages. Some people might think these are owned by the Villages, not public roads. Especially people who are visiting friends for the first time.

People who've lived here, or driven through here a few times, for awhile, should definitely know better. But you're assuming that everyone who drives through or in knows a) to look for the roundabouts, b) that they exist, c) that the rules for them are available from the county (not the town, not the CDD, not the forum, not The Villages Sales office), and d) that the rules her might be different from the rules for the roundabouts where they're from, and therefore they have any reason to check at all.

Midnight Cowgirl 05-18-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1650764)
Not everyone who drives through roundabouts is a member of this forum, and would even know that rules were available from Sumter County. Not everyone who visits the Villages knows that it's the county that makes the rules of these roads, and not the Villages. Some people might think these are owned by the Villages, not public roads. Especially people who are visiting friends for the first time.

People who've lived here, or driven through here a few times, for awhile, should definitely know better. But you're assuming that everyone who drives through or in knows a) to look for the roundabouts, b) that they exist, c) that the rules for them are available from the county (not the town, not the CDD, not the forum, not The Villages Sales office), and d) that the rules her might be different from the rules for the roundabouts where they're from, and therefore they have any reason to check at all.

Well said!
You are correct on every point that you've made.

refeik 05-18-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorTech (Post 1650659)
No it won't.

The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.

Of course it will improve the flow of traffic.