Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Chula GC tree cutting (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/chula-gc-tree-cutting-291873/)

Yucatan2 05-20-2019 08:15 AM

Chula GC tree cutting

1 Attachment(s)
They are in the process of removing a beautiful live oak on the Chula Vista golf course near the second green. WHY? I love the park like look on this course, and I hope they aren’t planning on removing more trees. :(

stan the man 05-20-2019 09:18 AM

Check to see if they got a permit to remove tree

Midnight Cowgirl 05-20-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yucatan2 (Post 1651108)
They are in the process of removing a beautiful live oak on the Chula Vista golf course near the second green. WHY? I love the park like look on this course, and I hope they aren’t planning on removing more trees. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1651140)
Check to see if they got a permit to remove tree

Yes -- definitely check. Too many people think trees are disposable and they aren't!

Why are they taking out this particular tree?

Bogie Shooter 05-20-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yucatan2 (Post 1651108)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1651269)
Yes -- definitely check. Too many people think trees are disposable and they aren't!

Why are they taking out this particular tree?

If you are so concerned why not call and get the correct information?
Executive Golf Maintenance
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-674-1885
Fax: 352-674-1805

Do you really, really believe the golf course management don’t know what the rules are about removing a tree?

Midnight Cowgirl 05-20-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1651290)
If you are so concerned why not call and get the correct information?
Executive Golf Maintenance
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-674-1885
Fax: 352-674-1805

Do you really, really believe the golf course management don’t know what the rules are about removing a tree?

Often times rules don't matter.

Don't you recall trees being removed on common ground a few years ago?

You know exactly to what I'm referring.
So much for "rules!" :ohdear:

anothersteve 05-20-2019 04:53 PM

Where would the golf course, which is owned by the CCDD, have to get the permit from to cut the tree down?.
Steve

Rapscallion St Croix 05-20-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1651302)
Where would the golf course, which is owned by the CCDD, have to get the permit from to cut the tree down?.
Steve

Lake Miona homeowners?

Yucatan2 05-20-2019 08:56 PM

I’m sure there must have been a reason and the golf course probably got permission. They ground the stump into the ground, almost can’t tell a tree had been there. Still makes me sad because I love the big shade trees. My guess is that many people hit this tree so maybe it opened up the fairway better.

Midnight Cowgirl 05-20-2019 10:22 PM

Permit? Yes or ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yucatan2 (Post 1651371)
I’m sure there must have been a reason and the golf course probably got permission. They ground the stump into the ground, almost can’t tell a tree had been there. Still makes me sad because I love the big shade trees. My guess is that many people hit this tree so maybe it opened up the fairway better.

I did not see this tree either before or after it was taken out.

I would hope there was a good reason for removing it but it's a shame when a viable old tree is removed; that is why I and others were curious as to why it was taken out.

One would assume the county gave permission to cut the tree down but in TV, I have found that you can "assume" nothing.

If the reason for this tree removal was because so many people hit it, logic tells me that all they had to do was improve their game! :a040:

Midnight Cowgirl 05-20-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1651302)
Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1651306)
Lake Miona homeowners?

In addition to the county, perhaps?

graciegirl 05-21-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1651379)
I did not see this tree either before or after it was taken out.

I would hope there was a good reason for removing it but it's a shame when a viable old tree is removed; that is why I and others were curious as to why it was taken out.

One would assume the county gave permission to cut the tree down but in TV, I have found that you can "assume" nothing.

If the reason for this tree removal was because so many people hit it, logic tells me that all they had to do was improve their game! :a040:

Call them and ask them and get back to us. The Villages Executive Golf Trail (Chula Vista Course)

You can call the EPA watchdogs too, the St. John River Authority and the Central FLorida EPA; Central District | Florida Department of Environmental Protection

I really think some trees are lovely and some are a nuisance. Just like people

I see no evidence of widespread tree murder. I think it will all turn out all right.

NotGolfer 05-21-2019 07:18 AM

NOT an arborist...but perhaps the tree or trees are diseased. IF on the golf course I'm sure there's a very good reason for this. I remember back in the day Elm trees were cut down. They were beautiful and offered a wonderful canopy of shade but it was found they had a disease that spread to other trees. I'm guessing whomever is taking care of Chula Vista keeps their eyes on things though these trees aren't the Elms I mentioned.

Carla B 05-21-2019 02:20 PM

There are different rules for different folks. When the trees are on a Championship course, the trees can be cut down at will. Several years ago golf management cut 27 large oaks from a stand of oaks behind our house. I called Todd Basso while the cutting was going on and asked why they were doing it and basically his answer was so the remaining oaks could "flourish." When asked if he had consulted an arborist, the answer was "No."

gatorbill1 05-21-2019 02:58 PM

One less tree for me to hit

New Englander 05-21-2019 04:17 PM

They don't just cut down an oak tree for fun. There has to be a valid reason.