Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Stinky Perfume (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/stinky-perfume-292147/)

Chatbrat 05-24-2019 10:06 AM

Stinky Perfume

this week I was in my dentist's waiting room-an elderly woman sat next to me--her perfume/ make up odor forced me to leave the area--don't use your grand mothers makeup--reminded me when I HAD to ride the subway in NYC, when I commuted to high school

alwann 05-24-2019 10:53 AM

Stinky

I've had similar experiences. Was this an elderly woman? Among the elderly, the sense of smell diminishes. She may not have known how strong the scent was. Likewise with some senior-seniors wearing incontinence garments. Sad, but still "Ugh."

Bjeanj 05-24-2019 11:10 AM

Yeah, I’ve noticed that. I have been told by my ENT doc that people with severe allergies cannot smell subtle odors. That may be part of it too. As a result, I’ve relied on bath soap and deodorant; no perfume anymore, as I’m never sure how much is too much.

big guy 05-24-2019 11:11 AM

She may not have known how strong the cologne was or how old it was. Scents don't get better with age. They putrify.

Velvet 05-24-2019 11:12 AM

That happened to me at the movies in TV, an elderly man... it was so bad my family had to leave. Sometimes on bus tours it can also happen that you are beside someone who really smells and you can’t leave. I was thinking of buying one of those Israeli gas masks with carbon filters to bring... I am serious.

manaboutown 05-24-2019 11:19 AM

Don't sit back in coach on a long international flight if you can't withstand body odor.

Some elderly women don't bathe or shower that often and don't have their clothes washed or cleaned frequently enough. They just pour on more perfume to cover the odors. This can be an especially huge problem in a hot, humid climate, especially if they are very obese and have unwashed folds in their body fat.

Velvet 05-24-2019 11:24 AM

As far as I know, it is not illegal to smell...unfortunately my nose is quite healthy. I used to have a very loving Welsh Terrier and I used to wear Channel perfume. The dog would run up to me and then literally swoon. He couldn’t take it. No more perfume after that.

Rango 05-24-2019 11:58 AM

:popcorn:

Chatbrat 05-24-2019 11:59 AM

People may not want to offend, but knowing how cheap some people are--they skimp on water, they refuse to thrown out ,out of date items--the problem is not the reason, the problem is the aroma-- its a shame awful thing happen to old people, especially those with dimentia related illness

Kenswing 05-24-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1652082)
this week I was in my dentist's waiting room-an elderly woman sat next to me--her perfume/ make up odor forced me to leave the area--don't use your grand mothers makeup--reminded me when I HAD to ride the subway in NYC, when I commuted to high school

One day it's speeding golf carts the next day it's stinky perfume. What's tomorrow's complaint going to be, too many people wearing black socks? lol

Chatbrat 05-24-2019 12:11 PM

Whats wrong with black socks and wing tips, especially @ pool side--great way to pick up women--what a look

Inexes@aol.com 05-24-2019 12:35 PM

By this age we all should have seen the signs often enough..... in doctors office and elsewhere...... Please no perfumes or colognes.!!! There are thousands of people who suffer allergies and the scent of these products causes respiratory problems to those people. Same goes for stores in the area at holiday times, especially Christmas time.....when they decorate. Walgreens always has a very strong scented display thru-out the store. Strong enough that I cannot go there in season without experiencing a problem breathing. I see no reason to insult people over this subject. The OP is just trying to alert people to the problem. There is no need for these noxious odors. Be considerate and think of the people around you. What you think is pleasing could send them to the hospital !!!

Velvet 05-24-2019 12:54 PM

Now that you mention it (not that I would do it ;) ) wearing a strong scent maybe a good way to ward off unwanted attention.... personally, I get a migraine type headache from strong smells of any kind.

Mudder 05-24-2019 01:24 PM

Most classes in TV request that people do not wear heavy scents.....but there are always some who just can't resist. When heavy scents mix with sweat it's pretty ugly. In one class I go to I always have to relocate my place when a late person comes in with perfume on. It is very uncomfortable to some of us who have severe allergies. People who wear perfume to walk in the sports pools are a whole other story! I just don't get it.

anothersteve 05-24-2019 01:29 PM

This thread stinks!
Steve