Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Question Re: One of My Favorite Squares Bands (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/question-re-one-my-favorite-squares-bands-292210/)

Polar Bear 05-25-2019 12:32 PM

Question Re: One of My Favorite Squares Bands

Uncle Bob's Rock Shop.

They were my first favorite band here and I still really like them. But I have to ask if anybody has noticed a change in their sound quality in recent months. First of all, in no way is this intended as an insult to the band. Like I said, I still like them a lot. Just saw them last night at Brownwood. Their musicianship, vocals, and entertainment skills are as solid as ever. I'm just wondering if anybody has noticed a change in sound quality somehow or another?

Volume seems lower than it used to be, but that's not all. There just isn't quite the 'power' in crucial parts of songs. Sitting in front of the bleachers last night, you could barely hear the driving rhythm that is so crucial to many songs.

I know this is rather vague, but if you've been a big fan of UBRS for more than a year or so, I would guess you may have a clue what I'm talking about.

Well, am I the only one?

anothersteve 05-25-2019 01:00 PM

I find the sound quality for pretty much all the bands, at the 2 Squares that I frequent,(never been to BW) leaves something to be desired. I don't let it bother me too much. And I like UBRS also along with American Martian, The Hooligans.....I really like the Steve Hogie Band, they are tight.
Steve

billlaur 05-25-2019 01:32 PM

they r all too LOUD>>>>

Polar Bear 05-25-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1652393)
I find the sound quality for pretty much all the bands, at the 2 Squares that I frequent,(never been to BW) leaves something to be desired. I don't let it bother me too much. And I like UBRS also along with American Martian, The Hooligans.....I really like the Steve Hogie Band, they are tight.
Steve

Ahh. We like many of the same bands. :) And I know sound quality at the squares is limited just due to the environment and various restrictions.

But that’s not really what I’m talking about. UBRS’s sound in general is much different now than it was a year or so ago. Just not generally as ‘strong’ imo.

Down Sized 05-25-2019 02:36 PM

Is this the band that one of the members died in the last few months??

tophcfa 05-25-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1652404)
Ahh. We like many of the same bands. :) And I know sound quality at the squares is limited just due to the environment and various restrictions.

But that’s not really what I’m talking about. UBRS’s sound in general is much different now than it was a year or so ago. Just not generally as ‘strong’ imo.

I like the same bands also. I have also noticed a difference in the sound of Uncle Bob's, as well as Rocky and the Rollers. By far the best band playing in the squares these days is The Hooligans, in my opinion. Many of the other regular bands acts seem to have gotten kind of old and boring, especially Johnny Wild and the Delights (although Johnny sure does have a high opinion of himself).

The one band that no longer seems to be in the regular rotation that I really miss is "He Said, She Said". The "he" in that band, Todd Fulcher, is by far the best musician I have ever watched perform at the squares. In fact, Todd is as good a guitar player as anyone I have ever seen perform anywhere. Too bad they are no longer playing the squares, while Scotter the DJ remains a regular, go figure?

EdFNJ 05-25-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Down Sized (Post 1652412)
Is this the band that one of the members died in the last few months??

No, that was Smokin' Torpedoes IIRC.

EdFNJ 05-25-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billlaur (Post 1652403)
they r all too LOUD>>>>

I don't mind loud but they are now setting sound levels at PAINFUL MODE at LSL. Even sitting across the street at Starbucks it's really loud. Much more so than a few months ago. It's all controlled by the guy in the shack who runs around with the iPad changing levels on the fly. I have a sound level app called Decibel X Pro on my phone which while not a professional meter is allegedly quite accurate and quite often in the square the number reaches and even exceeds 100db which they equate to being in a subway. Sitting at Starbucks it often 85-90db. I guess they figure a lot of us are hard of hearing. Definitely has changed since last fall.