Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Spanish Springs happy hour (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/spanish-springs-happy-hour-292221/)

tophcfa 05-25-2019 03:57 PM

Spanish Springs happy hour

Everyone enjoy the 5-7 happy hour at Spanish Springs for the next few evenings. Starting June 1st happy hour will be cut short at 6:00. First they took away the Spanish Springs farmers market, now they are chopping the happy hour time in half. Bummer : (

anothersteve 05-25-2019 04:20 PM

That sux! Lake Sumter has had a 1 hour Happy Hour for some time.
BYOB
:beer3:

Steve

eweissenbach 05-25-2019 05:31 PM

I am sorry to hear that! I have always assumed that the 2 hour happy hour at SS was to incentivize people to come to that square rather than the two newer ones. I know that has been a factor for us when deciding to go to one of the squares when the entertainment didn't particularly favor one over the other. I am closer to, and prefer Sumter Landing, but the two hour happy hour has often been the difference in deciding to go to SS. Probably will affect the attendance at Spanish Springs, I know it will for me.

justjim 05-25-2019 05:35 PM

Maybe “the numbers” show that they can make more $$$ by cutting back an hour on Happy Time. I would be surprised that it will cut back on the drinking at the Square...

rustyp 05-25-2019 05:41 PM

SS happy hour - Katie Belles - Church On The Square- Deferral Rate - Parades - Golf Course Conditions - Championshipship golf rate/ seasonable schedule change - Closing Country Club Restaurants. You are beginning to get my attention. WWHD (what would Harold do) ?

vintageogauge 05-25-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1652455)
SS happy hour - Katie Belles - Church On The Square- Deferral Rate - Parades - Golf Course Conditions - Championshipship golf rate/ seasonable schedule change - Closing Country Club Restaurants. You are beginning to get my attention. WWHD (what would Harold do) ?

If he finds somewhere better he moves on, otherwise he accepts what is and stays. Life is short, enjoy what we have.

rustyp 05-25-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1652456)
If he finds somewhere better he moves on, otherwise he accepts what is and stays. Life is short, enjoy what we have.

FYI - Harold has moved on

vintageogauge 05-25-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1652460)
FYI - Harold has moved on

So you meant "what would Harold have done" not "what would he do"

anothersteve 05-25-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1652468)

Semantics
Steve

pauld315 05-25-2019 07:43 PM

With all the new villas they built on 42, SS square has become much more crowded than it used to be in the evenings. There is also a considerable amount of people there from surrounding communities. They might actually be trying to lower the attendance at that square. Doesn't matter to me, I can't remember the last time I bought a happy hour drink at any of the squares.

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-25-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1652468)

"What would he do" works fine. "What would he do...if he were alive today?" "Would" in the above sentence is an expression of a conditional mood.

BobnBev 05-25-2019 08:25 PM

Simple solution, drink faster, go to bed earlier.:bigbow:

rustyp 05-26-2019 06:00 AM

WWHD ?
Construction of the square was another matter.

"We couldn't get any banks to finance it. They said, 'What would we do with it if we had to repossess it?' " Morse said of the one-acre park.

In stepped Harold Schwartz, founder of the development, who donated $1 million to build the square.*

*From the Orlando Sentinel many moons ago.

A few of my neighbors were friends with Harold. They have told me stories of how Harold loved music and parties. He built the first town square on the historic side where El Ranchito is today. When Orange Blossom Gardens incorporated into The Villages, building of an Old Fashioned Spanish Town started across Rt 441. An architectural firm from Canada was hired to design the entire town but first the family had to sit down and write a fictitious story of the town's history. The story starts with a town square was built around the fountain of youth discovered by Ponce De Leon. I have a copy of that entire story building by building, family by family that was generated. FYI the names painted on the buildings in SS are from the story.

Also my neighbors have told me of a story when lightning struck the oak tree by the drink shack near the movie theater. Again Harold stepped in and had a mature live oak put in it's place out of his own personnel monies.

My guess is Harold would not be tinkering with the happy hour.

karostay 05-26-2019 06:12 AM

Our side is built out..
Nickle and Dime show starts Guess they need more money for Fenney

dewilson58 05-26-2019 06:47 AM

Wow. Cutting back one hour and the natives are getting restless???

You can throw a rock in any direction and probably find a cheap drink.

:icon_wink: