Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Please, please don't walk your pet in this heat unless (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/please-please-dont-walk-your-pet-heat-unless-292441/)

jebartle 05-28-2019 03:01 PM

Please, please don't walk your pet in this heat unless

:You walk n your own bare feet!!!!!

kaydee 05-28-2019 10:29 PM

I hope every pet owner reads this & follows your advice. Pets need to stay inside after duties have been done in their yards.

Midnight Cowgirl 05-29-2019 12:45 AM

Even in the heat, dogs still need some exercise, be it by taking a walk or going to one of the dog parks to romp.
An owner should be able to tell when their pup has had enough.
Everything in moderation, as they say.

NotGolfer 05-29-2019 06:44 AM

I don't have a pet...therefore don't need to walk one. That said though, I was out yesterday (Tuesday) for appointments and was walking in a parking lot from my car to a building. The heat that was coming up off the pavement almost took my breath away. To think anyone would walk barefoot, much less walk their pet is mind-blowing. The skin would scortch in a very short time. It's not about moderation but common sense.

fw102807 05-29-2019 06:47 AM

Our walks are now early morning and later at night. Our entire neighborhood is shaded by then and the pavement has cooled down.

Taltarzac725 05-29-2019 08:03 AM

Dogs need to stay on the grass as much as possible. Or try one of the various dog parks in the Villages or near it like Doggie Doo Run Run. 10 acres of grass. A mile or going north up CR 101 which is called Belvedere south of CR466. Past Southern Trace Shopping Center.

fw102807 05-29-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1653499)
Dogs need to stay on the grass as much as possible. Or try one of the various dog parks in the Villages or near it like Doggie Doo Run Run. 10 acres of grass. A mile or going north up CR 101 which is called Belvedere south of CR466. Past Southern Trace Shopping Center.

We have a large grassy corner lot so we let him out frequently and he can walk around or run or roll in the grass. His walks are more for socialization as most of our neighbors will greet him with treats.

Taltarzac725 05-29-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1653506)
We have a large grassy corner lot so we let him out frequently and he can walk around or run or roll in the grass. His walks are more for socialization as most of our neighbors will greet him with treats.

That is cool in more ways than one. I stick my hand down and check wherever my pooch might walk. Lots of area have seemed too hot for his paws.

Velvet 05-29-2019 08:50 AM

Not sure if this suggestion would work for you. On hot days I would have booties for my dogs, the Welshie would do the goose step in them til he got used to them. I would used baby sunscreen on exposed parts like the nose and ears. Around the neck and back tie a cold wet cotton scarf this doesn’t help in high humidity. I have also seen people putting the dog in a stroller or baby carrier to take them to a grassy area.

rustyp 05-29-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1653511)
Not sure if this suggestion would work for you. On hot days I would have booties for my dogs, the Welshie would do the goose step in them til he got used to them. I would used baby sunscreen on exposed parts like the nose and ears. Around the neck and back tie a cold wet cotton scarf this doesn’t help in high humidity. I have also seen people putting the dog in a stroller or baby carrier to take them to a grassy area.

How ironic. In the north we would have to brave the north county in winter. Putting on all those annoying winter garments. Walking around like a waddling duck. Getting frost bite on my exposed skin. Driving through the snow covered roads. Being trapped in the house.

What's worse - me having to put boots, scarves, sunscreen on my dog and making sure my baby stroller has had it seasonal maintenance check.

manaboutown 05-29-2019 10:46 AM

Why not ask the developer to build one of these? $16 Million Indoor Dog Park Opens in Austin

fw102807 05-29-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1653531)
Why not ask the developer to build one of these? $16 Million Indoor Dog Park Opens in Austin

Someone would complain about it.

Two Bills 05-29-2019 12:30 PM

It is hard to believe that any responsible owner would contemplate taking a dog walking during the present day time temps.
I often think it is the owners that need the attention, not the poor mutts!

Velvet 05-29-2019 12:37 PM

The expression “go for a walk” often represents the dog has to relieve themselves, besides getting some exercise. Early morning and evening would be better for walks when the temperature is so high. I found having a dog is a bit like having a toddler, they are totally dependent on you for their welfare.

Bosoxfan 05-29-2019 12:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1653506)

We also have a great lot on a cul de sac next to the 6th tee on Longleaf..we're able to throw a frisbee for him and have a blue plastic kiddies pool for Mookie to cool off in.