Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water shut off to irrigation (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-shut-off-irrigation-292462/)

Bay Kid 05-29-2019 06:38 AM

Water shut off to irrigation

Got a call from my neighbor that my lawn was turning brown. My home watch guy went to find out what was going on. I had Mr. Baumgardner inspect the system a month ago, all well. Found out someone had turned off my water? Lucky for good neighbors and my home watch guy!

retiredguy123 05-29-2019 07:08 AM

I would monitor the water usage every month. A neighbor may turn off your irrigation water if there is a broken head, or if the system is operating for an excessive amount of time.

Bay Kid 05-30-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1653482)
I would monitor the water usage every month. A neighbor may turn off your irrigation water if there is a broken head, or if the system is operating for an excessive amount of time.

I spoke with the neighbors on both sides. They saw nothing. Very strange, but I'm sure there is an explanation.

Topspinmo 06-05-2019 04:59 PM

Being you didn’t mention where or how the water was shutoff? Most houses are plumbed where the irrigation is plumbed after the meter and before the house shutoff so most houses the water should of still ran the irrigation. unless the water was shut off at the meter?

Toymeister 06-05-2019 07:07 PM

I recommend a water monitor, this way you will know within one day if the water has been shut off or if there is a leak. Leak detection takes 15 minutes. I know that today I watered exactly 1008.2 gallons for irrigation, for example.

I think neighbors are irreplaceable and home watch is fantastic. Up to the minute, precise monitoring eliminates the human error element. It is light-years ahead of watching your bill.

If you want details I can provide those. The cost was 185.00. I did the install myself no plumbing, it took about 10 minutes. It is cheaper than a new lawn, that is certain!

Bay Kid 06-06-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1655597)
I recommend a water monitor, this way you will know within one day if the water has been shut off or if there is a leak. Leak detection takes 15 minutes. I know that today I watered exactly 1008.2 gallons for irrigation, for example.

I think neighbors are irreplaceable and home watch is fantastic. Up to the minute, precise monitoring eliminates the human error element. It is light-years ahead of watching your bill.

If you want details I can provide those. The cost was 185.00. I did the install myself no plumbing, it took about 10 minutes. It is cheaper than a new lawn, that is certain!

That sounds great. Being away that would be peace of mind.

Packer Fan 06-06-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

I would LOVE the details on that Toymeister

New Englander 06-06-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

You're The Wizard of technology. :bigbow:

lanabanana73 06-06-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

PM'd you.

Toymeister 06-06-2019 01:01 PM

In general there are two ways to measure and control water remotely, one way to control it alone and two to measure it.

I have had PMs on the last so that is what I am addressing.
Either you measure it with utrasound technology or at the meter by detection of movement of the magnet in the meter.

Toymeister 06-06-2019 01:16 PM

Steamlabs uses ultrasound and zip ties on a main pipe. Interior use only. 200.00 on Amazon.

Flume water monitor has been sold by water districts in the arid west to promote conservation. It is also sold directly to consumers. Like Streamlabs it has two parts, a plug in "base" and a battery powered unit that bungee cord straps on the meter in the meter pit by the curb. It doesn't interfere with the meter reads. In fact the meter box isn't opened by the meter readers at all. They use remote sensing technology. Flume is picking up the rotation of the meter as water flows through it. On Amazon for 185.00

Both systems have their advantages. Flume allows you to set a budget and you can see how you are doing against it. Whereas Streamlabs provides a measurement of the gpm, real time. Both provide leak detection. Both work via your home wifi, neither require a subscription.

Bay Kid 06-07-2019 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1655765)
Steamlabs uses ultrasound and zip ties on a main pipe. Interior use only. 200.00 on Amazon.

Flume water monitor has been sold by water districts in the arid west to promote conservation. It is also sold directly to consumers. Like Streamlabs it has two parts, a plug in "base" and a battery powered unit that bungee cord straps on the meter in the meter pit by the curb. It doesn't interfere with the meter reads. In fact the meter box isn't opened by the meter readers at all. They use remote sensing technology. Flume is picking up the rotation of the meter as water flows through it. On Amazon for 185.00

Both systems have their advantages. Flume allows you to set a budget and you can see how you are doing against it. Whereas Streamlabs provides a measurement of the gpm, real time. Both provide leak detection. Both work via your home wifi, neither require a subscription.

Darn wifi is on the seasonal plan. Thank you