Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Black Bear (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/black-bear-292511/)

New Englander 05-30-2019 03:56 PM

Black Bear

I was in the parking lot at the Sanibel postal center and in the middle of the day, I saw a black bear run across Pinellas Place roadway. It was either a bear or the biggest dog I ever seen in my life.

kaseydog 05-30-2019 05:07 PM

bear was spotted today 5/30/19 at about 2pm across the street from charlotte mailboxes

Aloha1 05-30-2019 07:37 PM

And another bear was running thru Pine Ridge today around Noon.

NoMoSno 05-30-2019 07:50 PM

Might have to start trapping and re-locating them, since much of their food sources are being eliminated by TV expansion.

pauld315 05-30-2019 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=NoMoSno;1653917]Might have to start trapping and re-locating them, since much of their food sources are being eliminated by TV expansion.[/QUOTE

Nah...not the way we just throw garbage bags out at the curb.

jebartle 05-30-2019 11:27 PM

Hmmmm, maybe all those tasty snacks we all leave out on our driveway every garbage day might have something to do with it.

Midnight Cowgirl 05-30-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1653948)
Hmmmm, maybe all those tasty snacks we all leave out on our driveway every garbage day might have something to do with it.

Those tasty snacks definitely have something to do with it!
I will never understand why residents put garbage in the trash when a garbage disposal is equipped in every single home in TV.

And I won't mention that these thousands of plastic bags twice a week in the landfill don't disintegrate. NO, I won't mention it!

Let's poison the environment and let it be the next generation's problem. And the next generation, and the next generation, and the . . . . . . .

Down Sized 05-31-2019 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl (Post 1653950)
Those tasty snacks definitely have something to do with it!
I will never understand why residents put garbage in the trash when a garbage disposal is equipped in every single home in TV.

And I won't mention that these thousands of plastic bags twice a week in the landfill don't disintegrate. NO, I won't mention it!

Let's poison the environment and let it be the next generation's problem. And the next generation, and the next generation, and the . . . . . . .

From Bears to Bags!!! :popcorn:

aninjamom 05-31-2019 06:04 AM

Actually, I was surprised at the way TV collects garbage; in many "upscale" communities in FL, you are required to have a specified garbage can in the "community color" that is designed so that a truck can just pick it up and dump it mechanically.
Time for TV to get a little class.
It would also make life a little harder for the critters like rats, coyotes, raccoons, possums and bears to get to the trash. Not to mention the neighbors that let their dogs check out and pee on the bags.

karostay 05-31-2019 08:43 AM

Wife and I were driving golf cart path along 466A noticed maintenance workers looking up at a tree pointing .
Looked up and there was a bear sitting on a branch

billethkid 05-31-2019 09:12 AM

When was the last time anyone saw torn up bags scattered around due to critters?

We have seen alligators, cayotes, possum, rodents, squirrels (in the hundreds), snakes...etc.....

15 years and not a torn bag or trash critter intervention!!!

Yes we have invaded their habitat.....for the past 20+ years and continue to do so.

CWGUY 05-31-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1654015)
When was the last time anyone saw torn up bags scattered around due to critters?

We have seen alligators, cayotes, possum, rodents, squirrels (in the hundreds), snakes...etc.....

15 years and not a torn bag or trash critter intervention!!!

Yes we have invaded their habitat.....for the past 20+ years and continue to do so.

:coolsmiley: Nice to read a post with fact and not a bunch of hyperbole.

I also have been here 15 years and don't recall seeing a garbage bag that had been ripped open by an animal. :)

CWGUY 05-31-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aninjamom (Post 1653965)
Actually, I was surprised at the way TV collects garbage; in many "upscale" communities in FL, you are required to have a specified garbage can in the "community color" that is designed so that a truck can just pick it up and dump it mechanically.
Time for TV to get a little class.
It would also make life a little harder for the critters like rats, coyotes, raccoons, possums and bears to get to the trash. Not to mention the neighbors that let their dogs check out and pee on the bags.

:shrug: Am I missing something? Are you saying that you live in a community that is lacking a little class? :ohdear:

And you consider an "UPSCALE" community one with garbage cans?

I agree on that one! I love the way they look all day and sometimes the next day as well. Especially when laying on there side at the curb. :1rotfl:

redwitch 05-31-2019 11:11 AM

The bear made it across 466A last night and was happily foraging through trash in Hemingway. Sounds like it safely crossed 466A again.

As to critters opening trash, I’ve seen crows pecking holes in trash bags and pulling what they wanted. This has been a common occurrence in our neighborhood the past few years. Just because YOU haven’t seen a critter-torn garbage bag doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen here.

And garbage disposals cannot take care of all food waste, such as coffee grounds, egg shells, corn husks, etc., ad nauseum. Unless you have a compost pile, you’re going to have food waste in your garbage bags. And I won’t comment on the plastic bag practice here. However, you can get around it somewhat by putting recyclables in paper bags and cardboard boxes.

charmed59 05-31-2019 11:29 AM

Our neighborhood also has trouble with the crows pecking through the trash bags. Since the garbage run is later, we tend to put ours out around 9am, after the crows are done foraging.