Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   I'm a convert! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/im-convert-292642/)

coffeebean 06-02-2019 06:38 AM

I'm a convert!

Oh no! Not another love bug thread.........

Love bugs were still out in full force on the Turnpike when we drove to and from Port Canaveral a few days ago. Our car got bombarded with those pesky love bugs again for the second time in the past month. They were only in a small section of the Turnpike but still, they made a huge mess on the car.

I originally used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover to clean our car three weeks ago when we made the same treck to the port. That worked really well but the solution needs at least 30 minutes to sit on the car to work well. Then there is the major rinsing with water to get the Bug and Tar Remover residue off the car.

This time, I listened to several people who swear by dryer sheets. First, I removed the black bugs off the car before using the dryer sheets. I removed the bugs with water on a paper towel. Then I sprayed the car windows and car body with water, wet the dryer sheet and started cleaning. The bug remnants came off so easily, it was like there was nothing there to begin with.

The bug remnants were on the car for five days before I was able to clean it with the dryer sheets. I must admit, at the port when we arrived, we did clean off the actual bugs with water on paper towels but we left the white stuff that leaves those awful smears. (I've read that the white stuff are eggs from the female bugs).

Lastly, I rinsed the car of the dryer sheets residue with water on a towel and the car sparkles. No need to bring it to a car wash.

I'm a convert. Dryer sheets are less expensive to use and don't need to be cleaned out of all the car crevices as the Bug and Tar Remover leaves. Great stuff!

New Englander 06-02-2019 08:04 AM

After reading you post, now I'm a believer. :coolsmiley:

Chi-Town 06-02-2019 08:09 AM

Went to the Villages Car Wash yesterday. The lines wasn't very long but moved very slowly. When asked about it I was told love bug removal was the culprit. Their legacy continues into June.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

vintageogauge 06-02-2019 08:44 AM

Drove to Disney Tuesday and back Friday, only a few bugs.

Topspinmo 06-02-2019 09:00 AM

I just use car soap and hot water as soon as I get home. Don’t let the little bugger’s to get fried on. I tried used dryer sheets? I think they don’t work unless there new?

Bjeanj 06-02-2019 09:17 AM

It’s funny where they are/aren’t. We drove to Indianapolis Tuesday, and when we arrived, we didn’t have even one crushed on our car.

JoMar 06-02-2019 11:29 AM

Almost like the snowbirds, they just disappear and we look around and think, where did they go. Then starting in fall they come back. It's amazing how one day the love bugs are here and the next they are gone.

Barefoot 06-02-2019 12:16 PM

---

BobnBev 06-02-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1654604)
It’s funny where they are/aren’t. We drove to Indianapolis Tuesday, and when we arrived, we didn’t have even one crushed on our car.

How long a drive is it to 'naptown?

DougB 06-02-2019 02:58 PM

Drove from Port Canaveral today, no love bugs.

philnpat 06-03-2019 12:16 PM

Used dryer sheets work just as good as new sheets. My wife keeps used ones for me in a bag next to the dryer. Hydrate the little buggers first...the wetter the better.

coffeebean 06-03-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1654603)
I just use car soap and hot water as soon as I get home. Don’t let the little bugger’s to get fried on. I tried used dryer sheets? I think they don’t work unless there new?

I noticed when using NEW dryer sheets (WET with water), there is a white pasty sort of goo that comes out of them immediately. I think it is this stuff that melts the bug residue. This is why the car needs to be rinsed with clear water afterward. What ever is in those dryer sheets, it surely does work!!!

coffeebean 06-03-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1654634)
Almost like the snowbirds, they just disappear and we look around and think, where did they go. Then starting in fall they come back. It's amazing how one day the love bugs are here and the next they are gone.

AT least the Love Bugs weren't swarming the port like they were 3 weeks ago. The absolute mess the ship crew had to clean over night was tremendous. This time......nothing on the ship.

coffeebean 06-03-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 1654682)
Drove from Port Canaveral today, no love bugs.

:MOJE_whot::clap2: