Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Exiting Gate (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/exiting-gate-292753/)

PhilipB 06-03-2019 07:13 PM

Exiting Gate

When leaving a village gate, is it considered rude to tailgate through, up close to the car ahead? Or do you keep your distance and wait for the bar to go down and up?

ColdNoMore 06-03-2019 07:46 PM

Go ahead and tailgate without worry, staying inches off of the bumper in front of you...as they're 'breakaway' gate arms.

With cameras.

:popcorn:

Fredman 06-03-2019 07:56 PM

Not rude just not wise when the arm comes down and marks up your car

Bjeanj 06-03-2019 08:01 PM

So long as you want to pay a couple hundred dollars to pay for a replacement arm. It’s not an issue of manners. Rather it’s an issue of the proper procedure. There are cameras to ascertain who broke the arm of a gate.

New Englander 06-03-2019 08:05 PM

I've had it done to me and I consider it rude.

Bigben007 06-03-2019 08:08 PM

Yesterday i came through the Pinellas gate (Winn Dixie side) a golf cart was in front of me going through the gate, I was schocked, the automobile behind me, passed me up and went throught the gate with the golf cart in front of me. You never know what you are going to see.

EdFNJ 06-03-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipB (Post 1655050)
When leaving a village gate, is it considered rude to tailgate through, up close to the car ahead? Or do you keep your distance and wait for the bar to go down and up?

Seriously? I'm not sure about "rude" but certainly stupid and dangerous.

Ooper 06-03-2019 10:18 PM

The exit gates stay up a lot longer than the entrance gates. Plus, the sensors that open the exit gates are located further back to make sure the gate opens so you don't have to come to a complete stop as you do going in the entrance gate. Even if they start coming down before you reach the gate, unless you are going way too fast, they should open up by the time you reach them. I'm talking about EXIT gates, not entrance gates. Tailgating through entrance gates is extremely rude and dangerous, IMHO.

billlaur 06-04-2019 05:21 AM

no problem plenty of time to go thru...:coolsmiley:

TheWarriors 06-04-2019 06:45 AM

You can even have fun with it, if you have a tailgater following you put your brakes on as you exit the gate and watch as they Sh#$ their shorts ;)

DonH57 06-04-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarriors (Post 1655109)
You can even have fun with it, if you have a tailgater following you put your brakes on as you exit the gate and watch as they Sh#$ their shorts ;)

You'd think that would break their habit of tailgating but some don't get it. It's best to act as though they are not there but they desire the attention they bring to themselves.

Two Bills 06-04-2019 08:10 AM

When exiting, as long as the car behind has broken the beam, the arm will stay up. Can't see anything rude in that at all.
Entering is a whole different ball game.

coffeebean 06-04-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooper (Post 1655082)
The exit gates stay up a lot longer than the entrance gates. Plus, the sensors that open the exit gates are located further back to make sure the gate opens so you don't have to come to a complete stop as you do going in the entrance gate. Even if they start coming down before you reach the gate, unless you are going way too fast, they should open up by the time you reach them. I'm talking about EXIT gates, not entrance gates. Tailgating through entrance gates is extremely rude and dangerous, IMHO.

I don't think it is even possible to tailgate through an entrance gate. Those gates come down very quickly.

Now for the exit gates......I've counted as many as 8 (yes eight) cars exit through a gate with the gate remaining up the entire time. The timing of an exit gate is not like the entrance gates. People caravan through the exits all the time. Take a look and see for yourself.

retiredguy123 06-04-2019 02:16 PM

I always wait for the gate to start to come down, then approach, and it will reverse direction.

dewilson58 06-04-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1655202)
I don't think it is even possible to tailgate through an entrance gate. Those gates come down very quickly.

Now for the exit gates......I've counted as many as 8 (yes eight) cars exit through a gate with the gate remaining up the entire time. The timing of an exit gate is not like the entrance gates. People caravan through the exits all the time. Take a look and see for yourself.

Yes, the exit gates are activated by an electric eye........about 10 feet prior to the gate.