Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Which king mattress should I buy? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/king-mattress-should-i-buy-292818/)

Debfrommaine 06-04-2019 05:32 PM

Which king mattress should I buy?

Buying a mattress is overwhelming! Any particular store you recommend, or did you buy online? Which is your favorite brand?

Thanks for any feedback.

luperona9 06-04-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debfrommaine (Post 1655297)
Buying a mattress is overwhelming! Any particular store you recommend, or did you buy online? Which is your favorite brand?

Thanks for any feedback.

Have bought memory foam king from both Amazon and Walmart. Have a nice topper also.

Comfortable and bedbugs dont like them.

Also have option of getting a high 18" frame to allow for under bed storage.

retiredguy123 06-04-2019 05:43 PM

Consumer Reports has been rating the Casper mattress as better than Tempurpedic, even though the cost is only about a third as much. I am very tempted to order one, but my common sense about cost and value has prevented me from believing the reviews. Is the Casper mattress really better than Tempurpedic?

manaboutown 06-04-2019 05:53 PM

A year ago I bought a Charles P. Rogers mattress and am really pleased with it. Charles P. Rogers Powercore Estate 5000 mattress - Consumer Reports

I also have a three year old Hotel Collection King from Macy's which I like but I prefer the Rogers mattress. Mine are Eastern Kings. I don't know if Rogers makes a California King if that is your preference. I like the slightly wider bed and don't need the little extra length.

Your mattress choice will depend on your weight and in what position you sleep. I am 6'2", weigh 220 and sleep on my back. Some mattresses do not accommodate well a person weighing over 200 or a side sleeper. My girlfriend, 5'9' and 125, finds the Rogers a little firm, and prefers the Macy's mattress. My back is good with the Rogers and OK with the Macy's. When a mattress starts to sag my back lets me know it is time for a new one.

Nucky 06-04-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1655306)
Consumer Reports has been rating the Casper mattress as better than Tempurpedic, even though the cost is only about a third as much. I am very tempted to order one, but my common sense about cost and value has prevented me from believing the reviews. Is the Casper mattress really better than Tempurpedic?

I signed up for Consumer Report for their online service. After shopping & trying just about everything in the stores we settled on a Tuft & Needle Queen Size Mint, the thicker of the two they offer. Our Kids swear by that brand. It was not rated the best. I am concerned.

We had a Tempurpedic for 18 years and could probably stretch a couple of years out of it but Hey, we're down here to live well, right? The good thing is if the Tuft Mattress doesn't work out we still have the Old baby as a standby. I think it was a little over $900.

I had the same thoughts you did. You get what you pay for but my kids convinced me. We shall see! Standby for further developments.

Blessed2BNTV 06-04-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1655309)
I signed up for Consumer Report for their online service. After shopping & trying just about everything in the stores we settled on a Tuft & Needle Queen Size Mint, the thicker of the two they offer. Our Kids swear by that brand. I was not rated the best. I am concerned.

We had a Tempurpedic for 18 years and could probably stretch a couple of years out of it but Hey, we're down here to live well, right? The good thing is if the Tuft Mattress doesn't work out we still have the Old baby as a standby. I think it was a little over $900.

I had the same thoughts you did. You get what you pay for but my kids convinced me. We shall see! Standby for further developments.

y

Nicky,

Please keep us posted.

Last year we bought a $3000 mattress from Mattress Firm and exchanged it for another one,,,I think it’s Sealy...hate it. They have 120 day guarantee.

We are looking to replace it but don’t what to buy.

We will be watching this thread closely so keep the reviews coming!

dbcolli 06-04-2019 06:55 PM

I just bought the Winkbed bed in a box about three weeks ago. I researched for days on the on line reviews that can drive you crazy.
We purchased the Cal King luxury firm model and figured we have 120 days to try it or they will pick it up and refund us.
Looks kike it is not going back, it is a keeper.

WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress - The Best Bed for Better Sleep.

Debfrommaine 06-04-2019 06:56 PM

Someone told me that the Marriott mattress is good.

xkeowner 06-04-2019 06:56 PM

Relax in Comfort

We hated our memory foam king size mattress and after talking with friends and shopping around bought a new king size bed/base from Relax in Comfort in Lake Sumter Landing. We paid almost twice as much as I paid for a brand new Mercury Cougar in 1971 but could not be happier! With our old mattress I found myself dozing off most afternoons for 30+ minutes. This has not happened once in the month since we bought the new set. We are sleeping so much better!

Their custom sheets are expensive but after we donated all of our conventional sheets to charity friends informed us they were using conventional sheets without a problem.

Good luck!

Debfrommaine 06-04-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbcolli (Post 1655321)
I just bought the Winkbed bed in a box about three weeks ago. I researched for days on the on line reviews that can drive you crazy.
We purchased the Cal King luxury firm model and figured we have 120 days to try it or they will pick it up and refund us.
Looks kike it is not going back, it is a keeper.

WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress - The Best Bed for Better Sleep.

Did you get the plush, medium or firm? Apologies, I see firm in your post.

tophcfa 06-04-2019 07:19 PM

nothing beats a good quality 100% natural latex mattress. We love ours so much we have the exact same one at both our Villages home and our home up North.

Dan9871 06-04-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

We've had a Tempurpedic for years and It's the best mattress we've ever had. But a mattress is a personal choice. Most any place that sells them will let you try them for a while.

When I've used Consumer Reports in the past, I've found I had to look closely at how they have made the comparisons and the details they have rated. I've feel Consumer Reports a useful guide but I'd never buy something based solely on a CR rating and the item with the top overall score wasn't always what I purchased.

Since Casper is less expensive than Temperpedic (everything is cheaper than Tempurpedic :-) ), try it first and if you don't like then return it and try the Tempurpedic.

EdFNJ 06-04-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

We got a Casper 6 months ago and LOVE it. If you don't like it you can return it within 100 days. I had a Tempurpedic and hated it because when you sleep on it you sink into a "hole" and I found it difficult to get out. :D There are other differences but they are NSFW. ;)

KSSunshine 06-04-2019 09:04 PM

The choices for mattresses are overwhelming! We just purchased (hasn't been delivered yet) a Tempur-pedic Split King with adjustable frame so we can each have our own level of firmness or softness with head/feet elevation. (He likes firm, I like soft). There is a 120 day guarantee; however, that means we can exchange it for another Tempur-pedic, not a refund.

dbcolli 06-04-2019 09:22 PM

I bought the luxury firm model as it is their most popular