Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf Cart hit and Run (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-hit-run-292858/)

Jaked 06-05-2019 10:17 AM

Golf Cart hit and Run

Please watch for a purple 2 seater golf cart with damage to the front end. On Tuesday, June 4 at 9:50 am I was driving north on Morse Blvd in the turning lane towards 441 when a purple golf cart with a woman driver ran into the driver side of my car, a gold chevy equinox. She backed up, drove around the back of my car and drove away before I had time to get out of my car. If you see a purple cart with front end damage, please pm me or call the Sumter County Sheriff department.

I know it shouldn’t surprise me, but I can’t believe people don’t take responsibility for their actions.

Rapscallion St Croix 06-05-2019 10:34 AM

She was probably fleeing a certain DUI

Chatbrat 06-05-2019 11:12 AM

Time, for some kind of ID on golf carts

kathyspear 06-05-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1655483)

This will probably make me very unpopular, but I really believe that carts should all be licensed and that anyone driving one anyplace other than on his or her own private property should be required to have a drivers license. The idea that young teenagers and seniors who have had to give up their licenses due to poor vision or physical condition can drive golf carts is ridiculous. It is a miracle that more people are not injured in cart accidents.

kathy

DAVES 06-05-2019 11:39 AM

Suggestion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaked (Post 1655464)
Please watch for a purple 2 seater golf cart with damage to the front end. On Tuesday, June 4 at 9:50 am I was driving north on Morse Blvd in the turning lane towards 441 when a purple golf cart with a woman driver ran into the driver side of my car, a gold chevy equinox. She backed up, drove around the back of my car and drove away before I had time to get out of my car. If you see a purple cart with front end damage, please pm me or call the Sumter County Sheriff department.

I know it shouldn’t surprise me, but I can’t believe people don’t take responsibility for their actions.

I would call your insurance company. You do not state the damage to your car. I'm sure you will get all kinds of conflicting advice re: laws etc. My opinion and life experience. Fair, right, wrong, morals legal and who has money are too often in conflict.

DAVES 06-05-2019 11:53 AM

You are not alone

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1655484)
This will probably make me very unpopular, but I really believe that carts should all be licensed and that anyone driving one anyplace other than on his or her own private property should be required to have a drivers license. The idea that young teenagers and seniors who have had to give up their licenses due to poor vision or physical condition can drive golf carts is ridiculous. It is a miracle that more people are not injured in cart accidents.

kathy

Seems in the op the golf cart was purple. Imagine if it was a red Yamaha. A report-I was hit by a red Yamaha. At minimal cost, they should all have a number on them. Surely, some will object. A nominal fee could be charged to cover the cost of the uniform stickers that would prevent duplicate issued numbers, fake numbers etc. Wheel locks and fines would force compliance.

Cart accidents? My view is even the term accident is false.
Most, "accidents," are avoidable.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-05-2019 12:02 PM

Having the individual licensed isn't helpful, because so many people let their guests use the carts, and why would an out-of-state visitor only there for a couple of days, make an effort to own up to responsibility when they caused it in the first place?

Attach ownership of the cart to ownership of the property. Make it part of a universal deed compliance regulation. It can be identified by color on the bumper with some kind of prominent sticker, to direct observers/witnesses/victims to district, or village, or region. Make it easy to narrow it down, if not flat-out identify it fully.

patfla06 06-05-2019 12:11 PM

//////

BobnBev 06-05-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

kathy

I'm with you, Kathy, 100%. It's long, long overdue.

Carla B 06-05-2019 03:50 PM

We saw an "accident" aka "big mistake" happen a few weeks ago on Bonita in front of the Largo District Office. A man in a golf cart suddenly decided to make a U-turn and collided with a moving car. He had two passengers with him. For some reason they remained in the cart. The impact knocked him into the street and tore one of the wheels off the cart.

papasetti82 06-05-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

kathy

You too will be old someday if you live long enough.

Topspinmo 06-05-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1655483)

Why, if they drive off where you can’t see what good will that do. Just cause you don’t own cart don’t mean the rest of us want added cost or red tape

Topspinmo 06-05-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

kathy

got news for you, just cause you have driver’s license don’t mean you can drive regardless of what age

Topspinmo 06-05-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1655552)
We saw an "accident" aka "big mistake" happen a few weeks ago on Bonita in front of the Largo District Office. A man in a golf cart suddenly decided to make a U-turn and collided with a moving car. He had two passengers with him. For some reason they remained in the cart. The impact knocked him into the street and tore one of the wheels off the cart.

And? Accident’s are direct results of bad driving, stupid drivers. That’s NOT going way any time soon.

kathyspear 06-05-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papasetti82 (Post 1655558)
You too will be old someday if you live long enough.

... and if I have my license taken away because I can't see I shouldn't be driving a golf cart.

k.