Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Post Office how to talk to postal services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/post-office-how-talk-postal-services-292980/)

Velvet 06-07-2019 11:10 AM

Post Office how to talk to postal services

Since I closed my house in Mallory Square some important mail is being sent to my address there. I will not be in TV for a few months and I tried to call the post office to ask what to do. The contact for Mallory Square post office on the web site redirected me to TV sales center. The lady at the sales center told me there is no phone at Mallory Square post office but that Lady Lake Post office handles all the mail. Then she said they have a phone number but they will not pick up, which it true as when I dialed I got a busy signal constantly. She suggested I go in person (from several thousand miles away). There must be another solution.
How does the postal service (which I assume is a government service) work in TV, or the county. How do I talk to someone?

dnobles 06-07-2019 11:20 AM

Call the USPO and complain, believe me they’ll call you back

retiredguy123 06-07-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1655969)
Since I closed my house in Mallory Square some important mail is being sent to my address there. I will not be in TV for a few months and I tried to call the post office to ask what to do. The contact for Mallory Square post office on the web site redirected me to TV sales center. The lady at the sales center told me there is no phone at Mallory Square post office but that Lady Lake Post office handles all the mail. Then she said they have a phone number but they will not pick up, which it true as when I dialed I got a busy signal constantly. She suggested I go in person (from several thousand miles away). There must be another solution.
How does the postal service (which I assume is a government service) work in TV, or the county. How do I talk to someone?

Why not get your real estate agent or someone you know to visit the local Mallory mail pick up station and fill out a mail hold card? I think they will hold your mail at the station for a period of time, or put it in one of the large mailboxes there.

rjm1cc 06-07-2019 11:24 AM

I can change my mail deliver options on line. Go to the post office site and see if you can.
You can also use a paper form to change addresses.
Start your research here Official USPS Change of Address Form

Dan9871 06-07-2019 11:31 AM

Did you try (800-275-8777)? I think that is a national phone number for USPS. It might take a while to get them to drill down to the local post office but that may be your best bet. You could also just go to any USPS post office and see if they can help.

I'm sure there is a way to get your mail forwarded with a phone call but it may be complicated as USPS won't have an easy way to know who is asking them to forward your mail.

Contact Us | USPS

dewilson58 06-07-2019 11:43 AM

AM I missing something............Why not go online and forward your mail??

Number 10 GI 06-07-2019 11:44 AM

Use the link Dan9871 provided, click Track and Manage, then click Forwarding Mail. You can have mail temporarily forwarded for 6 months and you can at the end of the initial 6 months, extend for another 6 months. Nothing complicated, so easy a caveman can do it.

njbchbum 06-07-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1655979)
I can change my mail deliver options on line. Go to the post office site and see if you can.
You can also use a paper form to change addresses.
Start your research here Official USPS Change of Address Form

Be advised that processing a temporary mail forwarding request will require payment of $1 paid by credit card as confirmation that it is really you making the request. It does take a couple of days to process before actually taking effect.

Dan9871 06-07-2019 12:06 PM

Please let us know what works. I think the position you are in is a bit different than most of us when we hold or forward USPS mail.

If the address for your credit card is not your Mallory Square address, I don't see how the USPS can honor your request. The trick here is that USPS has to authenticate somehow that you are the person that lives in the house at the Mallory Square address.

I think the same will be true if you want the mail forwarded.

retiredguy123 06-07-2019 12:48 PM

I think if you have someone fill out a yellow card at the local mailbox pick up station, the delivery people will keep your mail there for up to 30 days.

Velvet 06-07-2019 01:03 PM

Thank you for these suggestions. I’m going to try as many of them as I can. And let you know later what happened.

asianthree 06-07-2019 01:29 PM

Go usps. You have 3 options.
1. Hold mail for 30 days, then delivery to that address or pick up.
2. They will forward mail once a week in a envelope for $14.00 week
3. Or for $1.06 will forward each piece as it comes in. ( if it’s important mail this is not one I trust.

You can change dates, on any of the three at any time. If you have informed mail you know what’s being delivered.
We hold our mail, have it delivered to our box, text home watch and they pick up for us.

Did you call who is sending you The mail and just change the address. We do that all the time

Velvet 06-07-2019 01:48 PM

I like what you do, Asianthree, I would like to do that too in the long run. I have Empty Nest looking after the home. I guess I could send them a post box key if they would pick up the mail for me. How long do they let you have mail in your box at the local post office?

asianthree 06-07-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1656032)
I like what you do, Asianthree, I would like to do that too in the long run. I have Empty Nest looking after the home. I guess I could send them a post box key if they would pick up the mail for me. How long do they let you have mail in your box at the local post office?

We give a date to delivery to our postal station. We text home watch what day all will arrive they pick up next day. We always leave a key for box, at our house. If there is something important I have priority mail envelopes already addressed and cash for each envelope for priority fee,and cost of them to take to post

Velvet 06-07-2019 04:33 PM

Very helpful information and appreciated. I have called USPS post master and I was told that I will be called back with specific instructions.