Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Road noise (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/road-noise-293290/)

hifred123 06-11-2019 07:17 PM

Road noise

Hi,

Some houses are closer to busier roads than others. Has anyone ever installed a water feature (water fall or water fountain etc.) on their property to help mask noise? How successful has it been? Maybe a water feature isn't the best solution for this situation. Are there any alternatives that are better? Thanks.

Loren

kcrazorbackfan 06-11-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifred123 (Post 1657112)
Hi,

Some houses are closer to busier roads than others. Has anyone ever installed a water feature (water fall or water fountain etc.) on their property to help mask noise? How successful has it been? Maybe a water feature isn't the best solution for this situation. Are there any alternatives that are better? Thanks.

Loren

We back up to a really busy road (four years now) and never noticed the noise after a couple of weeks.

JoMar 06-11-2019 09:09 PM

We also back up to a busy road.....and don't hear it inside. Also, traffic really stops around 9.

HoosierPa 06-12-2019 12:03 AM

We installed a pond with water feature when we backed up to a road many years ago. It helped a great deal. In fact I think it sold the house when the time came and without I think we would have gotten less money.

Midnight Cowgirl 06-12-2019 01:03 AM

Many years ago I lived right on the East River in Manhattan.
I don't think there is anything much louder than the sound of a tug boat's foghorn over water.
Somehow, it didn't take that long to get used to it and subsequently, it seemed almost non-existent; I really didn't hear it.

Try to not dwell on the sound. Turn on your TV. Play the music you enjoy.
The only time an outdoor water feature would work is when your door is open or you are sitting on your lanai.

karostay 06-12-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifred123 (Post 1657112)
Hi,

Loren

I would much rather back up to a noisy road.
Than someones Lanai that has annoying neighbors, barking dogs ,loud Tv radios or smokers
In some instances all mentioned above

dewilson58 06-12-2019 08:31 AM

Glad to see a number of Posters able to adapt. I'm losing a good neighbor since they back up to Pinellas Place.

(maybe it's me).

mills3186 06-12-2019 08:43 AM

We back up to a postal station and the pool. The pool is not bad but the postal traffic is awful! People pull up with their radio's blaring, dogs yipping like crazy because they don't want to be left alone or at other dogs, subsequent yelling at said dogs not to fight or quit barking, loud phone conversations. And then there's the guy I wish would get his muffler fixed. We can't hear the TV on the lanai sometimes. We wondered about a not too noisy water feature too.

manaboutown 06-12-2019 08:51 AM

I have lived in many different homes with all sorts of noises, traffic, near the flight paths of both civilian and military jet aircraft, motor boats, fog horns and so on. The only house where the noise ever seriously bothered me was when I lived near an in-ground concrete water tank across the street. The city put a tennis court on top of it. Now I am an early riser but the intermittent pocks of tennis balls on racket strings awakening me at 5:30 a.m. during the summer months was just too much so I moved. I imagine living too close to a pickle ball court would be even worse.

patfla06 06-12-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1657221)
I have lived in many different homes with all sorts of noises, traffic, near the flight paths of both civilian and military jet aircraft, motor boats, fog horns and so on. The only house where the noise ever seriously bothered me was when I lived near an in-ground concrete water tank across the street. The city put a tennis court on top of it. Now I am an early riser but the intermittent pocks of tennis balls on racket strings awakening me at 5:30 a.m. during the summer months was just too much so I moved. I imagine living too close to a pickle ball court would be even worse.

I totally agree with you.
The pinging sound of pickle ball would drive me nuts.

Retiring 06-12-2019 08:05 PM

Before installing a water feature please ask your neighbor if they are ok with the noise. I would LOVE a water feature but when I asked my neighbors, one said he would rather I didn’t, so I didn’t. Don’t impose the noise of a wf on your neighbor without getting their “permission.” It’s just the right thing to do.

retiredguy123 06-12-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retiring (Post 1657338)
Before installing a water feature please ask your neighbor if they are ok with the noise. I would LOVE a water feature but when I asked my neighbors, one said he would rather I didn’t, so I didn’t. Don’t impose the noise of a wf on your neighbor without getting their “permission.” It’s just the right thing to do.

I agree. This also applies to wind chimes and other noise making devices that will create noise on your neighbor's property.

dewilson58 06-13-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retiring (Post 1657338)

very nice, but not required if within restrictions

vintageogauge 06-13-2019 07:41 AM

Wind chimes are the worst possible thing to have next to your home. We rented a home in 2007 and the neighbor had at least a dozen of them right outside the master bedroom. The first night there, the 2007 tornado came through and all of the chimes were gone in the morning, they did not replace them during the 2 months we were there and I thank God for that as well as making it through the tornado without harm, we were on Golden Ridge and it took quite a hit.

New Englander 06-13-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1657394)
Wind chimes are the worst possible thing to have next to your home. We rented a home in 2007 and the neighbor had at least a dozen of them right outside the master bedroom. The first night there, the 2007 tornado came through and all of the chimes were gone in the morning, they did not replace them during the 2 months we were there and I thank God for that as well as making it through the tornado without harm, we were on Golden Ridge and it took quite a hit.

I'm with you. I can't stand those wind chimes.