Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Robostupid (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/robostupid-293297/)

alwann 06-12-2019 08:16 AM

Robostupid

The FCC says to the telephone companies, "Do something about these robocalls." Phone companies say they will. It's getting worse. Now I am getting robocalls with a caller ID saying it's me calling me. Three of those so far this morning alone. The robo-techs must be stupid to think I wouldn't recognize a call to me from me as something bogus. Thanks phone companies. You're doing a superb job. Perhaps a price increase to reward yourselves, huh?:loco:

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-12-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1657203)
The FCC says to the telephone companies, "Do something about these robocalls." Phone companies say they will. It's getting worse. Now I am getting robocalls with a caller ID saying it's me calling me. Three of those so far this morning alone. The robo-techs must be stupid to think I wouldn't recognize a call to me from me as something bogus. Thanks phone companies. You're doing a superb job. Perhaps a price increase to reward yourselves, huh?:loco:

So what exactly do you think the phone companies can DO about it? They have no control over the devices that I have in my house. They have no control over the computer programs I create. They have no control over the wires I attach to my phone system. They have no control over the signals I send from my programmed wired devices attached to my telephone that I bought at Best Buy and plugged into the wall jack of the home I own.

There is very little the phone company can DO about this, other than to partner with other companies that exist to monitor every signal that comes to your phone, and block those that they already know are invalid or troublesome.

The scammers and fraudsters will always be one step ahead of the game. As soon as the monitoring company catches Fraudster Joe, Scammer Sue and Hoaxer Harry will be along with five more ways to get around the block.

Cedwards38 06-12-2019 08:42 AM

Ditch, or turn off the land line. Use only a cellphone. Then purchase an inexpensive app called RoboKiller for your cell. Problem solved for me. You're welcome!

Toymeister 06-12-2019 08:57 AM

Switch to Google cell service. With Google Phi I received exactly two robocalls over the past 30 days.

So to me, my cell phone company is doing a fantastic job of catching robo calls.

alwann 06-12-2019 09:46 AM

Combating Spoofed Robocalls with Caller ID Authentication | Federal Communications Commission

Read what the FCC is asking the phone companies to do. So far, promises, promises from the phone companies. I agree, the scammers likely will always be a step ahead. Incidentally, I don't have a land-line, I have VoIP, and that in itself is a problem. Since so many data bases get hacked, it's easy to get names and numbers of telephone subscribers, including mobile numbers. I get daily robocalls on my mobile phones as well.

Kahuna32162 06-12-2019 09:48 AM

I'm starting to get them in Chinese!

valuemkt 06-12-2019 02:07 PM

The only good use of a landline is to put that number as a contact number for any paperwork u fill out .. All those companies that claim not to sell your number are full of it .. Then never answer your landline .. its a cheap $10 / month screening tool.

Regarding the robokill and various software, that's a scam unto itself .. I found no decrease in BS calls whatsoever.. and blocking those numbers does no good since their automation just goes to the next random number.

bob47 06-12-2019 04:34 PM

By many accounts, Nomorobo is fairly effective in blocking these calls. The trouble is, CenturyLink land line service is not compatible.

CenturyLink is certainly not doing all they can to stop these calls.

JoMar 06-12-2019 04:51 PM

NoMoRobo really does work well....we have Spectrum and are pleasantly surprised at it'a accuracy. Have Verizon for our cell and get very few Robo calls. Caller ID on everything and don't answer unless we recognize the name and number we don't answer.....assume that if it was legit they will leave a message.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-12-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1657232)
Combating Spoofed Robocalls with Caller ID Authentication | Federal Communications Commission

Read what the FCC is asking the phone companies to do. So far, promises, promises from the phone companies. I agree, the scammers likely will always be a step ahead. Incidentally, I don't have a land-line, I have VoIP, and that in itself is a problem. Since so many data bases get hacked, it's easy to get names and numbers of telephone subscribers, including mobile numbers. I get daily robocalls on my mobile phones as well.

They don't *need* names and numbers of subscribers. Computer programs will auto-dial - for example:

352-372-0000
352-372-0001
352-372-0002
and so on, until someone picks up. As soon as they do, they have confirmed that it's a "live" phone number and it goes on the list of live numbers. Meanwhile, the customer who picks up gets the robocall.

It continues through every possible variation of the area code and phone number exchange. This happens incredibly fast; a single computer program can instruct a 20-line phone system to dial out over 20,000 phone numbers in an hour.

NotGolfer 06-12-2019 05:44 PM

Not to hi-jack this BUT there's also a computer phising scam that we got this morning using an e-mail "almost" the same as someone in our address book. It sounded weird though as they were asking us to get a gift card (one we'd never heard of too) for larger denominations---ie. $50.00, $100.00 and send them to a sick friend in a hospital so he could purchase ???? THEN the e-mail sender would re-imburse us. Yeah, right!! We 1st said why wouldn't he buy his own instead of asking friends to do it? Well in re-reading and thinking about it---it just wasn't something we thought was valid. So we changed our password and forgot about it. ROBO-calls are aggravating for sure. We just don't pick up unless for sure we know whose calling. I too got a call from me using our phone number. That's truly weird when it happens!!

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-12-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1657315)
Not to hi-jack this BUT there's also a computer phising scam that we got this morning using an e-mail "almost" the same as someone in our address book. It sounded weird though as they were asking us to get a gift card (one we'd never heard of too) for larger denominations---ie. $50.00, $100.00 and send them to a sick friend in a hospital so he could purchase ???? THEN the e-mail sender would re-imburse us. Yeah, right!! We 1st said why wouldn't he buy his own instead of asking friends to do it? Well in re-reading and thinking about it---it just wasn't something we thought was valid. So we changed our password and forgot about it. ROBO-calls are aggravating for sure. We just don't pick up unless for sure we know whose calling. I too got a call from me using our phone number. That's truly weird when it happens!!

The spoofing is done to get you tempted to pick up to find out who's spoofing you. To the surprise of no one, ever, some people actually get suckered into it.

Bay Kid 06-13-2019 05:48 AM

I am lucky. I registered my phone on the government no call list....

Topspinmo 06-13-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1657208)
So what exactly do you think the phone companies can DO about it? They have no control over the devices that I have in my house. They have no control over the computer programs I create. They have no control over the wires I attach to my phone system. They have no control over the signals I send from my programmed wired devices attached to my telephone that I bought at Best Buy and plugged into the wall jack of the home I own.

There is very little the phone company can DO about this, other than to partner with other companies that exist to monitor every signal that comes to your phone, and block those that they already know are invalid or troublesome.

The scammers and fraudsters will always be one step ahead of the game. As soon as the monitoring company catches Fraudster Joe, Scammer Sue and Hoaxer Harry will be along with five more ways to get around the block.

They can quite selling blocks of hundreds of numbers to companies so if you block that number the just go to next hundred in line to call you. But, it’s not in their interest to do that is it protect pigeons.

It s damn shame you can’t answer phone without be bombarded with sleazy sales pitches disguised which IMO only purpose is to scam the old and not so savvy victims.

If you tobacco company you don’t encourage quite smoking. Same goes for telephone companies they are the provider and could care less what the provider does with there product as long as the get paid.

Topspinmo 06-13-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1657364)
I am lucky. I registered my phone on the government no call list....

:bowdown: now that funny :clap2::clap2: