Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Mushroom Season (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/mushroom-season-293416/)

Chatbrat 06-14-2019 09:06 AM

Mushroom Season

Looks like its going to be a banner mushroom season. What do you do for mushroom control, besides plucking them out?

vintageogauge 06-14-2019 09:50 AM

It's amazing that we had so much heat and dry weather up until a week ago and now the mushrooms are out everywhere.

Topspinmo 06-15-2019 03:52 PM

Toadstools

retiredguy123 06-15-2019 07:00 PM

I understand that these mushrooms are totally harmless to your yard. I am amazed at how they seem to be able to appear from nowhere overnight.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-15-2019 09:11 PM

We have a cluster that grows in our house up north, right next to the driveway. A few years ago, an elderly man (in his 90's) came to our door asking if he could have it. After a brief conversation, we learned that the cluster was not only edible, it was delicious and nutritious. We let him have it, and he came back the following years as well. Last year he didn't come. We're hoping he's alive and well and just busy with other things. But we took the cluster our ourselves. It weighed nearly 10 pounds. They're ringless honey mushrooms, aka ringless honey fungus. In some parts of the world they're considered second in quality only to porcinis, but they have to be cooked, they can't be eaten raw.

Northwoods 06-15-2019 09:39 PM

Good post. We also have mushrooms. I don't like them and would like to do something to get rid of them.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-16-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 1658063)
Good post. We also have mushrooms. I don't like them and would like to do something to get rid of them.

The only way to truly get rid of mushrooms is to get rid of their food source. That means - no wood, no dense weed clusters (meaning, zoiysa or bermuda or st. andrews grass), and move your lawn to a climate hostile to fungal growth. There are fungicides you can use, and all kinds of steps you can take, but that'll just reduce the number of mushrooms that grow. It won't eliminate it. And as soon as they start growing you have to be right on top of them or they'll spread and you'll be back to square one the next year.

In addition, mushrooms are actually beneficial to your lawn. They help break down nutrients and absorb water. Think of it this way:

Mushrooms are natures way of nourishing and nurturing a lawn that probably shouldn't have been put there in the first place.

BoSox49 06-16-2019 08:17 AM

You can try dry soap powder if you can find any of that nowadays. Just sprinkle it on liberally and the mushrooms disappear.

Bogie Shooter 06-16-2019 08:35 AM

Or wait a few days and they will shrivel up and disappear.

Sparty6971 06-16-2019 02:24 PM

Very true Bogie. If you're real lucky, they will pop up the day before lawn refuse pick-up and you can pick your mushroom crop and add to the sticks and such in your paper bag. I'm usually not lucky like that of course.

Topspinmo 06-16-2019 03:12 PM

What’s different between mushrooms and toadstools????????????? Mushroom are edible. Toadstools are not. I bet those popping up in flower beds are NOT edible and are 99.9999999% toadstools.

philnpat 06-16-2019 04:31 PM

I use an 8 iron. :icon_wink:

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-16-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1658223)
What’s different between mushrooms and toadstools????????????? Mushroom are edible. Toadstools are not. I bet those popping up in flower beds are NOT edible and are 99.9999999% toadstools.

Toadstool is just another name for mushroom, which is just a fleshy, spore-bearing fruit of a fungus. The two words are interchangeable. Some mushrooms/toadstools/fungii fruit are edible, some are not.

simpkinp 06-16-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philnpat (Post 1658248)
I use an 8 iron. :icon_wink:

Easier for me with a putter.. Bad golfer here

Topspinmo 06-16-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1658260)
Toadstool is just another name for mushroom, which is just a fleshy, spore-bearing fruit of a fungus. The two words are interchangeable. Some mushrooms/toadstools/fungii fruit are edible, some are not.

Wants bet, toadstools are poisonous. The the difference mushrooms are edible and toadstools ARE NOT