Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Need computer advice (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/need-computer-advice-293616/)

BobnBev 06-17-2019 03:21 PM

Need computer advice

Looks like my wife's lenovo is on the way out. Anybody recommend a good 15" laptop. Her lenovo isn't all that old, and it's very slow. I'll be watching this thread closely, thanx. Bob:ho:

villagetinker 06-17-2019 03:38 PM

We have had very good luck well both Dell and Toshiba laptops, now depending on what she does, a chromebook may be a betteroption, but I have NO experience with these machines.

OMG! Just noticed I hit 5000 posts!!

Arctic Fox 06-17-2019 03:52 PM

I am thinking of buying an Acer with a Ryzen processor - check them out at Staples to see if one would meet your needs

BobnBev 06-17-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1658477)
We have had very good luck well both Dell and Toshiba laptops, now depending on what she does, a chromebook may be a betteroption, but I have NO experience with these machines.

Congrats!!!!

Chromebook is a separate OS, and is available in most laptops. I think I will stay with Windows OS. Seems like CB is very limited.

BobnBev 06-17-2019 03:55 PM

I have a Dell, and am satisfied with it, although it is very heavy.

CFrance 06-17-2019 04:27 PM

I have an old Dell that is still running. Windows XP! It weighs a ton. I keep it for sentimental reasons.

I have a new Dell that is very light. I bought it a year ago when my Toshiba crashed. I think my new Dell has a solid state hard drive, which makes it lighter. However, it's not 15". The graphics are excellent, and the colors are crystal clear.

It's an Inspiron 13 5000. I bought it in France when my Toshiba abruptly up and died. I'm not sure the model is named the same in the US.

dewilson58 06-17-2019 04:35 PM

Lenovo Yoga C930.............Love it.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-17-2019 04:56 PM

Lenovo makes solid laptops. HP does too. I'm an HP user.

If you want to try the Chromebook operating system instead of Windows, I'd say Acer and Asus do the best job with them.

Dell is very popular but most people who work on computers (meaning, in computer tech and repair) wouldn't pay a dime for one. I got suckered into buying one and it was defective. Replaced it with another, and it was so clunky and hard to configure and came with so much bloatware I switched back to HP and been happy since.

gatorbill1 06-17-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1658477)

Toshiba is out of personal computers - they were good.
Have an HP now that is OK, try to get one with intel chip. AMD chip is good for gaming, but not other stuff.

rjm1cc 06-17-2019 06:52 PM

Did you clean out old files and the start menu? If you have not run maintenance programs ask which programs to run and that may solve your problem. Also what % of the disk drive is empty? Probably 10% should be open if not more for good performance. Delete old data files.

JoelJohnson 06-17-2019 07:16 PM

The first question is what does your wife use her laptop for? Does she have "special" programs that run on Windows only that she downloaded, such as Quicken, TurboTax, anything like that or does all she do is online things, surf the web, banking, Facebook, etc.

Depending on the answer she has many options, if she has "special" programs that run on Windows only, then a new PC might be needed.

If all she does is online things then a Chromebook might work, A chromebook never gets a virus, everything is backed up on the web (I.E. cloud storage) and you can do spreadsheets and write documents (I.E. read in Excel or Word docs and save them in Chromebook form.

A third option is to convert her existing PC to Linux. (I've converted over a dozen of people here in The Villages to Linux Mint 19). Linux is another operating system. It has an office set of programs that is compatible with Windows and you don't have to worry about viruses, it will never bug you to do updates (you do them when you have time, if you do them at all). I use Linux Mint because it is the most Windows ish. By that I mean that once see it work you say to yourself, "gee, that's kind of like Windows".

I'll be giving a talk on Linux at the Eisenhower Center on July 15th at 1PM. Of the dozen of people that I've converted, no one has asked to go back to Windows.

NoMoSno 06-17-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1658507)
Toshiba is out of personal computers - they were good.
Have an HP now that is OK, try to get one with intel chip. AMD chip is good for gaming, but not other stuff.

Toshiba is still making great laptops.

Northerner52 06-17-2019 08:58 PM

I only buy Mac computers and laptops but if I was going to buy a Windows® I'd shop at Best Buy.

Uberschaf 06-18-2019 05:17 AM

First thing I would do is to run Malwarebytes and remove any baddies. If it is a win-10 machine you can reset it to factory default. It will offer a choice to "Keep my files" or "Remove everything," You would save your personal folder to a flash drive or external hard drive and choose "remove everything" then replace your personal folder.(your personal folder is on C:/users/name of computer)

Northerner52 06-18-2019 05:30 AM

I would get an SSD drive Super fast and no spinning disks to crash. A Hybrid if no SSD