Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   New York Style Pizza (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/new-york-style-pizza-294055/)

retiredguy123 06-24-2019 12:46 PM

New York Style Pizza
 
Lots of restaurants in The Villages advertise that they serve New York style pizza. When I worked, I travelled to NY City a lot. I would often buy a slice of pizza at a local pizza place. It was less than a half inch thick and had equal amounts of sauce and cheese. The sauce was the best part. Some New Yorkers would fold the pizza in half and eat it like a sandwich. Is that still the way they make it in New York? None of the so called New York style pizza I have had here is anything like that. It's too thick, has too much cheese, and you can barely taste the sauce. Definitely not foldable.

EricN 06-24-2019 12:59 PM

Yes, that is still how they make it in NYC. Thin crust, spread the tomato sauce, then sprinkle on the cheese. For a quick slice in NY Penn Station, Rosie's is hard to beat.

gatorbill1 06-24-2019 02:57 PM

Can't get NY pizza in FLA - just people who say they have NY pizza

Chatbrat 06-24-2019 03:12 PM

All the pizza here is meant to be eaten with a knife & fork, NYC style--foretabboutit

rjm1cc 06-24-2019 03:27 PM

Try Sammy's Italian

Address: 9668 N, US-301, Wildwood, FL 34785

retiredguy123 06-24-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1659974)
Try Sammy's Italian

Address: 9668 N, US-301, Wildwood, FL 34785

Did you read my mind? Believe it or not, I actually just went there today for lunch, which prompted my post. I had a "New York style" cheese pizza. It was too thick, had too much cheese, and very little sauce. Nothing like a real New York pizza. Although, I should add that many people like Sammy's, but it is not what I know to be New York style. I think that I have eaten almost every pizza sold in The Villages area.

RAAndre 06-24-2019 03:42 PM

Could not find decent "Northeast" style pizza in the villages. Good pizza not only comes from New York, but add New England to the region that knows good pizza - Boston, Providence, New Haven . . . name it.
Now, where is the best pizza and Italian food in this area? In my Northend Boston opinion go to Belleview Pizza up in Belleview. It's the best we have found. BOGO PASTA DINNERS 3 -5 weekdays!
WARNING: Doesn't open until 3PM. CASH ONLY!

Aw Man 06-24-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1659978)
Did you read my mind? Believe it or not, I actually just went there today for lunch, which prompted my post. I had a "New York style" cheese pizza. It was too thick, had too much cheese, and very little sauce. Nothing like a real New York pizza. Although, I should add that many people like Sammy's, but it is not what I know to be New York style. I think that I have eaten almost every pizza sold in The Villages area.

Have you tried NYPD Pizza on 446, just east of 301?
They have Sicilian thick crust pie AND ALSO have New York style hand-tossed, thin crust pie baked in a stone oven. The thin crust folds nicely for a nice big bite.

Also, did you know that you can order thin crust pizza at Giovanni's Ristorante a little farther east on 446?
You have to ask for the thin crust as their normal pizza has a thicker non-foldable crust. The thin crust style folds nicely and has what I think is a pretty good mix of sauce and cheese.

retiredguy123 06-24-2019 04:40 PM

I have tried NYPD, but maybe not the thin crust. Have not tried Giovanni's, but I will get to it.

capecoralbill 06-24-2019 04:41 PM

I tried NYPD Pizza on 466, just east of 301, it is the 2nd worst pizza i have ever eaten. First worst was Jerry's in Mt Pleasant Ia in 1968.

dewilson58 06-24-2019 05:19 PM

Great, this again.




:ohdear:

B-flat 06-24-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAAndre (Post 1659980)
Could not find decent "Northeast" style pizza in the villages. Good pizza not only comes from New York, but add New England to the region that knows good pizza - Boston, Providence, New Haven . . . name it.
Now, where is the best pizza and Italian food in this area? In my Northend Boston opinion go to Belleview Pizza up in Belleview. It's the best we have found. BOGO PASTA DINNERS 3 -5 weekdays!
WARNING: Doesn't open until 3PM. CASH ONLY!

Right on RAAndre, I’m a Providence boy can’t touch what we have here in Providence/Boston/NY area. So many good choices but so far Caserta’s in Providence tops our list.
Here in the greater Villages area I’m with you Bellview Pizza is the best we have found too. :bigbow:

Aw Man 06-24-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capecoralbill (Post 1659991)
I tried NYPD Pizza on 446, just east of 301, it is the 2nd worst pizza i have ever eaten. First worst was Jerry's in Mt Pleasant Ia.

Geez, why do you have to pick on Jerry, the poor man just had to close down his Mt Pleasant, Iowa, restaurant on this past May 11th, after 52 years in business.
Jerry said it was getting too hard to find good employees and he's been sitting in a wheelchair while cooking in the kitchen for the past several years.
Many of the town's 8,600 residents packed his place during the last week it was open, some of them of waiting up to 3 hours for their pizza. Many of the customers standing in line said Jerry always made the best pizza in south-east Iowa.

Mikeod 06-24-2019 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 79978

dewilson58 06-24-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1660037)

:bigbow:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Content, Design and Layout may not be reproduced
Copywrite 2006-2017 This site is owned and operated by TalkofTheVillages.com and is not affliated with the The Villages or The Villages development company.