Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Garage flooring (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/garage-flooring-294056/)

Md girl 06-24-2019 01:12 PM

Garage flooring

What’s the best floor for our garage
Tile to epoxy

retiredguy123 06-24-2019 01:16 PM

Epoxy. But, don't do it yourself. And , make sure it has some type of texture on the surface to prevent it from being slippery when wet.

Md girl 06-24-2019 01:17 PM

Do u have someone u could recommend Thanks

retiredguy123 06-24-2019 01:24 PM

Tim Miller, 352-217-0561.

villagetinker 06-24-2019 01:29 PM

I agree with above, you need to have "shark grip" or equal added to the final coat, or you will have a skating rink when wet.

MCJEFE 07-03-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Md girl (Post 1659939)
What’s the best floor for our garage

Tile to epoxy

Do your research first. There's many different types (not brands) of epoxy flooring out there. First and most important thing for any type of flooring is getting the prep done correctly. If done correctly the prep will usually take much longer than applying the epoxy and will typically involve surface grinding, acid washing, pressure washing, drying and moisture testing. This process will usually take 2-3 days minimum but will give you the best chance of your beautiful new floor not sticking to your hot tires and peeling up.

Surface prep should address: any oil or other spills, cleaning, surface profile (for grip) and moisture content/dryness.

Some systems may require an additional coat or two such as a moisture barrier/sealer or primer.

But no matter what there should be a minimum of a base coat and topcoat.

Use only a "2 part 100% solids epoxy"!!! Anything other than a 100% solids and your paying for solvents that just evaporate away.

The thicker/softer base coat will provide the high build and smooth out smaller imperfections in the floor.

Next flakes may be cast onto the wet base coat for texture and color.

Whether to flake or not...

Flakes look cool, provide some texturing, hide dirt and allow you personalize with colors. The downside is that it can give a busy appearance and can make finding things that you have dropped difficult, think itty bitty screw...

No flakes gives a brighter, cleaner appearance and makes finding little dropped things a breeze. Solid color floors also show dirt and damage more than flake floors.

This should be followed with a chemical resistant urethane topcoat with an anti-slip additive.

There are different types of urethane topcoats that provide the thin hard chemical (gas, solvents etc.) and abrasion (tires, sand, grit) protection for the floor. This layer will gradually wear away.

Urethane topcoats should be reapplied whenever the floor begins to show wear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Northerner52 07-20-2019 09:00 AM

Just got two quotes for my Begonia garage with GK. Both were using Florida Paint products. One was going to paint it for under $800 and the other $1300 Epoxy. I saw a recent painted floor and it was dull. The Epoxy was bright and shinny. Went with Hand Design /Ocala.

Biker Dog 07-21-2019 04:45 AM

I would have the floor stained. Had all 3 of ours stained and they look great.

mtdjed 07-21-2019 05:33 AM

Another option, Garage Snap Tiles. Very durable. Have had these for 12 years. Good as new. Only maintenance is a mop a couple of times a year. Hard plastic tile that lays over existing floor. Not as pretty as good epoxy job but it is a garage. Can be a do it yourself job but some edge cutting necessary at walls. We chose to get ours installed so no surprises.

garage snap tiles - Bing - Shopping

jojo 07-21-2019 05:41 AM

We are delighted with our epoxy floor. Tim Miller did it.

scottiee 07-21-2019 06:37 AM

Mine was done by Tim Miller it looked perfect for 2 years. Now the sealer is peeling up and it is discolored. I called them and was told the use a different material now that's better, great but mine looks bad.

retiredguy123 07-21-2019 06:49 AM

I once installed a plastic floor that I purchased online from Costco. It was very easy to install, and worked great. But, my garage was very old and would have required a lot of prep to use epoxy. If the concrete is new, I would use epoxy with a texture and have an experienced professional do it. I understand that you can use the same concrete stain that they use for driveways, but it is not as durable as epoxy, and it will break down if you spill any petroleum, like gasoline, on it. I don't think epoxy is allowed to be installed on a driveway.

Liquid Floors USA 08-14-2019 08:36 AM

Liquid Floors USA provides a polyurea polyaspartic full flake floor coating that is completed in 1 Day and you can drive on it the next day backed by a lifetime warranty. 352-518-0855

DadsGarage 09-10-2019 11:56 AM

Hi, Did you get your floor done yet?

I had Tru-Grit do mine and it is fantastic. James is awesome (863) 670-9270.