Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Feminine Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/)
-   -   Men coming into our space in the supermarket (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/men-coming-into-our-space-supermarket-294117/)

Madelaine Amee 06-25-2019 04:34 PM

Men coming into our space in the supermarket

ladies only ............. Several times lately, especially when I am in Aldi's, I have found men (old men) pushing too far into my personal space. This morning I had a really annoying encounter with a nasty looking old man who got behind me in the check out line. I was oblivious to him. I always unload my cart from the front onto the belt because my arms are not long enough to unload from the push area!!!! I positioned myself at the Cashier's station and proceeded to unload my cart onto the belt, those cashiers are great and my items were disappearing fast into her basket at her end. Suddenly this elderly man started to push his cart into mine, I looked up in surprise and he used his hands in a way to shoo me along. He had plenty of room to unload his cart onto the belt, but for some reason completely unknown to me he wanted me to move further down through the check out area.

This morning was not the morning ..... I looked him right in the eye and said in a very load voice "What". He buckled immediately and started to shush me. To which I said "What is your problem" and continued to finish my purchase. He could not get out of the store fast enough.

I have to add to this .......... I have NEVER been harassed or bothered by a woman while waiting in line to check out. I have, in fact, met the nicest and funniest ladies in the check out line. On the other hand, how many times have I had a man make it known by deep sighing and being a pain in the butt, that they are late for something or other and don't want to wait in a line. I guess it's a guy thing ....................

Ladies, why do some of these men think they can MOVE us out of their way, or SHOVE us out of their way? Is this how they treat their wives?

OK, that is my rant, it has been simmering all day and thank goodness for TOTV so that I can let it out. By the way, I have a great husband who would never treat a woman in such a way!

CFrance 06-25-2019 04:41 PM

Good for you, Madeleine. Take the bully down!

Velvet 06-25-2019 04:48 PM

Sorry that happened to you. I wonder what he would have done if you looked him straight in the eyes and said: “Excuse me, I need more space. Please move back,” in your best teacher’s voice.
People tend to live up to your expectations I find. Some people need direct instructions. I have met pushy women too, by the way, it’s not just the guys.

manaboutown 06-25-2019 05:22 PM

Pushy women get into my space from time to time. A few are welcome to do so but most are not.

karostay 06-25-2019 06:21 PM

Uggg !

Madelaine Amee 06-25-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1660206)
Pushy women get into my space from time to time. A few are welcome to do so but most are not.

Sorry .......... no men allowed on the Feminine Forum :ohdear:

Velvet 06-25-2019 06:54 PM

I didn’t realize men weren’t allowed... how very nice to have our own Forum :):):)

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-25-2019 07:02 PM

I've experienced this from men and women. And as a cashier, I've observed it happen TO both men and women, BY both men and women. What I have also observed, is that it's common for a woman to get "too close" to another woman, and the woman they got too close to, apologizes. I don't know why they do that.

But if someone bumps into you, don't apologize for being in their way. It's a very strange thing I've observed, and I have never seen a man apologize for someone else bumping into them. Only women.

NotGolfer 06-25-2019 07:13 PM

I've had both women and men do this to me. It's disconcerting to say the least. The other day I felt a cart hit me from behind...I couldn't unload just yet due to the person ahead of me. Then I sensed something and this woman pushed past me saying "I need to get some mints". Like, what? Couldn't she have waited til she had easier access? I was taken aback by this. Next time...I may have to say something like "excuse me...is there not enough room here?" Or something along those lines. NOT sure what's up with people.......

chrisinva 06-25-2019 07:16 PM

ladies only

[QUOTE=Madelaine Amee;1660195]ladies only ............. Several times lately, especially when I am in Aldi's, I have found men (old men) pushing too far into my personal space. This morning I had a really annoying encounter with a nasty looking old man who got behind me in the check out line. I was oblivious to him. I always unload my cart from the front onto the belt because my arms are not long enough to unload from the push area!!!! I positioned myself at the Cashier's station and proceeded to unload my cart onto the belt, those cashiers are great and my items were disappearing fast into her basket at her end. Suddenly this elderly man started to push his cart into mine, I looked up in surprise and he used his hands in a way to shoo me along. He had plenty of room to unload his cart onto the belt, but for some reason completely unknown to me he wanted me to move further down through the check out area.

This morning was not the morning ..... I looked him right in the eye and said in a very load voice "What". He buckled immediately and started to shush me. To which I said "What is your problem" and continued to finish my purchase. He could not get out of the store fast enough.

I have to add to this .......... I have NEVER been harassed or bothered by a woman while waiting in line to check out. I have, in fact, met the nicest and funniest ladies in the check out line. On the other hand, how many times have I had a man make it known by deep sighing and being a pain in the butt, that they are late for something or other and don't want to wait in a line. I guess it's a guy thing ....................

Ladies, why do some of these men think they can MOVE us out of their way, or SHOVE us out of their way? Is this how they treat their wives?

OK, that is my rant, it has been simmering all day and thank goodness for TOTV so that I can let it out. By the way, I have a great husband who would never treat a woman in such a way![

Glad you vented. I completely agree - men do this but women don't, or rarely do it. It has happened to me. The only conclusion I can come to is that they are completely unaware (idiots!). ]

Velvet 06-25-2019 07:36 PM

Something similar has happened to me, a guy pushed his grocery cart into my ankle... I yelped in pain and surprise as I heard my hubby roar: “That’s my wife!” The guy made a quick get away - wisely choosing not to confront. (Surprise sometimes catches one off guard.)

TheWarriors 06-25-2019 08:39 PM

Stupidity and rudeness are not owned by one gender, it’s an equal opportunity employer.

manaboutown 06-25-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarriors (Post 1660251)
Stupidity and rudeness are not owned by one gender, it’s an equal opportunity employer.

I agree. Some of these old bags act like they own the store. “Get out of my way!l.

Fredman 06-26-2019 04:41 AM

I love the women who will slow everything down by digging out 99 cents out of their change purse.

Two Bills 06-26-2019 05:02 AM

Me too!

Madelaine Amee 06-26-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1660269)
I agree. Some of these old bags act like they own the store. “Get out of my way!l.

Now really, is that necessary? "OLD BAG"

dewilson58 06-26-2019 05:44 AM

I would bet this guy acts the same towards men as well, not just beautiful women.

This are places and times for mini-tasers.

Bay Kid 06-26-2019 05:52 AM

Just grumpy old people. The heat will heat these problems up more. Be nice and people will be nice.

Madelaine Amee 06-26-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1660276)
I would bet this guy acts the same towards men as well, not just beautiful women.

This are places and times for mini-tasers.

:icon_wink: Off topic for one minute ... I don't know if it is available yet, but there is a cell phone with a built in taser. Can you imagine that .... if you anger someone they taser you!

aninjamom 06-26-2019 06:25 AM

It has been tested and is a fact; men assume that they have the right of way over women. If walking towards a man, a woman will find herself stepping out of the way. Very seldom is it the other way around. I have encountered this myself, a guy will practically run you over if you don't move. I was actually unconscious of this most of my life until it was pointed out! Next time you are at the square or in a store, try it and see.

Madelaine Amee 06-26-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aninjamom (Post 1660284)
It has been tested and is a fact; men assume that they have the right of way over women. If walking towards a man, a woman will find herself stepping out of the way. Very seldom is it the other way around. I have encountered this myself, a guy will practically run you over if you don't move. I was actually unconscious of this most of my life until it was pointed out! Next time you are at the square or in a store, try it and see.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I think the women born before the boomers were brought up to be subservient to men in every way. I have a neighbor and a friend who is a new widow who have both told me they had to have the meal on the table when the man got home, the children had to be her responsibility and out of the way until he had eaten, the women could only do menial task jobs outside the home (nothing professional) and tend to their homes and their family. So it is probably very difficult for these much older men to get it through their head that times have changed. I now know women who are the breadwinners and the husband is the house husband who takes care of the home and the children. Unfortunately, I think we have to wait for the older generation of men to die off before much changes.

In my home things were so very different. My Mother was a college educated women with a degree, my Father was an Engineer. She worked for as long as I can remember, he had his own business. I adored my Father who was so proud of us all and I married a man very much like my Father in his thinking. I take care of my husband because I WANT to, not because it is expected of me and my husband treats me the same way.

rjn5656 06-26-2019 09:07 AM

I don't think it is men per se, but some of the few villagers who think they are entitled or self important that infringe on all of us whether in the market, on the road, at the restaurants or the golf courses. They are that way no matter where they go. But the rest of the people here are wonderful.

Marathon Man 06-26-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Please provide your supporting data.

Velvet 06-26-2019 09:28 AM

Velvet 06-26-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 1660321)
I don't think it is men per se, but some of the few villagers who think they are entitled or self important that infringe on all of us whether in the market, on the road, at the restaurants or the golf courses. They are that way no matter where they go. But the rest of the people here are wonderful.

There are some people with Alzheimer’s or dementia that may be effecting their behavior.

Velvet 06-26-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1660326)

Video tape the incident next time and post it.

jim1941 06-26-2019 10:15 AM

"Nasty looking old man".......really........how about "Inconsiderate elderly man" Don't judge all of us by the actions of one.

Velvet 06-26-2019 10:42 AM

Yes, I agree with not judging the gender.

aninjamom 06-26-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

What Happens When a Woman Walks Like a Man?

This was one of a few informal tests that were done out there. You don't have to believe me, it's easy to prove; just have your wife walk a few feet in front of you in a crowd or down a busy sidewalk/store, and tell her to not get out of anybody's way. She doesn't have to be aggressive about it, just walking normally. Then watch. Try not to hit anybody.

Velvet 06-26-2019 11:11 AM

Interesting reading, I wonder where the experiment was done.

Madelaine Amee 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1941 (Post 1660347)
"Nasty looking old man".......really........how about "Inconsiderate elderly man" Don't judge all of us by the actions of one.

"Nasty looking old man Yes, he really was a nasty looking old man. Not too clean, big tall person who towered over me, and the expression on his face was really unpleasant. On reflection I am sure he was probably a very unhappy person just trying to get through his day. But, this is not the way to do it. Had he smiled and asked me if I could move forward I would have been pleased to oblige him, but DO NOT EVER shush a woman you do not know in a public place, or you pay the consequences - he will never do it again.

The reason for my annoyance is lost on the MEN who are replying here. This world has changed. This person had no reason AT ALL to talk to me, try to move me up, shush me and shoo me further down the check out line. He had half the belt to unload his items, the cashier in Aldi's is lightening fast and I was almost done when this altercation happened, and there was plenty of room for both he and I to unload. I had already placed the spacer at the end of my shopping so that he could proceed to unload. The whole point of this discussion is that he felt he was entitled to address me in such a way without even knowing me. Those days are gone, long gone and he was fortunate that I was not a young women who would have really torn him up one side and down the other.

manaboutown 06-26-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1660275)
Now really, is that necessary? "OLD BAG"

Trade you one old bag for one nasty looking old man?

Seriously, The Villages is for the most part a community of seniors. Look at the parking, driving through roundabouts, autos on cart paths, left turns from right lanes and so on. People can be on behavior affecting meds, off their meds, suffering a degree of dementia, unable to hear, see, balance like younger folks. Give other seniors a break. Most of us are just trying to remain independent as long as we can.

stan the man 06-26-2019 01:58 PM

Just wondering if you had you dogi in the shopping cart. Just trying to figure out why he was so disrespectful to you. You sound like such a nice person

Marathon Man 06-26-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1660386)
Just wondering if you had you dogi in the shopping cart. Just trying to figure out why he was so disrespectful to you. You sound like such a nice person

:clap2:

aninjamom 06-26-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1660386)

As if somehow SHE must have done something to CAUSE him to act that way. Really? Point made ladies.

Velvet 06-26-2019 02:35 PM

The thing is if you’re in a hurry, shop at off hours.

Madelaine Amee 06-26-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aninjamom (Post 1660391)
As if somehow SHE must have done something to CAUSE him to act that way. Really? Point made ladies.

They just don't get it.

Henryk 06-26-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Oh, Pull-eese.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-26-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

You contradict yourself. In your first sentence you put the burden on the man, with his assumption of his rights over women. In the very next sentence you put the burden on the woman, who takes the action in the situation.

Perhaps if it's the man who's assuming he has the right of way, it's because women keep moving to the side whenever they approach a man. Maybe if you stop moving to the side, men will stop continuing forward as if they own the space.

I only have this "problem" when I step aside. If I don't step aside, the other person does. Someone will always step aside. Sometimes it's the man, sometimes it's the woman. And sometimes, a man will hold the door for you and say something adorable like "beauty before age."

Boomer 06-26-2019 05:50 PM

My observation has been that we live in a time where we are seeing the behavioral result of the amygdala under assault—way too many people spending way too much time tuned in to the constant barrage of flapping mouths spewing out reasons to be enraged and fearful.

I think it has changed some people who are more susceptible for whatever reason and get caught up in all that negative emotion, hatefulness that has been so easily tapped into. Never questioning why. They scowl. They rant. They subconsciously look for ways to feel power — especially where they feel no risk from the person they go after.

Or maybe that guy has been an @$$#&*e all his life.